Stock Boss vs. Whipple 2.9 Charger

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I am clueless about why you say I am clueless. The other guy that you call clueless is another Boss owner. These are 20-100 rolls for me. I know good and well those cars would yank my Boss around triple digits. Those cars would roll out on me up there. I would be interested in running a stock Gen V from a 20 before I sell my DR’s though. The Charger did not really spin bad and the 7500 RPM redline I have with the Boss gearing moves out for what the car is.

I guess we should buy Viper’s, C6Z/C7Z’s, and Hellcats to go 60-160 during races in traffic.

C6Z for me!
I thought it was already explained you? That charger has a shitty 5 speed auto. Its funny that the video is only 9 seconds long and the actual race is prob half that. LOL, you're sporting DR's, should have went from a dig if you're going to oblige them with a roll.

Get the Viper race on video, hopefully the Viper guy can drive, because it wont be close. Maybe "hang" there for a sec when the race starts LOL

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Exactly, you’re hooking and they are spinning. FYI, my C6Z with an air filter and tune was trapping 130 mph in the 1/4 mile. From any roll speed it would have demolished my Boss. It’s not even a contest.

I plan on a C6Z later this year, that is awesome. Yes, they spin and play catch up. If one of those cars does not spin, it is over for the Boss. The Boss can still hold it’s own depending on car. A C6Z weighs 3200 lbs roughly. That car should straight drag me if he hooks or if he spins a little. I only posted the video because it was cool the Boss held on for a bit. The Charger owner said it only spun a little on the hit, not until 80 MPH. Owell.

GotGrunt

Established Member
C6Z for me!

Here’s a video of my C6Z running 11.10 @ 129+ mph. I drove the car from LI, NY to Atco, NJ which is a 6 hour round trip so I wasn’t looking to beat the crap out of it and break so far from home. This was on 18” drag radials, with the only other mods being an air filter and tune... just so you don’t think I’m talking out of my ass. I’m not knocking the Boss at all, it was a great car. I’m just stating my real world experience here.

GotGrunt

Established Member
I plan on a C6Z later this year, that is awesome. Yes, they spin and play catch up. If one of those cars does not spin, it is over for the Boss. The Boss can still hold it’s own depending on car. A C6Z weighs 3200 lbs roughly. That car should straight drag me if he hooks or if he spins a little. I only posted the video because it was cool the Boss held on for a bit. The Charger owner said it only spun a little on the hit, not until 80 MPH. Owell.

Mine was a 1LZ (base) and weighed 3,050 at the track scale without me in it. I had one of the lighter ones.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I thought it was already explained you? That charger has a shitty 5 speed auto. Its funny that the video is only 9 seconds long and the actual race is prob half that. LOL, you're sporting DR's, should have went from a dig if you're going to oblige them with a roll.

Get the Viper race on video, hopefully the Viper guy can drive, because it wont be close. Maybe "hang" there for a sec when the race starts LOL

Then you mean the 5-speed has crappy 20 roll gearing. Either way as I said before 5 or 8 speed I would of still been pulled up around 70 MPH if it was the 8 speed as I said before. I do apologize for the nine second video for an 11 second race. As I said before the race was to 100 MPH. A couple of seconds after the video stopped he shut down. He would not dig, I would not of either if I were him.

As for the Viper, I will message him tomorrow and see if we can get together in a couple of weeks unless my DR’s sell. I am not dumb, I know good and well if he hooks he will be gone unless I get one heck of a launch and I may hang until 60 haha. I am not saying my Boss is the fastest thing ever, I only like seeing what I can do down low with higher hp cars.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Here’s a video of my C6Z running 11.10 @ 129+ mph. I drove the car from LI, NY to Atco, NJ which is a 6 hour round trip so I wasn’t looking to beat the crap out of it and break so far from home. This was on 18” drag radials, with the only other mods being an air filter and tune... just so you don’t think I’m talking out of my ass. I’m not knocking the Boss at all, it was a great car. I’m just stating my real world experience here.

I know what C6Z’s can do, I love them. I plan on H/C/I and DD’ing it. I know you are not knocking the Boss, the C6Z is a superior car! That car can move! Do you still have it?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Then you mean the 5-speed has crappy 20 roll gearing. Either way as I said before 5 or 8 speed I would of still been pulled up around 70 MPH if it was the 8 speed as I said before. I do apologize for the nine second video for an 11 second race. As I said before the race was to 100 MPH. A couple of seconds after the video stopped he shut down. He would not dig, I would not of either if I were him.

As for the Viper, I will message him tomorrow and see if we can get together in a couple of weeks unless my DR’s sell. I am not dumb, I know good and well if he hooks he will be gone unless I get one heck of a launch and I may hang until 60 haha. I am not saying my Boss is the fastest thing ever, I only like seeing what I can do down low with higher hp cars.
I owned a '13 5.0 before my Viper, and no its not a Boss but the power is close enough that to think they can hang is retarded. Either way if I had a boss I wouldnt be drag racing it, need to unleash that on a road course.

GotGrunt

Established Member

I can just about guarantee you that if you come across a stock 2015+ Charger/Challenger 6.4 A8, and they can hook, you will be door to door. Find one with bolt ons & a tune, they will beat you. Find one with a blower, adios amigo. Drag radials are key.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
Mine was a 1LZ (base) and weighed 3,050 at the track scale without me in it. I had one of the lighter ones.

Ok awesome, I know the 2006-2007’s were the lightest. That is crazy light and I am looking at a 2008 JSB C6Z this year unless I find a smoking deal on an ‘06-‘07 Victory Red Z.

GotGrunt

Established Member
I know what C6Z’s can do, I love them. I plan on H/C/I and DD’ing it. I know you are not knocking the Boss, the C6Z is a superior car! That car can move! Do you still have it?

No, it’s long gone. It was fast as hell for the time I had it. It’s crazy how fast some of the new cars have gotten.

Ok awesome, I know the 2006-2007’s were the lightest. That is crazy light and I am looking at a 2008 JSB C6Z this year unless I find a smoking deal on an ‘06-‘07 Victory Red Z.

Whichever Z you end up with, replace the heads ASAP before it drops a valve and grenades the motor. I wouldn’t even start it until the factory heads are in the trash bin where they belong.

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I owned a '13 5.0 before my Viper, and no its not a Boss but the power is close enough that to think they can hang is retarded. Either way if I had a boss I wouldnt be drag racing it, need to unleash that on a road course.

I thought my buddy’s KB Terminator would walk me but he did not spin from a 30 and we were close until I got locked out of gear around 60-70. I do want to run the car on a road course, I just do not want a freak accident and there goes my car. I have a 2005 Mustang GT I am building for Spec Iron for road course work.

If it were not for payments I would be sitting in a Gen 4/5 Viper as well, I love those cars. Being in school and running a side-business made me not want to bother with spending that much on a car. I sometimes wish I would of done it though.

GotGrunt

Established Member
I thought my buddy’s KB Terminator would walk me but he did not spin from a 30 and we were close until I got locked out of gear around 60-70. I do want to run the car on a road course, I just do not want a freak accident and there goes my car. I have a 2005 Mustang GT I am building for Spec Iron for road course work.

I also had a KB Terminator :D traction was a serious problem with that car.

My one complaint with the Boss was the crappy transmission they put in it. I added a shifter bracket & removed the clutch assist spring which helped quite a bit but the 2-3 shift was a 50/50 shot. I shift fast and the synchros didn’t want to keep up with me. 1-2 would be super easy to grind with a powershift. It really kills your confidence. If I kept that car, I would have blown the trans for sure.

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member

My one complaint with the Boss was the crappy transmission they put in it. I added a shifter bracket which helped quite a bit but every 2-3 shift was a 50/50 shot. I shift fast and the synchros didn’t want to keep up with me. 1-2 would be super easy to grind with a powershift. It really kills your confidence. If I kept that car, I would have blown the trans for sure.

You need a MGW shifter life is good in any gear .
6e597dd731b73f3e780c42ba72f38969.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I can just about guarantee you that if you come across a stock 2015+ Charger/Challenger 6.4 A8, and they can hook, you will be door to door. Find one with bolt ons & a tune, they will beat you. Find one with a blower, adios amigo. Drag radials are key.

I have heard the newer ones are fast, I will keep that in mind if I run across one.

No, it’s long gone. It was fast as hell for the time I had it. It’s crazy how fast some of the new cars have gotten.

Whichever Z you end up with, replace the heads ASAP before it drops a valve and grenades the motor. I wouldn’t even start it until the factory heads are in the trash bin where they belong.

Haha, most definitely! I am thinking about Mamo heads/Custom Cam/Ported MSD and make 600+ daily drivable horsepower. 550 would actually work for me lol.

My one complaint with the Boss was the crappy transmission they put in it. I added a shifter bracket which helped quite a bit but every 2-3 shift was a 50/50 chance. I shift fast and the synchros didn’t like to keep up. It really kills your confidence. If I kept that car, I would have blown the trans for sure.

Really? My buddy said he hooked. I have heard of huge traction problems though. I think he has subs in the trunk and threw in weights to run me haha.

Your complaint is so true it is crazy. I went to Street Car Takeover and looked like a fool with getting locked out of every gear just about all the time. I had one run where I was locked out of 2/3/4 in a row. A few weeks ago I was coming close to selling the car. It kills confidence big time, if the trans locks me out again while I am trying to have fun, I may sell the car. I am not spending $1,500 on a clutch/short-throw to “cure” the problem.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
No offense to anyone in this thread but IMHO a stock Boss will not hold off Vipers, C6/C7 Z06s, or Hellcats unless they are absolutely annihilating their tires or have no idea what they’re doing. I used to own a 2013 Boss with track key, CAI, and lightweight forged wheels. I ran my buddies bone stock 2016 6.4 Challenger 8-speed from a roll a few times and whoever got the hit would edge the other one out. You better not miss a gear because that 8-speed will be all over you. Now add some boost to the 6.4 and it’s lights out. FWIW, I got rid of the Boss and bought myself a Charger SRT 392 not too long after :D
You are referring to my comment obviously. I’m stating facts. Below 100 from a dig I can usually hang within a car of said vehicles.

I think the guy who said that is about as clueless as the op. Yea, in an even start you will be neck and neck, once you both go the Viper/C7Z/Hellcat will run once it has traction. Unlucky for me I have Forgelines that need an RMA (leaking rivets), but the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S grips like a mofo even in 40F weather.
My stock pirelli's could only dream of doing that. Sadly im running the pirellis right now. Prefect name too, P-zero as in zero grip. LOL what a joke!
The facts are the facts. I never said I can take those cars, I said I can hang with. When ever you want to bring the viper out to find out who is the clueless one.... ;)

Nice pass... my stock C6Z went 10s on DR at PBIR. You on the Corvette forum?
I ran 11.82 at 116 on Dr in the Boss stock. My Boss traps 119 now on 20in street tires. The Boss easily pulls 1.8 60ft on street tires... the cars I mentioned cannot regularly. I get out on them and they have to play catch-up. They catch me for sure.... but as I said, I make a race out of it below 100.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
c6's, c7z, hell cats.

I just had some coffee. It tasted great. Since we are bringing up stuff that wasnt in the video. I'm currently wearing crocs at work too. The camo real tree kind. I went 11.1 @ 124 in my heavy pick up truck rowing gears. I drove it far from home and back doing it. Cool.

GotGrunt

Established Member
You are referring to my comment obviously. I’m stating facts. Below 100 from a dig I can usually hang within a car of said vehicles.

From a dig is the key bit of info that was missing from your initial post. Yes, traction has a lot to do with winning or losing races.

Nice pass... my stock C6Z went 10s on DR at PBIR. You on the Corvette forum?

Thanks. That video was taken just about 10 years ago :eek: It was my first time at the track with the car too. Unfortunately we have no tracks here on Long Island so getting the appropriate seat time isn’t easy to do. With more practice it would have ran in the 10s. I am on the CF but don’t go on there much after selling the Z06.

I ran 11.82 at 116 on Dr in the Boss stock. My Boss traps 119 now on 20in street tires. The Boss easily pulls 1.8 60ft on street tires... the cars I mentioned cannot regularly. I get out on them and they have to play catch-up. They catch me for sure.... but as I said, I make a race out of it below 100.

Is your Boss stock? It can’t be if it’s trapping 119. My comments were about a Boss in stock form. Just an example, a stock C7Z A8 with a drag radial is a mid 10 second car, and a few have gone faster than that. From a dig or roll, traction being equal, it’s not even a contest.

c6's, c7z, hell cats.

I just had some coffee. It tasted great. Since we are bringing up stuff that wasnt in the video. I'm currently wearing crocs at work too. The camo real tree kind. I went 11.1 @ 124 in my heavy pick up truck rowing gears. I drove it far from home and back doing it. Cool.

LOL... I’m pretty sure a bone stock Boss would give your truck a run for it’s money up until 100 mph, unless you’re wearing those crocs. Then you win by default :D

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Your complaint is so true it is crazy. I went to Street Car Takeover and looked like a fool with getting locked out of every gear just about all the time. I had one run where I was locked out of 2/3/4 in a row. A few weeks ago I was coming close to selling the car. It kills confidence big time, if the trans locks me out again while I am trying to have fun, I may sell the car. I am not spending $1,500 on a clutch/short-throw to “cure” the problem.

Its not the trans or the shifter.

Replace the lame factory clutch and you will instantly think the mt82 is God's gift to transmissions.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
The facts are the facts. I never said I can take those cars, I said I can hang with. When ever you want to bring the viper out to find out who is the clueless one.... ;)
Doesnt matter, we're talking about a stock powered boss with just tires racing from a 20roll. Also, i sure as shit hope you can launch harder in you solid axle car, are you on drag radials too? LOL, so yea you can "hang", maybe like an awd car would, launch great and get walked by the 600hp cars. I'm in cali and cant take you up on the offer, but im sure the florida viper guys would oblige.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread