Storing E85 tuned cobra

burnt89

Was wondering if any one had any suggestions on storing for winter.
I run lucas additive all the time should i start one a month or just leave it till spring

oldmodman

Established Member
Fill the tank to the top before storing.

And there are now Stabil products for ethanol fuels.

Here it is at Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sta-Bil-360-12-oz/36142641

If you are highly tuned on the borderline of safe it would be worth it to run the car out of boost when you first start it to make sure the fuel is mixed up again. Then take a sample and check the ethanol content and see if it matches what it was when you stored it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have 1/2 tank left of e85, then I'm switching back to my 92 octane for winter storage.

JoeCobra

Established Member
New to e85 here. Why do you switch to regular fuel for storage? do you drain the regular fuel after the winter?

Rambro

Established Member
I plan to fill the tank and call it good. I may put some stabil in there but I don't know if it's necessary. And wow, 17$ for the stabil treatment? I think the lucas stuff is much cheaper.

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
If you are low on E85 and can't get to a station that has it, can you put 93 in it to get the car home? I'm curious because there was a guy out with us last night that ran out of E and he put 93 in it and rolled 60 miles home.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
New to e85 here. Why do you switch to regular fuel for storage? do you drain the regular fuel after the winter?

I've always stored it with 92 and this summer was my first time ever using e85. I just felt better storing it with regular fuel. I may drain it out and put it in my truck once the car is ready to come out again. I do know ethanol is more prone to condensation.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I add lucas e85 fuel stabiler when I get down to quarter tank and then fill tank and store.

InvisibleBlade

Highway to Hell
Established Member
My tuner told me to get the tank as low as possible and add the E85 Stabil (or whatever brand you choose). He said to keep it low since E85 attracts condensation and that would be better than filling it up all the way. Me, and my other friends who use E85 have done this the last few years with no issues, so take it as you like.

stangfreak

Established Member
If you are low on E85 and can't get to a station that has it, can you put 93 in it to get the car home? I'm curious because there was a guy out with us last night that ran out of E and he put 93 in it and rolled 60 miles home.

I dont think you can.

stangfreak

Established Member
This is why when I retune my car for e85, I will run c85 from vp. I can leave c85 in the tank for 2-3 months with no problem. Just dont beat up on the car when you take it out again. it will still loose oxygen.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
My tuner told me to get the tank as low as possible and add the E85 Stabil (or whatever brand you choose). He said to keep it low since E85 attracts condensation and that would be better than filling it up all the way. Me, and my other friends who use E85 have done this the last few years with no issues, so take it as you like.

Filling tank means less air for the E85 to interact with. A little E85 interacting with a tank full of air can pull more water out. Luckily for us Northern guys, our winter air is pretty damn dry. If the car is in an unheated shop, spring is the worst time, car and gas tank are cold and air is warm and moist.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So you guys don't have a regular 92-93 tune? Strictly 100% e85?

svturbo83

Established Member
In regards to the humidity, is there anyone in the south, by the coast, that can give more specific guidance on this ?

TIA

badbiach

"Frame Twistin!"
Established Member

You can, and I have. Although best to have a 91 tune in this situation. The car will run very very fat with the 93 fuel on an E85 tune. Mine ran, just not very well.

Users who are viewing this thread