stock over axle pipe removal help

corruptor

Established Member
How the **** do you get the stock over axle pipes of without a lift? Had a day of so thought I'd install my lethal performance over able pipes but the stock pipes are wedged in there pretty good. Anybody remove the stockers without a lift?

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Good question. They need to hang down in the front pretty far before they clear the axle, might be lift only.

01bluesnake

Established Member
They are a pita to get out on ground with jack stands. I basically did the procedure you would follow to remove your rear springs by lowering the rear, just not completely disconnecting the arms and calipers and such. I was able to sneak mine out by doing it that way.

99mstng

Established Member
Disconnect shocks - remove springs. Somehow I got the passenger side out without but driver side was a PITA.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I was going to say the same. pull shocks and jack the body up. it will go quit far before the brake line gets tight.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
put stands under rear body, place jack under rear end. Remove lower shock fasteners and sway bar link to body fasteners then lower rear end for clerance. Watch brake line or just remove bracket to prevent stretching the line.

PLTechy

Custom User Title
Established Member
I was able to remove mine using only jack stands. I raised the car as high as I could and pulled the OTA pipes as far forward as possible. Passenger side came off fairly easily. Driver side however was a pain in the rear. I end up wiggling and twisting them while sliding them forward and eventually got the right angle to get them off (don't ask me what angle, honestly luck was involved). All while swearing and sweating in 100+ degree weather.

Posted via Topify using Android

SCalla1384

Established Member
They should have made the axlebacks go half way over the axle, so pulling the OTA pipes didn't require a lift, or turning the thing 90 different angles.

Bluebolt

Hold my beer n watch this
Established Member
Just have to drop the rearend a little and make sure the front is up on ramps or jack stands as well as jackstands in the back. Be patient take breaks. They'll come out eventually.

CSG

Established Member
I cut 80% through with the sawzall. That gave enough clearance. Easy to weld back if ever needed.

Users who are viewing this thread