Strengthening the driveline

gqneon

Established Member
So, at this stage i find myself with an S550 MT82 car with a blower that loves to spin the tires in the first three gears enough to be slower in the eighth mile than it was stock.

To run and leave the box on slicks or drag radials, I now have to have real concerns about being able to drive it home afterwards if I don't add some DSS axles and maybe a driveshaft. Or just a hard street launch could end my cars day really.

So if I go with an RXT clutch, driveshaft, and axles, what's the next weakest link on the car (skipping driver mod jokes lol)?

It's sort of the proverbial, "What breaks next?" question. I assume the trans or mounts, etc, but have never had a forced induction Mustang before.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The weakest link will be the mt-82 after you do all your mods.....tremec magnum xl solves that issue!

gqneon

Established Member
Mgw shifter

Axles

Driveshaft and a loop

Tires

BMR CB005

Adjustable shocks.
Got my MGW on order a week ago, and I was underneath putting on my braided steel clutch line today and checked clearances underneath for the shifter install and it didn't look too bad at all. I'd love to put a new driveshaft in at the same time but I guess that can wait for now.

Axles look deceivingly easy to install, are there some pitfalls or is it literally pry them out and slide new ones on?

Driveshaft looks like an hour tops, tires are going to be a huge upgrade for me.
Debating on wider 20's to replace my track pack wheels or finding the right ones to hook up with usimg my factory 19's. It's a daily driver, so I'd like to have tires that get mileage and hook, but I know that's a give/take deal and you can't have both.

I don't know what the BMR thing is, haven't looked it up.

nicksender

Established Member
I would definitely consider half-shafts + sticky tires first for track/street insurance.

Followed after by an RXT clutch, MGW shifter, billet oil pump gears, billet lower crankshaft gears, and a driveshaft.

So about $4500-$5000 for the above parts if you are going to install them yourself.

That all just my opinion. Unfortunately it costs a lot more to run a manual car over an automatic if tracking it.

Users who are viewing this thread