Stress at work

Zemedici

Established Member
I hated working for people dumber than me and that takes a lot.

Jesus that’s 99.9% of employers nowadays

Don’t take anything but $150 to ‘start a business’ and start hiring people

Should be an aptitude test at minimum imo

Lots of people who are in business, shouldn’t be.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Stress is why I have zero aspirations to become a manager. I’m perfectly content being a stress free indian at work. In my field, you become married to the company when you join management. The phone never stops ringing and you have to answer the phone on weekends and after hours as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not "that" company but all companies.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Not "that" company but all companies.

Ya I suppose you are correct. You give them an inch and they take a mile. As a regular pipeline guy I catch my boss slowly giving me more and more responsibility and I’m doing things that our foreman should be doing. I don’t necessarily mind as I like to stay busy but there is some people who will throw a tantrum, get the union involved and file grievances etc refuse to do the work. I’m just not that guy, I like to keep the peace.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t hate my job. But I sure as **** wouldn’t be doing it if they didn’t pay me.

Once I’m 60, adios bitches.

Even my great days at work are mediocre days at home.

Not sure if that means my hone life sucks as bad as work, or if work is as good as home life

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t hate my job. But I sure as **** wouldn’t be doing it if they didn’t pay me.

Once I’m 60, adios bitches.

Even my great days at work are mediocre days at home.

Not sure if that means my hone life sucks as bad as work, or if work is as good as home life

Couldn't agree more on all of this.

Love my job and my company. 0 complaints. They treat us exceptionally good. But my best day at work is still worse than my worse day doing projects or just hanging around at home.

59.5 and im done. Draw on retirement and catch me in the garage if you need me (or the desert).

Adower

Established Member
Stress is why I have zero aspirations to become a manager. I’m perfectly content being a stress free indian at work. In my field, you become married to the company when you join management. The phone never stops ringing and you have to answer the phone on weekends and after hours as well.

I'm a govt employee and my buddy just took a leap to management. He got a 10% pay raise but also now works 60 hours a week min.

He keeps saying that the 10% pay raise was awesome but then I tell him you're actually making less than you were when working hourly since you're now working 80 hours more a month. It still hasn't clicked for him lol.

Adower

Established Member
Couldn't agree more on all of this.

Love my job and my company. 0 complaints. They treat us exceptionally good. But my best day at work is still worse than my worse day doing projects or just hanging around at home.

59.5 and im done. Draw on retirement and catch me in the garage if you need me (or the desert).
Same here. Love my job, but if I didn't need to be there I wouldn't be.

tistan

Established Member

I 100% agree. Things as simple as scheduling is a lost concept on most small business owners. There has been so much work available over the last few years that it is almost impossible to fail. It is going to be fun to watch them fail over the next couple years of recession. It will also magically cure the employee shortage problem.

C2tuck

Established Member

Yep. I got so tired of putting up with stupid. It’s crazy how many people own businesses and don’t know how to work every position.

I pay the shit out of my guys, and once the word got out, I had the top 10% of operators in the nation calling me and begging for a spot. I have more guys come work for me from out of state than I do in state. I hook them up with a trailer to chill in during their shift that costs me about $20k a pop to have custom built. I tell them all if they have a better way, I’m all ears, and I actually mean it. If they want to change their schedule, I don’t care, as long as it’s covered.

I’ve had several guys tell me I’ll have to call the Sheriff if I were to fire them. Have had zero guys quit on me in 4 years, have had zero accidents, and two hours of down time.

It’s worth what they cost to me, because they run and manage themselves. My biggest problem is they all want to call and bullshit with me ALL the time.

I figured it out, and I’m just regular guy with a GED and no degree.

Common sense isn’t taught in school.

Zemedici

Established Member
I 100% agree. Things as simple as scheduling is a lost concept on most small business owners. There has been so much work available over the last few years that it is almost impossible to fail. It is going to be fun to watch them fail over the next couple years of recession. It will also magically cure the employee shortage problem.

man scheduling, invoicing, handling breaking of policy, you name it. The 'basics' arent so basic anymore it seems.
Yep. I got so tired of putting up with stupid. It’s crazy how many people own businesses and don’t know how to work every position.

I pay the shit out of my guys, and once the word got out, I had the top 10% of operators in the nation calling me and begging for a spot. I have more guys come work for me from out of state than I do in state. I hook them up with a trailer to chill in during their shift that costs me about $20k a pop to have custom built. I tell them all if they have a better way, I’m all ears, and I actually mean it. If they want to change their schedule, I don’t care, as long as it’s covered.

I’ve had several guys tell me I’ll have to call the Sheriff if I were to fire them. Have had zero guys quit on me in 4 years, have had zero accidents, and two hours of down time.

It’s worth what they cost to me, because they run and manage themselves. My biggest problem is they all want to call and bullshit with me ALL the time.

Love it. Difference between a boss and a leader. Anyone can be a boss, and just order people around. It takes a special skillset to be able to lead people and improve their performance.

Leaders lead from the ****ing front. Not in the back. As you said, should be able to do any job in the place, in case a persons out, you dont cease all production entirely, the void can be easily solved, etc. And to get top performance you need to pay top pay, it only makes sense. You are a wise man.

Last line hits home, common sense isnt / cant be taught. And by god its not so common anymore. Great post.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

You hiring? Lol jk

The EPA pays me to sleep

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I'm a govt employee and my buddy just took a leap to management. He got a 10% pay raise but also now works 60 hours a week min.

He keeps saying that the 10% pay raise was awesome but then I tell him you're actually making less than you were when working hourly since you're now working 80 hours more a month. It still hasn't clicked for him lol.

I’m kind of a pseudo gov employee. My company performs a service to the state of CA (treated potable water). So I guess you could say I’m a state employee but we don’t report to the state or take state funds. The pay gap between management and the ground level employees is often pretty close to what us mechanics make. Between standby, shutdowns, and regular Friday OT, we often rival and surpass a managers salary without the stress and headaches. Most of management is working on their 2nd if not 3rd marriage. My boss has hinted to us that there’s trouble in paradise and he is fairly young, mid 40’s. My last shutdown check I rubbed it in my friends face who took the management plunge, he said he missed those checks. Not to mention the +$2k in per diem for working out of section.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I pity the poor guys who love work days as much as days off. How sad.

Without contrast all days would feel the same. Wallowing in mediocrity, sameness and blandiose dullard boredom.

How do you fully appreciate cruising on a warm summer day when you never experience snow and putting the car to bed for who knows how long?

Yup, I feel bad for those guys.

That said, I wouldn't mind trying it. But not a steady diet of it. Maybe a decade or so. No more.
That’s an odd way of looking at it. Most people who enjoy their jobs had jobs previously that they hated. So, they appreciate the new job so much more now that they actually get enjoyment from it.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I guess a better way to put it would be what someone else said. Would you still do your job if you didn’t get paid? For me I would. Not 40 hours but I’d definitely still do it.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I'm always shocked at how yuge the population of people that are afraid to look for a better job is. They're always out there. I've left good jobs for great jobs, and great jobs for awesome jobs. They have me on a management trainee lol track at work and I'm not going to even think about signing up for writing reviews for anything less than another $100k/yr. 10% more, you're kidding right?

C2tuck

Established Member
man scheduling, invoicing, handling breaking of policy, you name it. The 'basics' arent so basic anymore it seems.

Love it. Difference between a boss and a leader. Anyone can be a boss, and just order people around. It takes a special skillset to be able to lead people and improve their performance.

Leaders lead from the ****ing front. Not in the back. As you said, should be able to do any job in the place, in case a persons out, you dont cease all production entirely, the void can be easily solved, etc. And to get top performance you need to pay top pay, it only makes sense. You are a wise man.

Last line hits home, common sense isnt / cant be taught. And by god its not so common anymore. Great post.

Appreciate the kind words.

There are only a few things you have to do that make all the difference…

1. Be transparent and honest.

2. Don’t be greedy.

3. Never ask someone to do something you yourself wouldn’t do.

4. Just something I’ve always done…Say I’m introducing one of my guys to a consultant, I say here is so and so, he works WITH me. I never say someone works FOR me.

Users who are viewing this thread