stock 5.0 vortech sc-trim 5-6 psi...how much power

SVTFAN09

...its it fast?
Established Member
just purchased the vortech sci trim kit with 5-6lbs of boost. my current mods on the car is full 3 inch exhaust and 3:55's and some suspension mods. running 6lbs what should my rwhp come out to be. motor has stock heads, cam, intake.what pulley sizes shoulds i purchase to up my boost. i'm shooting towards the 440-490rwhp range. anyhelp guys, please and thanks

Last edited:

mustangsf4life

Black Venom
Established Member
I would say you would be lucky to see about 320 rwhp with your set up. You need H/C/I to make good power. I had a 5.0 with Intake, Cam, and ported stock heads and no blower and was making 295 rwhp. If i had 5-6 psi I would have seen 360 ish and with better heads more like 400 hp. You need a built motor to handle lots of boost to make almost 500 hp. After that your gonna need a block because your gonna break it in half.

blownfox

Established Member
mustangsf4life is correct. I'm running an S trim 4.8 psi, trick flow kit, stock shortblock, and every bolt on and I made 365 rwhp. That was through a 5 speed and 190,000 miles on the shortblock.

I would think to hit 450 rwhp you would need 15+ psi.

4valvemach

Established Member
The stock power rating is 225hp/300tq for the fox body mustang give or take some HP numbers for the years 87-93.

My guess on your car would be about 270-290rwhp

a bone stock 5.0/5speed with 10psi of boost SHOULD make around 300-320rwhp.

a full bolt on 5.0/5speed with heads,intake,cam,full exhaust etc etc SHOULD be around 400-430rwhp

If you did a stroker kit and a bigger inlet pipe it will help your power numbers but without more boost like 15psi it will not make your 450-500rwhp goals.To make bigger numbers then that a better block and internals would be a very good idea.

Plus for a street/toy car with over 400hp/tq should be good enough with the low weight fox :shrug:

Last edited:

SVTFAN09

...its it fast?
Established Member
alone with the blower i want to run 10lbs, get a bigger fuel pump, and run gt40 heads, comp xe274 cam, trickflow track heat intake

4valvemach

Established Member
You should just get the Trick Flow top end kit and have a matched setup.It comes with heads,upper/lower intake,cam,bolts maybe even a timing chain.

:shrug:

you also have Edelbrock and Holley top end kits

blownfox

Established Member
You should just get the Trick Flow top end kit and have a matched setup.It comes with heads,upper/lower intake,cam,bolts, timing chain.

Mine came with all of that + roller rockers 1.6, pushrods, valve covers, and all gaskets.

The only items I remember the kit not having is a dowl pin and a valve breather. It's probably the closest to a complete you will find.

Users who are viewing this thread