Storing Ethanol Fuels

prostkr

Established Member
Another place to get the drums from, is the operator of your local car wash. Their soap is delivered in the nice drums. I can get all I want for 15$ a piece. Takes no time to clean them out.

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
This same issue has been plaguing me for a while now so I can have true E85 in the spring. I just got off the phone with Central Iindiana Ethanol about this. I talked to one of the main guys there. They are the company that makes Ignite Race Fuels. They said a good clean steel drum off the ground a bit would be fine. All the ignite fuels as well as E85 they ship is in regular steel drums. They have never seen a problem in testing or the need for additives as long as the seal is good. Just figured I would share what I was told. I am picking up a VP M1 55 gallon drum today for my winter storage.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
This same issue has been plaguing me for a while now so I can have true E85 in the spring. I just got off the phone with Central Iindiana Ethanol about this. I talked to one of the main guys there. They are the company that makes Ignite Race Fuels. They said a good clean steel drum off the ground a bit would be fine. All the ignite fuels as well as E85 they ship is in regular steel drums. They have never seen a problem in testing as long as the seal is good. Just figured I would share what I was told. I am picking up a VP M1 55 gallon drum today for my winter storage.

do they ship 55 gal drums and how far?

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Jake, do you live in Massachusetts? From the map I have it looks like Cardinal Ethanol Plant in New Jersey They are out of Indiana but apparently they have numerous plants. Their contact number is 765-964-3137. Here is the site that has the map of all the plants U.S. & Canada Fuel Ethanol Plant Map - Ethanol Producer Magazine . It may be a little cheaper if they can ship it from there. I would try contacting a few plants around you if possible. If I can help in anyway let me know. It is starting to get cold so the time is getting short for true E85.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Jake, do you live in Massachusetts? From the map I have it looks like Cardinal Ethanol Plant in New Jersey They are out of Indiana but apparently they have numerous plants. Their contact number is 765-964-3137. Here is the site that has the map of all the plants U.S. & Canada Fuel Ethanol Plant Map - Ethanol Producer Magazine . It may be a little cheaper if they can ship it from there. I would try contacting a few plants around you if possible. If I can help in anyway let me know. It is starting to get cold so the time is getting short for true E85.

never really looked too far into it. Didnt know about that website...thanks

cobrasnake2003

Established Member
Ok so I just left our local speed shop with the VP 55 gallon drums. They all have an epoxy coating on the inside for corrosion and they are all the same from c16 to m1. I would say those would be the safest bet for storage. If there is a local speed shop near any of you that are planning on storing the core charge is only $10 a drum. I picked 4 up for $40 Like the owner told me....the m1 will sit over the winter and they never have a problem and it is more corrosive than ethanol. I would not see a problem with the epoxy coating. If a huge company like VP uses it it has to be safe and made specifically for fuel.

Last edited:

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Just curious on a few things, great info in this thread btw.

It sounds like the summer blend and winter blend of e85 varies. How/what are you guys using to test the e85? Does the tester give you a numeric ethanol reading?

I pretty much have been able to acquire a 55 gallon drum from a car wash and the hand crank pump you guys have posted here is what I would go with. Just curious as I will be storing / be getting tuned on e85 within the next few months and want to make sure i'm not getting something other than e85 or less since it's somewhat close to the winter months?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

It sounds like the summer blend and winter blend of e85 varies. How/what are you guys using to test the e85? Does the tester give you a numeric ethanol reading?

I pretty much have been able to acquire a 55 gallon drum from a car wash and the hand crank pump you guys have posted here is what I would go with. Just curious as I will be storing / be getting tuned on e85 within the next few months and want to make sure i'm not getting something other than e85 or less since it's somewhat close to the winter months?

look around the Distillery...lots of info on the blends and testing. Not sure you need to worry in Florida like I do in Massachusetts.

cobrasnake2003

Established Member

I use this tester...cheap and effective. Quick Fuel 36-E85 - Quick Fuel E85 Fuel Testers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Here is sort of a guide to when E85 changes in every state. E85 Mustangs.com - Regional Fuel Chart by state

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Great info guys, all my questions were just answered!

So running tr6's around .26 for 20-22 psi good or would you gap lower to start?

Users who are viewing this thread