Stock lower crank pulley wobble

Modestoe3

Established Member
Today I removed my lower crank pulley and when I pulled it out I was holding it with the cage and started spinning the pulley and noticed that the hub was wobbling as it was turning but the pulley was straight do I need to replace the pulley or would I be able to still use this one I will try to post a video

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
Not sure how that’s possible?

Sure the pulley just isn’t wobbling on the bushings?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Modestoe3

Established Member
Not sure how that’s possible?

Sure the pulley just isn’t wobbling on the bushings?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Idk honestly it’s kinda hard to describe but the more I was messing around with it I ended up hitting the hub with my palm and it moved the hub all the way forward so I spinned the pulley and the hub and pulley look perfectly straight

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
I had belt squealing issues for like a year that I just couldn’t find. Countless bearings, belts and tensioners being swapped out and it wasn’t until I was swapping out my 2.3 TVS and changing out the crank pulley for a 4lb Metco that I found the same thing as your video although mine seemed worse.

Modestoe3

Established Member
I had belt squealing issues for like a year that I just couldn’t find. Countless bearings, belts and tensioners being swapped out and it wasn’t until I was swapping out my 2.3 TVS and changing out the crank pulley for a 4lb Metco that I found the same thing as your video although mine seemed worse.

Really? Dang seems like I’ll be ordering a 4lb lower then! I just wanted my car back up and running since I’ve had it down for a month cause of the crank pulley being hard to remove

KLLR SNK

Established Member
If you used heat to remove the lower assembly you could have bent the drive shaft a little bit. If not, I suspect as MGOh3 said above, the tribar/drive shaft isn't seated correctly in the bushings. There really isn't much of a wobble and I know for a fact it is not the pulley. The pulley rides on a hub of the cage so it is independent of the drive shaft and tribar. I would inspect the bushings for wear then re-installl the assembly if you are wanting to run the stock unit. If the drive shaft was bent too much (if that is the case) it would rub against the back of the cage when tightened down. I would run it as is but every time I changed oil I would inspect the bushings for premature wear.

hotcobra03

Established Member
it will wobble in hand..

I had mine apart many times replacing bushings..

I also just went with 4lb. got tired of pulling it..

Modestoe3

Established Member
If you used heat to remove the lower assembly you could have bent the drive shaft a little bit. If not, I suspect as MGOh3 said above, the tribar/drive shaft isn't seated correctly in the bushings. There really isn't much of a wobble and I know for a fact it is not the pulley. The pulley rides on a hub of the cage so it is independent of the drive shaft and tribar. I would inspect the bushings for wear then re-installl the assembly if you are wanting to run the stock unit. If the drive shaft was bent too much (if that is the case) it would rub against the back of the cage when tightened down. I would run it as is but every time I changed oil I would inspect the bushings for premature wear.

I did use heat to remove it true a 1” impact and didn’t move it at all, but I inspected the bushings and they looked fine to me they don’t look like they have any wear

hotcobra03

Established Member
yes.it's a metco.

and yes inner belt can now be easy to replace..

only way to know if bushings are worn is when it's installed..mine had a lot of play when you moved belt back and forth..like an inch..it should be tight..

mine was so bad the posts were banging on the pulley until post was almost broke off..

prices on these used have went up being you can't buy a new one.

what I do like on mine now is how much more boost I get at 1/4 pedal.

Modestoe3

Established Member
yes.it's a metco.

and yes inner belt can now be easy to replace..

only way to know if bushings are worn is when it's installed..mine had a lot of play when you moved belt back and forth..like an inch..it should be tight..

mine was so bad the posts were banging on the pulley until post was almost broke off..

prices on these used have went up being you can't buy a new one.

what I do like on mine now is how much more boost I get at 1/4 pedal.

Seems like I’m gonna order the metco 4lb lower! Any tuner you recommend me to go with ? I live in Utah so there is no shop around here for dyno tuning

hotcobra03

Established Member
Seems like I’m gonna order the metco 4lb lower! Any tuner you recommend me to go with ? I live in Utah so there is no shop around here for dyno tuning

you can get stock size ring with metco..

Im not worried about tuning mine.I don't run it that hard..

and my boost may not have been at full..I added long tube header which they say you lose a lb or 2..

I do have a handheld performance tune..it was on a dyno but that was 10yrs or more ago..sct just came out.

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
Lund did my remote tuning, very easy and smooth process, I’d definitely recommend them. I would definitely get tuned unless you get a stock size ring on the metco, last thing you want is to lean out and be rebuilding a engine.

MG0h3

Established Member
We have a couple guys on here that can remote tune:

MalcolmV8
04sleeper

Long as you aren't worried about doing a full WOT 3rd pull a few times somewhere.

speedoflife

Established Member
Today I removed my lower crank pulley and when I pulled it out I was holding it with the cage and started spinning the pulley and noticed that the hub was wobbling as it was turning but the pulley was straight do I need to replace the pulley or would I be able to still use this one I will try to post a video

Your video is broken. I tried to watch it but it said it was unavailable.

Modestoe3

Established Member
Lund did my remote tuning, very easy and smooth process, I’d definitely recommend them. I would definitely get tuned unless you get a stock size ring on the metco, last thing you want is to lean out and be rebuilding a engine.

Yes I’m going to get a tune don’t want to be leaning out, I’ll check out Lund racing than you

Users who are viewing this thread