Stock Exhaust... opening up

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Hi all,

I saw the pictures of (insert screen name here)'s stock exhaust pipes way back in june and noticed that there were a lot of kinks and just didn't look very professional. Well I hopped under my car this weekend and my exhaust doesn't have any of those kinks? Odd.

Anyways that's not what this post is about. I only have about 300 miles on my car now, but the exhaust is actually starting to open up. As in, with the stereo on (not super loud, just normal listening) I can actually hear the exhaust. It's also a little drony around 1500-2000 RPM. I just thought this was interesting since everyone posts about how quiet the car is. At idle it has nearly no sound, but the rest of the time it actually has a pretty nice tone.

My build date was 7/16, so I'm wondering if maybe the cars built during the later part of build 1 actually ended up with a slightly different exhaust? There were definantly some very nice mandrel bends in there. Another thing, the "baffles" in the tail pipes aren't baffles at all. That's the actual tail pipe (looked down it with a flash light) inside of the oversized tip. So definantly no removing that.

(Not saying I'm not slapping a Bassani on there in the not-too-distant future!)

~John

skstang

Established Member
John,
My car doesnt have those funky bends either. Mine is vert and got it 7/1 I wonder if there is different exhaust for the vert. I wouldnt think so but who knows. I still think the exhaust is too quiet for a Cobra get 400HP so I got the Bassani on order. It is starting to open up a little though I do agree. I have 1400 miles on it and it is starting to pop coming down from RPM's. Nothing like my 98' Cobra did though.

CWCobra

Established Member
No wierd bends in my 'vert's exhaust, either. Side by side comparison to FR-500 on my garage floor: VERY similar, except for the "X" on the FR-500. Stock looks mandrel-bent to my un-trained eye!
Later,
CW

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Yeah it is far too quiet, but still I was very pleased to hear it actually make sounds! When I picked the car up there was like no noise whatsoever.

Definantly does look mandrel bent though.

KingKobra

Established Member
Same with me... I notice with each day, the exhaust is getting more beefier, especially 1.5-2.5 RPMS. I'm at 750 miles, so I'm due for some more driving.

But, after hearing the Bassani video clip, I'm pretty much sold on getting it.

:beer:

eddy z

Established Member
skstang--you mnetioned you have the bassani exhaust on order.. which set up are you getting, and did you order through that Group Purchuse from "Nicetry".. I am deciding on what to do with my car, and up and back on the Bassani exhasut as well.. Feedback would be great.. thanks..

skstang

Established Member
Eddy Z, I just ordered the Catback for now.Hope that works for sound. I'm not looking to get crazy HP out of it. Yes I did order through the group purchase. It came to $661 with shipping. So how many miles you have on that Min Gray beauty now? I was at the park putting some zaino on mine today at noon.:coolman:

eddy z

Established Member
skstang--I now have 810 miles on her... I also ordered some Zanio last week... How does it look on our color?? When was the eta for the cat back?? I am thinking of ordering the x pipe and cat back.. Also, did you have any issues wiuth you cats from factory?? at times, i have that skunk smell.. i hope its not bad cats from factory. also, does you top line up when you close it and lock it?? or does it take effort to do so?? mine is very diffcult to lock, when i close.. My 98 top was much smoother, with no issues..

skstang

Established Member
Zaino -- woohoo looks good on any color. Jusy buy lots of Z6 to freshin up the shine. Cat back should be here by end of August. There is a lot of talk as of late about the skunk smells and cat problems. I have never had the skunk smell though. I cant say that this car is insainly fast like others on this board though either. This car seems to have it's good and bad days. I would like to hear that they will replace the cats and get more HP but I doubt it. I will have to wait and see about the recall. Catback should not effect that at all. As far as the top - it raises and lowers evenly but there is probally about 1 or 2" of space when it closses where I have to pull it down to close it. I guess because it is new and tight. I would say I've put the top up and down about 6-7 times now. Alos the tranny is very nousy with the top up. I cant imagine having a coupe having to listen to that all the time. My 98 top use to come down and hit the top, I did still have to pull down to get the locks to pull in though. Eddy Z I would love to get together to see if these things are as fast as each others. I'm dead curiuos of the speed of these things. I havent had any takers in the race department. I hope I dont have a slow one and also I dont feel like dynoing it.

eddy z

Established Member
skstang--we should meet up soon, to review each of our cars, and test them as well.. let me know.. email me direct for details..

Cobra'03

Established Member
My trained eye and ears say the stock exhaust (which I am looking at) for my car built 7/15 is deifntely not mandrel bent, as it has all sorts of irregularities and necks down to below 2" in many spots, esp the tailpipes.

Users who are viewing this thread