Storage

SVTCobra865

I'm buying my next cobra (GT500). Never owned a car for intention of rarely driving it and using it as a show car.

This being said, I wanted to know if going several weeks to a month at a time without driving it; are there certain things I need to do?

For example, I read that you should keep a full tank of gas, not use the parking brake, and use a cover to protect it from dust.

Its going to be stored in a garage (not temp-controlled but insulated). Should I buy plastic/carpet to park it on? Maybe I'm being a little extreme, but never hurts to ask!

TIA!

cobracide

Established Member
Battery maintainer. I use THIS one and it's really smart, deep cycles and an informative display. Four modes, Red Top, Yellow Top, Standard Car battery and Motorcycle.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What I do:
Battery tender
Carpet patches for the tires
Dryer sheets inside/ trunk/motor bay
Fuel above 1/4
Cover
Unlocked
E-Brake off

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Whenever I stored my Cobra for 9ish month deployments (now Ohio winters) the following has served me well:
-Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, a full tank prevents any moisture collection. Have been using Seafoam for years.
-Hook up to a Battery Tender or whatever brand you prefer.
-Raised up on jackstands, tried carpet and mats but still had flat spots on the tires. Never tried a dedicated flat spot ramp.
-Big bag of dessicant inside, I use a bag of blue silica cat litter. If you have any funky smells add a bag of natural charcoal.
-Wash/wax and put the cover on.
-No periodic startups, just leave it be until its time to drive.

quad

Established Member
Whenever I stored my Cobra for 9ish month deployments (now Ohio winters) the following has served me well:
-Full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, a full tank prevents any moisture collection. Have been using Seafoam for years.
-Hook up to a Battery Tender or whatever brand you prefer.
-Raised up on jackstands, tried carpet and mats but still had flat spots on the tires. Never tried a dedicated flat spot ramp.
-Big bag of dessicant inside, I use a bag of blue silica cat litter. If you have any funky smells add a bag of natural charcoal.
-Wash/wax and put the cover on.
-No periodic startups, just leave it be until its time to drive.
I've been using flat stoppers and they work great. I also inflate the tires to about 40 PSI for storage purposed and deflate when driving to 30 PSI front (NITTO 555) and 28 PSI rear (TOYO R888).

I stored my Terminator for 2 years (2019-2021) on flat stoppers, a car cover, battery tender and a full tank of 93 gas with stabilizer and had zero issues driving it for 200 miles a few days ago. No flat spots and the gas had no issues.

I also placed 3 moth ball bags under the car - below engine, middle of car and rear. It definitely reduced spider webs which can develop if the car sits for a year or more. Spiders will move in and lay eggs in the wheel wells and under the car without it in my experience. I spoke to a guy with 13 cars in his collection and he recommended that since he had good luck with moth balls. So I tried it and it made a difference.

Have you tried baking soda for the interior? Can you post a link to the stuff you put in the cabin? Not sure about the newer cars but Terminators should have the cabin vent set to open and not closed to allow the interior to breathe.

3522cfab98cbd3c1d217b578c3c0aa72104426c2_4-570x741.jpg

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been using flat stoppers and they work great. I also inflate the tires to about 40 PSI for storage purposed and deflate when driving to 30 PSI front (NITTO 555) and 28 PSI rear (TOYO R888).

I stored my Terminator for 2 years (2019-2021) on flat stoppers, a car cover, battery tender and a full tank of 93 gas with stabilizer and had zero issues driving it for 200 miles a few days ago. No flat spots and the gas had no issues.

I also placed 3 moth ball bags under the car - below engine, middle of car and rear. It definitely reduced spider webs which can develop if the car sits for a year or more. Spiders will move in and lay eggs in the wheel wells and under the car without it in my experience. I spoke to a guy with 13 cars in his collection and he recommended that since he had good luck with moth balls. So I tried it and it made a difference.

Have you tried baking soda for the interior? Can you post a link to the stuff you put in the cabin? Not sure about the newer cars but Terminators should have the cabin vent set to open and not closed to allow the interior to breathe.

3522cfab98cbd3c1d217b578c3c0aa72104426c2_4-570x741.jpg
Forgot about the moth ball bag, I only used those once and now just toss a sticky bug trap or 2 underneath. Never had an issue with spiders but I have noted cob webs in the wheel wells when I dont drive for a while up here in Ohio, may start using them again.

Here is what I use for cheap bulk desiccant, just crack the bag open and leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread