Straight Pipes??

icehoc8

Established Member
Hey Guys, I have a 99 cobra with Jet chip and an intake. I was wodering if I were to buy a 3" cat back, take off the mufflers and put straight pipes on. would that help me with more performance then a cat back w/mufflers? or should i leave them on? if you are wondering do i care about the sound? police? NO. Don't give a hoot an hell about those PO PO's. Thanks

kwiksnake

Established Member
One of the magazines just did a dyno on mufflers and for S&G's, they tried it with just the h-pipe attached. It only gave it I think 3 more horse power. SO not really worth the aggravation of being pulled over every 10 minutes if you ask me. Plus your teeth won't rattle out either!

------------------
99 Cobra #443, born March 27, 1999
Rio Red/Medium Parchment
Bassani X-pipe with cats, Borla Cat Back
BBK Twin 62mm Throttle body, ASP underdrive pulleys, K&N filter
Pro 5.0 Shifter, FMS 3.73's, Abbot Speed Compensator
"COBRA" Rear bumper(wrecked the other one),
Cobra Grill insert, Cobra Floor Mats

Moderator: 99+ Cobras
www.svtperformance.com

icehoc8

Established Member
kwiksnake:

Where and how much did you pay for your "COBRA" bumper? I have been looking for one for quite some time. Do you have to have cats on your car inorder to pass smog?
Thanks

kwiksnake

Established Member
Well my dad owns a body shop, he got it direct from the Ford dealer for under $180. Yes I do have the cats on there, but I live where they don't do smog testing so I don't know if it would pass or not, but I'm sure it would.

RedCobraVert

Established Member
Bumper

You can get a Cobra bumper at Bumpers.com for about 160 usd - but it will need to be painted. Go to a dealership and have them match the paint - do not let them paint anything other than the bumper -

I am doing this soon..

RCV

REDLYNE

Established Member
be advised...

bumpers.com sells blemished, used, scracthed, and take-ff bumpers. That's why they are cheap.

Definitely worth it if you don't mind a slight blemish. Personally, I am WAY to anal to go this route. LOL!

RedCobraVert

Established Member
True on bumpers.com are issues at time - but if you buy a preped one then paint - much less risk.. They do not have Rio Red as it was not offered in 2000 or 2001

But if ford is selling for 180 - that is damn cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread