street racing at 40mph ?

asinatra

Established Member
I was in my buddy's S and we were cruising around enjoying the car, and out of no where a cop gets on our rear, at least 10ft away. Pulls us over, me and my buddy are like wtf, confused at this point. Cop says we were racing and won! We were like ok and he gets into it about streetracing and how his car is red and exhaust... Well i was thinking why we got pulled over and before we hit the light the cop was at we were cruising in low gear at high speed (like 4500 out of a 9k engine, so it wasnt bad at all) and he thought we were racing the silly looking hatchback next to us? Cop was cool, just i am confused.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
If your question is whether or not you can be cited for participating in a street race that never exceeds 40 miles per hour, then the answer is: Yes.

In California speed contests of any kind are covered under section 23109 cvc. The code was amended recently to allow officers the discretion to arrest and tow the violators vehicle, so be careful. More and more pressure is being brought to bear on local PD's to take action against street racing.

The Fresno Bee had a large article devoted to the growing problems of street racing in your area.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Not sure about Texas, but you can in California.

Participating, Aiding, Abetting and Spectator are all citable roles in an illegal street race in California and I would not be surprised to see that it's the same in Texas since almost every state has taken a pretty dim view of the "sport".

PMystic

Cali street-racing

just went to court yesterday. Not car related but relevant. I ride a bike and I was smashing some throttle getting on the freeway when my front tire came up about 12-18 inches and I got a ticket for "exhibition of speed". He actually cited me for doing 50 in a 65. Found out from the pub defender that a wheelie is not exhibition of speed but "merely" wreckless. I asked him what constituted "exhibition" and he said "if an officer feels that you are showing off your vehicle in an attempt to provoke another motorist to race, or do become involved in a street/drag race". He even confirmed my thoughts when i said, "kinda leaves it open for the cops word against yours, huh?" and he said "exactly, and the cops always win in court in these cases".
Long story short it got reduced to wreckless and I got off with 3 years probation and a $250 fine.
Basically, if there is some racing going on and youre around it, or watching, youre screwed in Cali.

jshen

Established Member
Probably Yes in TX

Definitely yes in most states..however Texas is a little vague...but I think if you're involved in any manner..you can be charged..

545.420. Racing on Highway

(a) A person may not participate in any manner in:

(1) a race;

(2) a vehicle speed competition or contest;

(3) a drag race or acceleration contest;

(4) a test of physical endurance of the operator of a vehicle; or

(5) in connection with a drag race, an exhibition of vehicle speed or
acceleration or to make a vehicle speed record.

I might add, there is a way this can become a felony in Texas

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
That kind of sucks. Every time I go to watch the races at an abandoned highway around here, the cops sometimes come. I never race, but they basically just tell us to leave.

SE01

Established Member
stanglover96 said:
What does that mean?

Probably something along the lines of if the driver can handle driving at a high rate of speed

HIGDON

Keeping The Red In
Established Member
First offense street racing is a Class B misdemeanor carrying up to a $2000 fine, up to 180 days in jail, and a mandatory loss off drivers license for 6 months. It's the same penalty for a DUI! I would know because back in September I was arrested for street racing. It's messed up because the report says I was racing a black mustang when in actuality I was racing a bright blue Sti. . . .I got $500 fine+ $213 court costs, 3 days in jail w/ 3 days credit, and 6mo suspension.

pimpleyva

editted by moderator.

Please read the guidelines specific to this forum. They are located at the top of the thread page.

If you can not post and follow the guidelines set forth for this forum then do not post here.

Last edited by a moderator:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
svtplaya said:
hahah thats funny a cop thinking ur racing when ur actually not ill slap that cop

Yea, yea yea..........and another example of a guy enjoying the buzz from his first beer. :loser: :loser: :loser:

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
mswaim said:
Not sure about Texas, but you can in California.

Participating, Aiding, Abetting and Spectator are all citable roles in an illegal street race in California and I would not be surprised to see that it's the same in Texas since almost every state has taken a pretty dim view of the "sport".

Sorry to sorta derail the thread but I gotta question. Is the punishment for spectating the same as actually participating? Always wondered that.

Users who are viewing this thread