Stinky Stock Clutch.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Well I have slipped and smelled my clutch twice in the last week, the first time in a brake stand, last night trying to launch in 2nd @4k rpms :rollseyes

I am at 33k miles and have a dragstrip track day coming up and sure hope it holds up.
I got it WOT in first since the last slip and it is holding fine but know it needs replacing soon, my plan was this fall.
So how many times have you smelled clutch before you changed it or ruined the clutch ?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I'm at 30K miles and still on stock clutch.. I am installing long tubes next week, think i should do clutch first?? It seems fine though but i have heard bad story's about clutches with LT. How long do the stockers last

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i haven't smelled mine yet, except for going up the driveway a couple times (inclined driveway). i feel like mine might be slipping at high rpm's though. i've got the stocker with my whipple

Quik Z06

Established Member
SicStang03 said:
I'm at 30K miles and still on stock clutch.. I am installing long tubes next week, think i should do clutch first?? It seems fine though but i have heard bad story's about clutches with LT. How long do the stockers last

Why replace it when you dont need to. I would say when you know its going out for sure then replace it.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Mine was smoked as soon as I started smelling it. 1st and 2nd aren't your only worries. It will get worse if you go WOT in 4th. It will start blowing through the clutch more and more.
My stocker lasted 41,000 miles. I sprayed it several times but the dyno showed it was slipping when sprayed.
If you're installing LTs you'd better do the clutch first. Plenty of posts about this.

Last edited:

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
SicStang03 said:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I helped my friend take out his trans to take a look at the input shaft because he was having a bad vibration. I think you'd be able to get away with taking the trans out in sections.

Quik Z06 said:
Why replace it when you dont need to. I would say when you know its going out for sure then replace it.

IMO I think the stock clutch with stock power sucks. I think a new clutch is worth every penny.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I just didn't want to bother with it right after i get the LT's done. What clutch do you guys recommend??

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Quik Z06 said:
I agree, but if the stock clutch is still good why replace it.
I dont think you can consider it still good if its slipping. Hows that still good???
Not to mention hes putting on LTs and if you read up on this install its a pain. If you need to do a clutch job you have to undo the tubes to gain access.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread