Storing cobra with E70-E85.

efnfast

Established Member
fyi watch some youtube videos about Lucas ethanol treatment - it does jack-shit to protect parts against corrosion damage

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
People that say zero issues with injectors and E85, like I used to say, have you had the injectors flowed and cleaned?
Even my ID1300s were pretty dirty after 3 seasons. I’m now planning on cleaning injectors and swapping pumps every 2 years. Just part of the maintenance schedule for big power IMO.
-J

mat50ho

Established Member
I always top the tank with e85 and add stabil. I normally send the injectors in every 2-3 to be cleaned. Others will argue that it's not necessary but the before and after flow sheet shows the truth.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
People that say zero issues with injectors and E85, like I used to say, have you had the injectors flowed and cleaned?
Even my ID1300s were pretty dirty after 3 seasons. I’m now planning on cleaning injectors and swapping pumps every 2 years. Just part of the maintenance schedule for big power IMO.
-J
Can you get the pumps checked before buying new ones? Or would it be about the same cost wise?

I'm assuming most of the issues people are talking about are with cars that sit? I'm currently on E85, but the car doesn't sit for more than a couple weeks at a time. And I don't really deal with the weather changes others deal with. Does running regular gas through once in a while help keep things clean?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you get the pumps checked before buying new ones? Or would it be about the same cost wise?

I'm assuming most of the issues people are talking about are with cars that sit? I'm currently on E85, but the car doesn't sit for more than a couple weeks at a time. And I don't really deal with the weather changes others deal with. Does running regular gas through once in a while help keep things clean?
This is why I run 91 non oxygenated fuel once in awhile. Because I remember years ago with this debate. Some stated running regular fuel like I mentioned once in awhile is actually good for the fuel system.

I'm leaning towards storing it like I always have. Which is 91 non oxygenated fuel with some stabil.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

I’ve ran E85 and so have my brother and friends for years.
Honestly never issues with pump E85 but I let it sit winter 2019 with half C85 half pump but still a full tank and I fought fuel pressure issues in 2020 for the first time. All 3 pumps tested weak and it was their 3rd full season, so after talking with Fore that’s what they recommend, at least for my friend Scott Hasty and I on builds over 1000rwhp.
I can get the pumps for about $120 each so $200 cleaning and $350 pumps every 2 years for this power level is just safer than hurting hard parts.
Again, might be race E85 related but at least have the injectors cleaned and see how they do if they’ve been in for more than 2 seasons regardless of mileage.
The benefits of corn are still worth it to me.
-J

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I'm on my 2nd year on pump E70, I stored mine with a full tank as well. We've had some pretty harsh winters, but i don't go all winter with out start up. I start it up at least 1 or 2x a month and run to full operating temp. I have replaced my fuel filter every year (Spring) but truthfully filters have looked really good.

BlownShelby10

Established Member
If tuned on e85 is it bad to run 93 as long as you dont get into boost? Or does running 93 really not help with anything that causes these issues from cars sitting all winter?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If tuned on e85 is it bad to run 93 as long as you dont get into boost? Or does running 93 really not help with anything that causes these issues from cars sitting all winter?
Yes it would be very rich, as much as 30% at times. Idle won’t be as bad but probably not good to drive on it.
I’ve filled it with 93 before from an almost empty E85 tank and let it idle for a short time; then drained the 93 while changing the filter in the spring.
I usually just store it on pump E85/E70 and through in ethanol stabilizer.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends as a few additives have supposedly cause issues or are not E comparatively, so check with the specific brand.
-J

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
This is why I run 91 non oxygenated fuel once in awhile. Because I remember years ago with this debate. Some stated running regular fuel like I mentioned once in awhile is actually good for the fuel system.

I'm leaning towards storing it like I always have. Which is 91 non oxygenated fuel with some stabil.

I've had regular gas in it a couple times within the last month or so. Didn't have time to get to the E85 pump. I think the lowest percentage I had was E60 in the tank. That probably doesn't "clean" as well as a full tank of regular pump though.
Honestly never issues with pump E85 but I let it sit winter 2019 with half C85 half pump but still a full tank and I fought fuel pressure issues in 2020 for the first time. All 3 pumps tested weak and it was their 3rd full season, so after talking with Fore that’s what they recommend, at least for my friend Scott Hasty and I on builds over 1000rwhp.
I can get the pumps for about $120 each so $200 cleaning and $350 pumps every 2 years for this power level is just safer than hurting hard parts.
Again, might be race E85 related but at least have the injectors cleaned and see how they do if they’ve been in for more than 2 seasons regardless of mileage.
-J
Makes sense on the pumps then. I've been on corn since this summer really. So not even a full year yet. I made sure everything was good on pump gas before playing with the corn.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
In my case when we swapped to the 3R blower and started pushing it, the fuel pumps couldn’t keep up. Just good to monitor things and if you start seeing it go lean and the pumps are more than 2yrs I’d change them.
-J

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The supercar gt pumps have been in my car since 2008/2009 range. I monitor data every time I drive, I'm still hitting the same fuel pump and injector duty cycles I have all along (and I have years of logs to compare). AF is still spot on WOT. Pressure drop across injectors rock solid.

I've never felt the need to drop the tank or yank the injectors with it firing, idling, partial throttle and WOT so well and data to back it up. Fuel filter is spotless. Plugs look great.

However....I will never accuse anyone of being too careful or doing too much maintenance. If my data starts indicating deteriorating conditions, I will react. Also, different parts of the country might very well get different quality of ethanol. Texas is blessed with amazing E85. I don't think I've tested below E87 in many years now. Outstanding pump ethanol quality here year round. Your results may vary.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The supercar gt pumps have been in my car since 2008/2009 range. I monitor data every time I drive, I'm still hitting the same fuel pump and injector duty cycles I have all along (and I have years of logs to compare). AF is still spot on WOT. Pressure drop across injectors rock solid.

I've never felt the need to drop the tank or yank the injectors with it firing, idling, partial throttle and WOT so well and data to back it up. Fuel filter is spotless. Plugs look great.

However....I will never accuse anyone of being too careful or doing too much maintenance. If my data starts indicating deteriorating conditions, I will react. Also, different parts of the country might very well get different quality of ethanol. Texas is blessed with amazing E85. I don't think I've tested below E87 in many years now. Outstanding pump ethanol quality here year round. Your results may vary.
I don’t disagree on most of your points.
I’m a huge E85 fan and thankfully we do have quality pump E85 here also.
Still, if the injectors have been in for more than 2yrs, you may want to at least consider sending them to a quality cleaning service (my friend just had a great experience with Ryan Hecox and at a great price of $15/injector for cleaning with an excellent report card of results).
I also had lots of data and didn’t have any symptoms until the loss of fuel pressure as we starting pushing over 1000rwhp.
I only cleaned the ID1300s because we were servicing the entire fuel system.
Also, what power level roughly?
-J

Dusten

Established Member
-J
My good buddies truck had issues after sitting with e85r, but never pump e85. Had an injector stick at 1000', torched a piston. When they were sent in they found crystalized fuel in them

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I don’t disagree on most of your points.
I’m a huge E85 fan and thankfully we do have quality pump E85 here also.
Still, if the injectors have been in for more than 2yrs, you may want to at least consider sending them to a quality cleaning service (my friend just had a great experience with Ryan Hecox and at a great price of $15/injector for cleaning with an excellent report card of results).
I also had lots of data and didn’t have any symptoms until the loss of fuel pressure as we starting pushing over 1000rwhp.
I only cleaned the ID1300s because we were servicing the entire fuel system.
Also, what power level roughly?
-J

Ok good advice I will consider pulling the injectors. It's probably a good opportunity to clean the intercooler as well since so much time has elapsed.

Power wise this is a low 700 car. 2.3 gen2 whipple, 22psi, returnless with fore hat, gt pumps, FMS 80s. It has only seen pump E85 for the most part over a dozen years with a handful of pump 93 for the few times I ran gasoline. No additives ever. No race fuels.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
My car has seen only e85 the past 4 years and spent the last year with the same tank while down for numerous upgrades. Finally buttoned it up a few weeks ago and moved it out of the shop, started and ran perfectly. ID1300s, BBRC tank w/internal magnafuel 750, stainless filter. I last had my injectors flowed and cleaned by Eric Derr in 2019 (from what I remember cleaning was minimal), will be sending them in again soon as it's fairly cheap preventative maintenance. Also my non-climate controlled shop is in extremely humid Houston.

thatdude305

Established Member
Hey guys!

I know this topic has been covered a handful of times.

But this year I'm contemplating on storing the cobra with E70-E85. Currently the car has E70 in it. And honestly, I probably put 200 miles on it this year unfortunately.

So what's the difference if I store it with ethanol, because it's sat most of the summer with ethanol in it already.

I do plan on using up what's in the tank and getting fresh ethanol. Heck I still have a 5 gallon VP jug with E70 in it from a few months ago...

I also always use Lucas ethanol treatment.

This will be the first winter that my cobra will be stored in a heated shop. I plan on keeping the temperature between 55-60 degrees all winter.

So what would you guys do? View attachment 1721063

How often do you use the Lucas Ethanol treatment? My daily is a Lightning that i run on E85

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
How often do you use the Lucas Ethanol treatment? My daily is a Lightning that i run on E85
On a daily that doesn’t sit long I’d personally just do with oil changes (which should be more frequently).
I’d highly recommend a used oil analysis yearly
-J

Users who are viewing this thread