Storing Ethanol Fuels

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Im still debating between ordering some "Ignite" fuel or using pump E85. The hardest part about using the pump E85 is convenience. The closest pump is 30 minutes away and if i happen to need some before racing its a huge pain to go get. So Im looking at options for keeping some at my house. Found on Amazon a company that sells 55 gallon drums.

They sell plastic

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Drum-Gallon-Closed-Head/dp/B001Q8WHI8]Amazon.com: Plastic Drum 55 Gallon Closed Head: Home Improvement[/ame]

and steel

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/55-Gallon-Steel-Drum-Closed/dp/B000LDGLV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1301834748&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: 55 Gallon Steel Drum - Closed Head: Home Improvement[/ame]

found these too

Lined 55 Gallon Closed Top Steel Drum S-16914 - Uline

55 Gallon Drum, Plastic Drums in Stock - ULINE

Im guessing it should be a lined drum? plastic or steel? Im thinking bc it could be sitting a bit to go plastic so it doesn't corrode?

then there are the pumps....which come in metal and plastic? thoughts on this?

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
I would go plastic. The coating on the steel tank could start to come off and get in the fuel.

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Something I just thought of...would static electricity be an issue with the plastic drums? I.E. when moving or rolling the drum across the floor, I can imagine it would pick up a little bit of a static charge. Or no?

I've only used steel drums, but would like to possibly switch to plastic drums for ease of use, weight savings, and for sealing purposes.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Something I just thought of...would static electricity be an issue with the plastic drums? I.E. when moving or rolling the drum across the floor, I can imagine it would pick up a little bit of a static charge. Or no?

I've only used steel drums, but would like to possibly switch to plastic drums for ease of use, weight savings, and for sealing purposes.

good question...it says safe for chemicals and hazardous waste.....doesn't say flammable or static safe anywhere....

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
oh man...I just got an email back form Global industrial and they said absolutely no gas products in these containers....hmmm

Teej281

Established Member
Did you think about calling the fuel companies that sell ethanol fuels and asking them what they recommend for storage of their fuels. I mean it's a logical question to ask when dealing with these fuels and maybe you might be better off buying one of their barrels to use so if something goes wrong you can blame twit storage container. Just food for thought.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

I saw on my google search. I've called 2 companies about their plastic drums and they both said no to storing any kind of gasoline. I think those guys are just assuming it's ok bc one guy is using a plastic drum.

I haven't asked a company bc I don't know of any with E85. Only company I know shipping drums of E based fuel is Ignite and I'm waiting on a reply from them now

BucStang

Triple Black
Established Member
Storing a decent quantity of E85 would be the only feasible way for for me to use it since the closest E85 station is 30 miles from here. I'm very interested in this thread. :thumbsup:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Storing a decent quantity of E85 would be the only feasible way for for me to use it since the closest E85 station is 30 miles from here. I'm very interested in this thread. :thumbsup:

yes its about 30-35 miles for me also. a 55 gallon drum would be great to have. Until I get a good answer with technical info attached, I guess Im going to have ot buy a few 5 gallon VP gas cans and use them

oldmodman

Established Member
Can't the E-85 be ordered directly from the refinery in 55 gallon drums?

Then you know they would be safe for storage. I think Broke 7 was going to be ordering his E-85 for shipment to Alaska that way.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Can't the E-85 be ordered directly from the refinery in 55 gallon drums?

Then you know they would be safe for storage. I think Broke 7 was going to be ordering his E-85 for shipment to Alaska that way.

his contact fell through

NVSnake

Established Member
There must be someone out there that is storing substantual amounts (30-55 gal) of E85 that can share there experience. I guess I don't have a good idea of what the main concerns are. Im not sure about everyone else but I would not be looking to store any E85 over the winter. Strictly a spring/summer thing.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
There must be someone out there that is storing substantual amounts (30-55 gal) of E85 that can share there experience. I guess I don't have a good idea of what the main concerns are. Im not sure about everyone else but I would not be looking to store any E85 over the winter. Strictly a spring/summer thing.

the few I have talked to mentioned the poly drums I posted above. They are labeled for water though due to the static electricity that can occur. Its the same material that everyone stores their fuel in in the 5 gallon VP jugs. Has to be sealed tight and in a spot out of the sunlight which should be practiced with any fuel anyways. Was also told to use the plastic pumps.

I haven't done it yet...but will probe get a 15 or 30 soon to keep E85 in there once the winter gas comes around

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i store my E-85 in a closed head, plastic 55 gallon drum. I get them from a local distillery (Paramount Distillers in cleveland). Ive tested the fuel multiple times and have seen no difference in the ethanol rating. As far as water absorption, the barrels have nice thick rubber gaskets for each of the bungs. I fill mine up near the end of the driving season when its still E-85 and then keep it sealed until the following spring. The pump i bought from harbor freight screws right into the 2" NPT bung, just pump some into a few 5 gallon cans and then pour into your gas tank and you're good to go. When im done with the pump i take it out and put the o-ringed cap back on. The plastic ones are nice because you kind of see the fuel level if you look at it just right, from the side instead of trying to peep through one of the openings.

Users who are viewing this thread