Storing e85 in vp 5 gallon jugs.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So I ordered 4 of them for now, likely go through them fairly quick. How long will it stay good in a darker garage on the floor? I may buy more jugs, hoping they fit in the trunk of car so I can fill up and the jugs.

BoostedByV

No Fly By ZONE
Established Member
I never had any stored for more the 5 months , but it tested e85 still . I keep them on a rug . I read online that it's bad to have them on the cold floor

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks, doubt I'll have their sit that long. Didn't know about leaving on concrete floor.

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I usually go fill up 3 to 4 5 gallon jugs at a time and they might sit a month or 2 before I use them and I haven't had any problems

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
So I use this exact same setup. Four vp jugs with e85 sitting on the shelves in my garage. I am tuned but not dyno tuned. Not a single issue up until this week which I will explain. But the longest any of the e85 sat was about 2 weeks. The e85 from my station was testing at e90.

As of this week, my clutch install was done and I had a half tank of e85 which had been in the tank a couple of months, ran fine starting the clutch break in.

I got to 1/4 tank and began using e85 that had sat for about 4 to 5 weeks and a few miles after putting it in, the car stumbles really bad out of no where and dies. Let it sit a few minutes, try again, still trouble. Let it sit 10 minutes, try again. Perfectly fine. That's weird, kill about 8 gallons no problem. Test the gas that I added (from the jug I poured in, tested e87).

Get to 1/4 tank again, add the rest of the jug, only about 2-3 gallons, it was all I had left. Get out about 20 miles, all of a sudden it starts acting up again, lurching and stumbling badly. Pull over, give it 5 minutes, start it up, problems gone.

I'm confused as hell, the clutch seems perfect, hadn't had a problem before I added this 5 week old e85, which is still testing fine.

I'm down to a 1/4 tank again and going tomorrow to fill up all four jugs. I'm anxious to see if I add 5 gallons of fresh e85, if I will see this problem again or not, and be able to narrow it down to bad gas or not.

Any ideas here?

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
So I use this exact same setup. Four vp jugs with e85 sitting on the shelves in my garage. I am tuned but not dyno tuned. Not a single issue up until this week which I will explain. But the longest any of the e85 sat was about 2 weeks. The e85 from my station was testing at e90.

As of this week, my clutch install was done and I had a half tank of e85 which had been in the tank a couple of months, ran fine starting the clutch break in.

I got to 1/4 tank and began using e85 that had sat for about 4 to 5 weeks and a few miles after putting it in, the car stumbles really bad out of no where and dies. Let it sit a few minutes, try again, still trouble. Let it sit 10 minutes, try again. Perfectly fine. That's weird, kill about 8 gallons no problem. Test the gas that I added (from the jug I poured in, tested e87).

Get to 1/4 tank again, add the rest of the jug, only about 2-3 gallons, it was all I had left. Get out about 20 miles, all of a sudden it starts acting up again, lurching and stumbling badly. Pull over, give it 5 minutes, start it up, problems gone.

I'm confused as hell, the clutch seems perfect, hadn't had a problem before I added this 5 week old e85, which is still testing fine.

I'm down to a 1/4 tank again and going tomorrow to fill up all four jugs. I'm anxious to see if I add 5 gallons of fresh e85, if I will see this problem again or not, and be able to narrow it down to bad gas or not.

Any ideas here?

I am not sure what car you are running E85 in but is it possibly in need of a Crank position sensor relearn after the clutch install? After my clutch install on my 2013 the sensor was causing misfires in all cylinders until I performed the relearn. It was drivable but could feel like fuel not getting to the motor or rough idle.

mkb116

Established Member
03 cobra. Thanks for the response. It ended up being something very simple. One of the coil covers was very loose and allowed the coils on one side to lift off the spark plugs about a 1/4 inch, creating random times of extremely poor contact. Tightened down and running great now! Whew!

Users who are viewing this thread