Straight water for i/c system?

94slowbra1

Established Member
Is it ok to run straight water for the i/c system? I know coolant acts as a lubricant in the engine cooling system, is it needed for the i/c? Or are there any negative side effects to not running coolant or some other type if additive? Thanks

Rambro

Established Member
I run water in the summer with about half a bottle of purple ice to lube the pump.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Water here with a half bottle of water wetter here and there. I have an ice tank in trunk so it gets diluted out pretty fast

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Is it ok to run straight water for the i/c system? I know coolant acts as a lubricant in the engine cooling system, is it needed for the i/c? Or are there any negative side effects to not running coolant or some other type if additive? Thanks

Water cools better but offers no corrosion or freezing protection. I’m on the app so I can’t see where you live. If it gets below freezing where you are you just have to be mindful of that. A surprise cold front could cause a busted I/C. You see someone post about it every year

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

94slowbra1

Established Member
I'm in new Orleans, not too cold here.
That's why I want to run water only, better cooling but dont want any negatives from only water. I'll call Stewart and see what they suggest since I run their pump.

94slowbra1

Established Member
I just got off the phone with Stewart and they said the is no problems with just water going through the pump. There shouldn't be anything else that can corrode in the i/c system. So water it is

decipha

Established Member
im in new orleans as well and I only run water in all my vehicles. Other than back in January of 2017 when it dropped down to 20 degrees there really isn't any concern.

Users who are viewing this thread