stock garrett turbos?

kennycoulter

Established Member
i just wrote the longest thing, and accidentally clicked the wrong thing.
i have a hook up on some pretty cheap new garrett ford diesel vnat turbos. here are some questions without writing out the story i worte earlier:
1. is the merauder intake any good? really the same as the early cobra and mach?
2.what kind of power levels can the stock fuel system handle on an 03 cobra?
3.anyone know if these turbos would "lag" more than the eaton blower?
4.will these turbos be too small/too big for the cobra application?
i know its best to go with a specific made kit that is known to work for this car, but would like to make somethign of my own for the car, instead of it just being a bolt on affair.
i will do a search where i originally found the turbos for sale, and come back and post what numbers the guy ran in his svo mustang with 1 of these turbos.

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
id imagine almost any turbo will lag a little more than a eaton... however a proper sized turbo, you wont notice the lag much if any,,,

TRBO VNM

what mobius said. :beer:

there will be lag compared to the eaton. the eaton is a roots style blower and the torq hits instant. you don't want that with the power turbo's make. they will react more like a centrifugal blower, such as a procharger, vortech, paxton.

but as stated, if it is properly setup and with an electronic boost controller, you can minimize the amount of lag. trust me though, you won't mind some of it. and at the track you can launch off a 2-step. so lag is null and void. you also want to make sure the turbo is ball bearing. no boost drop between shifts, faster spool up and I believe it helps with longetivity.

get the specs on the turbos. what size compressor, exhaust housing?

kennycoulter

Established Member
the thing with lag, and the vnat setup is: the vanes for the vnat, are supposed to make it seem like its a small turbo, and spool quicker, then open up to act like a big turbo for top end.
this is my first supercharged car. the svo i had was my first turbo car......im used to the predictability of an n/a car, and was hoping the vnat turbos would make the power more livable without a surprise......my svo used to boost to 22 psi, and would come in as a spike and scare the crap out of me. the roots definitely has some predictability compared to the turbo of my svo, but with the mach i had and 5.0s, it seems like when you press the pedal, you know more of what is going to happen and when compared to a little lag and boost of the cobra.
i will email the seller again to get some more specs from him. the site where i first saw them for sale is down, and i cant search the archives.
thanks guys.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
i was always told that diesel turbos weren't made to operate correctly on a non diesel application. Think about it this way. What are top rpms on a diesel....4300 Max?? You'll spin the every living hell out of the turbo. Impellar designs should limit their use on no diesel vehicles. Just my thoughts.

kennycoulter

Established Member
thats what i read somewhere before, then read that it was all myths. the turbo 2.3 guys all switch to diesel turbos for low buck applications and do some decent power with high boost, and still run the same redline.
im still waiting on a reply from the seller to post some specs. all the searches ive done, havent brought much info.

kennycoulter

Established Member
The stock 1.15 air ratio turbine housing on the 1994-1997 Ford 7.3L Power Stroke turbo diesels is little slow on spool up for our liking. stock 80 mm wheel. this is all i can find, everthign i search under brings up the same info. and they are not ball bearing turbos.

Duran

Matador
Established Member
As we all know there are two wheels or turbine's in turbos and exhaust and a intake side AKA Hot and Cold side. The the bigger the exhaust side (housing or turbine or exhaust wheel)of a turbo the more lag. T3/T4 based turbos were made to eliminate this problem with lag having a small exhaust (T3) and a big Cold or intake side T4. You also have the ball bearing turbos that also help spool the turbo faster and elimante lag. Now the diesel truck turbos have a huge exhaust housing because of the amount of exhaust the big 7.3L diesel have. I believe the lag will be an issue since we are going from a 7.3L to a 4.6L. Turbo's make great power but mating our motors to a proper turbo will make even more power.

Users who are viewing this thread