Stock 03-04 cobra fan vs. GT

Fopar

Established Member
Is the fan even different? If so how... and what is this one? :p
IMG_5398.JPG

shurur

Established Member
Can't remember who it was (slowSVT), but with some weatherstripping around the shroud to make a good seal to the radiator, guys are fine using them for road racing.

They move plenty of air...better air at speed that the mark 8 fans.
The '97-04 are the same.

I just replaced my motor with a new VDO and kept the original shroud and blade.
Mark everything!
I haven't put gasketing on the shroud yet.

I apologize for chiming in like a sledge hammer.

Last edited:

Fopar

Established Member
Ok thanks that's kinda what it looked like to me. Had to be sure though as someone stuck a GT rad in my car and wanted to make sure the fan wasn't inferior as well :p

shurur

Established Member
Ok thanks that's kinda what it looked like to me. Had to be sure though as someone stuck a GT rad in my car and wanted to make sure the fan wasn't inferior as well :p
Radiators: Mishimoto with the reinforcement brackets is the only solution IMO.

I cracked a Champion AL radiator and a OEM NAPA plastic-AL radiator due to body flex.
MANY others have had the same experience.

Do yourself a favor and get the Mishimoto.
The two core is more than fine for road racing even, and won't require moving the ABS unit back a bit to fit it in.

You will need to bent the condenser AC lines and shift the condenser itself toward the passenger side. You need to tap down a hard edge on the inner body to protect the condenser tubing AND/OR bend the mishimoto brace a bit and a portion of the condenser tube to keep from having to shift the condenser that far.

Last edited:

94slowbra1

Established Member
This is great info. I need a new fan and keep seeing conflicting info about what fits what. If the fans are all the same from 99-04 that will save me some $$$. Thanks again

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Ok thanks t
hat's kinda what it looked like to me. Had to be sure though as someone stuck a GT rad in my car and wanted to make sure the fan wasn't inferior as well :p

in my experience, a gt rad is not inferior... at least performance-wise.

i've been running one for over three years daily-driven in the hottest area of the country, and odometer diags show that when the fan kicks on the coolant temp drops faster than the stock cobra radiator in my other car. (other car has a lot more miles so not a direct fair comparison, but still)

sure it is cheap plastic and probably won't last as long as the stocker or win any car shows, but it works great - and with zero modifications needed. fwiw.

Fopar

Established Member
Radiators: Mishimoto with the reinforcement brackets is the only solution IMO.

I cracked a Champion AL radiator and a OEM NAPA plastic-AL radiator due to body flex.
MANY others have had the same experience.

Do yourself a favor and get the Mishimoto.
The two core is more than fine for road racing even, and won't require moving the ABS unit back a bit to fit it in.

You will need to bent the condenser AC lines and shift the condenser itself toward the passenger side. You need to tap down a hard edge on the inner body to protect the condenser tubing AND/OR bend the mishimoto brace a bit and a portion of the condenser tube to keep from having to shift the condenser that far.
I went with the AFCO, installing tomorrow

Fopar

Established Member
in my experience, a gt rad is not inferior... at least performance-wise.

i've been running one for over three years daily-driven in the hottest area of the country, and odometer diags show that when the fan kicks on the coolant temp drops faster than the stock cobra radiator in my other car. (other car has a lot more miles so not a direct fair comparison, but still)

sure it is cheap plastic and probably won't last as long as the stocker or win any car shows, but it works great - and with zero modifications needed. fwiw.

Ya that was more or less my findings, my car has been pretty decent in the cooling department despite the tiny GT rad.

hotcobra03

Established Member
After my search I also seen all v8 use this fan

I done the sve 3 core
Added 170 deg tstat.

My Temps are now lowest I've seen new .

I do notice heat isn't as hot when cold weather comes.

When at speed. 180 deg in any weather ac or not,,

Fopar

Established Member
Now for the fit....
Already installed it, it comes with an ABS relocation bracket that is the biggest piece of shit i've ever seen... Looks like it was designed by a middle schooler for a class project with Fusion 360. Has 3 studs in 2 different planes which makes it physically impossible to install the ABS module bracket.... you have to pop out the lower stud. Which coicidentally is easy because the tiny 1/4" press in studs aren't even pressed in fully, probably the same middle schooler manufacturing the bracket. Even then you'll fight getting the ABS module on the 2 studs as again, the middle schooler can't measure and the studs aren't the right distance apart. Once you do get it on you'll find the lower hole is no where near the ABS bracket hole and also the location of the face of the bend is wrong as well... so you'll have to drill a new hole and stick a 1/4" bolt through the backside of the bracket.

That all said the rad dropped in without too much of a struggle, even had the fan installed when I did it. It sits in the lower bushings without too much stress, the uppers are a little off tho, but nothing serious just a little stress on the upper bushings. So they get an F- for the bracket, and a B for the rad.

IMG_5466.JPG

shurur

Established Member
Nice..

Get the more flexible mishimoto upper radiator mount/bushings to take the stress off the radiator posts.
The mounts are AL and poly, so they flex a bit.
That radiator needs to float. That thicker radiator should not be flexed toward the front to fit the supports. That may have been what helped kill my AL Champion radiator.

You could also elongate the support bracket mount holes to get the mount further toward the back. You would need to bend that set tab up though.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
I relocated my abs by bolting straps to the oem bracket and drilling holes in the straps.

Interesting that the radiator came with a relocation kit.

Users who are viewing this thread