Stripping wax from dealer

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
Hi all,
I just purchased a '08 Mustang Bullitt in Highland green. The car has wax on it from the dealer. I want to do a full on detail this weekend. Wash, clay , wash, polish, lsp. The car some water spots from being outside at the dealership so I know that I will have a tuff task ahead of me to remove them as I don't know how long they have been on the car. I was thinking of using dawn on the initial wash. What do you guys think ?
Thanks. :beer:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
that's a great way to get any exsisting wax off the car. Usually at the beginning of every season that's what I do...give the car a good bath with Joy or whatever and then begin the waxing process.

spike_africa

Established Member
When you clay it will remove the wax and dawn or joy is not made for rubber. Just wash the car use the clay and you will be fine. No need to use dish soap on a car ever.

mystic04

Established Member
If Dawn was made for cars it would say on the bottle. Dawn car and dish washing soap. last time i check it just said dish washing soap.

oldmodman

Established Member
Posts 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7 are all correct.

The clay alone will remove the previous layer of wax without causing any damage to the finish.

After the clay just start your usual detailing procedure.

mixxer

Established Member
[1] Actually dawn does not stip all products from paint. [2]Its does not have proper lubricity for washing anything other than dishes. [3] It also is not the proper PH level for washing a vehicle which causes hardening ,cracking and discoloration of rubber gaskets and seals.

This is directly from dawns web site

Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?

Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.

VoodooSNK

Established Member
Haha washing hair.... It works really good for your hands if you just got done working on the car and don't have any Gojo or the like.

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
[1] Actually dawn does not stip all products from paint. [2]Its does not have proper lubricity for washing anything other than dishes. [3] It also is not the proper PH level for washing a vehicle which causes hardening ,cracking and discoloration of rubber gaskets and seals.

This is directly from dawns web site

Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?

Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair.
Thanks Mixxer.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread