Stock 95R piston, anyone have one?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Looking for someone that has a stock 95R piston, new or used, doesn't matter. I need some pictures of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Lmao, you guys are knuckleheads. ;)

If nothing else, does anyone know what pistons the 95R's had? Specifically I want to know what the valve reliefs in the face of the piston are like.

Brian

kevin

Cobra-R said:
Lmao, you guys are knuckleheads. ;)

If nothing else, does anyone know what pistons the 95R's had? Specifically I want to know what the valve reliefs in the face of the piston are like.

Brian

at least i'm in good company :)

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
I'll try to get you a pic tomorrow. I have to take some pics of my R shortblock for someone.

They are hypereutetic of course, I used to know, now I guess they have a 22cc dish, like the lightnings. I don't think the dish is the whole circumfence or the top, but I'm too lazy to go out and look tonight.

Oh, and they are round also, roughly 4" in diameter.

Hmmm, needs picture, question, valve reliefs. Are you trying to figure out a possible cam swap?

David in TN

Last edited:

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Cobra-R said:
Looking for someone that has a stock 95R piston, new or used, doesn't matter. I need some pictures of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

Tom Shep. just had his eng. apart for a fresh up. If I know Tom, he took pics of everything.
Maybe Tom will chime in here.

Best I can do buddy.

GB

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Brian,

Yes, I did just freshen my engine up. It is running forged units that end up at 10.5:1 or something like that. Now, my block is decked so part of the compression comes from there. I don't know if they are an exact forged version of the stock part or not. They are J&E. They do have a dish in the center and valve reliefs.

If you are looking for some images for cam clearance or something similar I wouldn't trust my pics 100%.

Tom

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
Something like this? As soon as my slow butt computer will get going, I have a few good shots of how to create valve reliefs the easy way. Stock cam, heads and all.

95CobraRpistontop.jpg

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
Just noticed this tonight when taking the piston pic for Cobra-R. Everything is stock on this R engine. I started looking at things and thinking, hell, they have two kinds of pistons in this engine. 3 out of 4 on pass. side had dings, drivers sides were fine. This one is by far the worst one.

Why is that? Pulling so many G's that the valve smacked the pistons? Of just stand on throttle until the desired depth is acheived?

DSC03270.jpg

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
No offense KBconv but the more you look at that engine the worse it seems to get!!!

With contact like that I wouldn't be surprised if some of the valves aren't bent.

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
No offense taken, the truth is the truth, haha.

It was late and I did look at the valves quickly, as I had before and saw nothing, going to look good today. Beginning to think that car may need an excercism.

I can't believe it ran with no noise after that (it was advertised as an excellent, ready to install engine) and also can't understand what would cause that with stock head and cam on a 13,000 mile engine, guess just severe valve float, ie. weak or improper setup spring heights. Hell, did the 95 R have a rev limiter. :)

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Out of curiosity were the pistons put in upside down? I'm trying to figure out how the valve contacted that area. I can't tell if the taper of the relief is the same top to bottom fro the picture and that might explain why it only happened on one side.

It looks to me like it was over-revved.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
kbconv said:
No offense taken, the truth is the truth, haha.

It was late and I did look at the valves quickly, as I had before and saw nothing, going to look good today. Beginning to think that car may need an excercism.

I can't believe it ran with no noise after that (it was advertised as an excellent, ready to install engine) and also can't understand what would cause that with stock head and cam on a 13,000 mile engine, guess just severe valve float, ie. weak or improper setup spring heights. Hell, did the 95 R have a rev limiter. :)

That motor and the leftover Cobra R parts were bought disassembled. Most all of us on this forum followed this particular car as it was on ebay then pulled after it was confiscated by I believe either state or city police. It was then auctioned and Scott bought all of it. Then you bought the motor. From the pictures circulated back when all of the parts were for sale I doubt the motor had been run in a very long time..

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
Out of curiosity were the pistons put in upside down? I'm trying to figure out how the valve contacted that area. I can't tell if the taper of the relief is the same top to bottom fro the picture and that might explain why it only happened on one side.

It looks to me like it was over-revved.

Mark,

I agree. Remember, the history of this car is one of abuse and apparently it was wrecked pretty hard for the chassis to have been torn up. I would say the same idiot that wrecked the car also over-reved the motor at least once. Pretty sad.

I think the picture is at an odd angle. I believe the dish is of equal size.

Tom

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
tomshep said:
Brian,

Yes, I did just freshen my engine up. It is running forged units that end up at 10.5:1 or something like that. Now, my block is decked so part of the compression comes from there. I don't know if they are an exact forged version of the stock part or not. They are J&E. They do have a dish in the center and valve reliefs.

If you are looking for some images for cam clearance or something similar I wouldn't trust my pics 100%.

Tom

Tom,

My street "R" has a slight rattle sometimes in the summer for about 5-10 min.

When I talked to John Colletti in '02, I mentioned it, he said he had forged units put in the '95 "R"s 351, with extra piston to cylinder wall clearance (hence the rattle at start up).

$.02 here again.

kbconv

Mama's boy
Established Member
Comments on other boards and my thoughts were valve float of course. I was wondering how since it had the EEC rev limiter then someone reminded me about Mr. Inertia. Hit a slick spot at 6 grand and it will bury the tach.

As for them being on one side of the block, my guess since it's just a production block, the deck heights are off. Or could be the valve seats were a tiny bit deeper on the good side, decks not equal thickness on each head or springs were setup looser on the bad side, so not as much pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread