Strange burning smell ?

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Now and then I smell a strange smell (kind of like plastic burning) coming from the rear end area of the car. It doesnt always smell kind of comes and goes. I put the car on a lift and checked it out nothing obvious no leaks etc. Anyone have a clue? I really dont want to go to the dealer if this is normal or if I can figure it out myself. Thanks for any, all help suggestions Eric

Flmx647

Established Member
IF I beat my car or do a big burn out I smell it too. I dont think it is a big deal. If we took our cars in everytime it makes a weird noise or smell I dont think we would ever get them out of the shop. lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It doesn't smell a bit like rotten eggs, does it? Mine occasionally did this. I had it with my stock cats and also with my Magnaflow catted X-pipe. If not, I don't have a clue. Did you check the underside of your rear bumper? Are the exhaust tips too close to the bumper?

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I dont think its a big deal just kind of wondering if other s have found out what this is..... Maybe I need to rip it through the gears a few times too clear her out :shrug: :burnout:

Venomous27

Inked Up
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
It doesn't smell a bit like rotten eggs, does it? Mine occasionally did this. I had it with my stock cats and also with my Magnaflow catted X-pipe. If not, I don't have a clue. Did you check the underside of your rear bumper? Are the exhaust tips too close to the bumper?

hey... does this ever go away eventually? I have this every time i romp on it... i only have 3000 miles on it...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
check the plastic shield that covers the gas tank

if improperly adjusted, aftermarket catbacks can sometimes be close enough to cause it to melt

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Look at the entire cat back path and make sure you're not too close to any plastic. If you're melting something, there should be some visual evidence.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Venomous27
hey... does this ever go away eventually? I have this every time i romp on it... i only have 3000 miles on it...
Some say it does, but I can only say that with the stock cats it happened more often than with the aftermarket cats. I'd say I'd smell it maybe once a month.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I have a burning rubber odor coming from the center console once in a while. Weird. :shrug:

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
I have a burning rubber odor coming from the center console once in a while. Weird. :shrug:

Maybe you should keep your rubbers in the glove box from now on!

ModMike1572

Established Member
Perfect time for this post!!!

i smelled that burning smell today..... and when i was on the lift getting guages put in, my friend noticed my axle was leaking oil.... not saying this is what the smell is, just that it was kinda weird.

mattz03svt

Just a normal poster
Established Member
Sometimes you will have a burning oil or engine smell coming out from your center consel vents. I found out that it is the DRIVERS SIDE PCV that plugs into the valve cover near the firewall. I got on my car a few time and when the engine torqs, it can pull the line tight and the PCV Valve won't be seated all the way. Just push it back in and the smell goes away. This probably doesn't pertain to you, but others that read the thread might have this problem

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
Update. Burning smell solved! It was a plastic bag on the top part of the stock hpipe. I didnt see it before kind of blended in to the rusty brown color of the stock pipe. Got it all scraped off there with a razor blade. Now the only burning smell will be the rear tires as it should be!

Users who are viewing this thread