Stock Fuel Hat for Return System

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
Has anyone ever modified a stock hat to work for a return fuel system. I haven't had one out to look at it yet, but from picks it looks like it could be done. One of the main things is where to run the return line. It would not have to go back into the hat.
Basically get the budget kit with out the hat. But I don't know how much of a PITA it would be to install the pumps in the stock hat with hoses and wiring.
It would save about $400.00, but may not be worth it. Any input?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

The problem will be getting the proper size wire through the stock hat to support the aftermarket pumps. I haven't seen anyone find a safe and seal proof way of doing it. Usually by the time you spend the money getting parts and doing the modifications it isn't much more to just buy a Fore/divisionx hat. Unless you can do it all yourself.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
It can be done.. I was going to do it with bulkhead fittings and maybe running the return thru the roll over valve.. but got a smoking deal on a new Fore hat so i went that way...

mach1gsxr

Established Member
I have a stock hat that was modified for this. Another member had used it for a while on his turbo cobra, and i got it as a package deal with a bunch of parts. It housed 2 gt pumps and had a return an fitting welded on. I have the hat only now sitting in a box if your interested. 75 shipped. I ended up going with the triple walbro hat since I was looking at making close to 900.

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
I have a stock hat that was modified for this. Another member had used it for a while on his turbo cobra, and i got it as a package deal with a bunch of parts. It housed 2 gt pumps and had a return an fitting welded on. I have the hat only now sitting in a box if your interested. 75 shipped. I ended up going with the triple walbro hat since I was looking at making close to 900.

so this was still using the stock feed line?

TRBO VNM

It can be done.. I was going to do it with bulkhead fittings and maybe running the return thru the roll over valve.. but got a smoking deal on a new Fore hat so i went that way...

Yeah it can be done but I haven't seen anything done safely that actually lasts. I have removed plenty where people have used different sealants and over time they have leaked. In the end it isn't worth the potential risks with other options on the market that are full proof. We spend so much on these cars, why save a few hundred cutting corners on fuel setup. There are vendors that discount whenever possible.

Last edited:

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
I don't see why anyone would be using sealant.. the ones I have done I have used buklhead fittings.. some welded, some with thick nylon washers and haven't had a issue... at least not that I know off..lol

In the end do what your comfortable with..... I was lucky enough to come across a deal on fore stuff... If not bulkheads would have been my way....and full coverage..lol

Last edited:

Vr4me

Senior Lurker
Established Member
You can use bulkhead fittings or weld them. The only issue for me was wiring the pumps without creating a leak (I didn't want to use the stock wiring). I've done it before on other cars but I found a Fore hat and went that route instead.

If you can weld its easy. If using bulkheads let's just say they will need to be strategically placed.

Ironhand

Banned
Waste of time IMO.

You will still have hose that will go from the top of the pump to the bulkhead fitting. That is more likely to come off when under alot of fuel pressure then any of the fuel hats.

Users who are viewing this thread