Still got wheel hop????

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
got subframe connectors welded in, eibach springs, tokico Dspec shocks,
full tilt AC427 complete kit, billet flow brace???

Im hearing that sidewall is also apart of the equation?
the cobra came with 19s on her staggered and came with 285/30-19 all the way around so the back tires are stretched a bit.(305s comin soon)
the side walls are pointing in at each other cause the tire being stretched,is that a major factor?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
got subframe connectors welded in, eibach springs, tokico Dspec shocks,
full tilt AC427 complete kit, billet flow brace???

Im hearing that sidewall is also apart of the equation?
the cobra came with 19s on her staggered and came with 285/30-19 all the way around so the back tires are stretched a bit.(305s comin soon)
the side walls are pointing in at each other cause the tire being stretched,is that a major factor?

Ryan:

You've got a couple of strikes against you. First is the convertible. Convertibles are what I call "Special needs vehicles" in the FAQ on our site. Some of these vehicles need more help than just a FLSFC. They also need a matrix bracing as well. What brand SFC's do you have?

The second strike you have against you is your 19" wheels. They have relatively ZERO sidewall give to absorb some of the launch shock. You could try a drastic reduction in rear tire pressure but you most likely will have to get into a 17" or 18" tire and wheel combination to improve your situation.

Hope that helps.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Ryan:

You've got a couple of strikes against you. First is the convertible. Convertibles are what I call "Special needs vehicles" in the FAQ on our site. Some of these vehicles need more help than just a FLSFC. They also need a matrix bracing as well. What brand SFC's do you have?

The second strike you have against you is your 19" wheels. They have relatively ZERO sidewall give to absorb some of the launch shock. You could try a drastic reduction in rear tire pressure but you most likely will have to get into a 17" or 18" tire and wheel combination to improve your situation.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the response bruce

im not sure what FLSFC came on the car because they were already on the car ,they look like a steeda or a UPR or MM (same design)

Im planning on runnin the 19s on the street only and grabbin sth else for the track

it just sucks havin all this power and cant even smoke em if i want to
ya know what i mean

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
thanks for the response bruce

im not sure what FLSFC came on the car because they were already on the car ,they look like a steeda or a UPR or MM (same design)

Im planning on runnin the 19s on the street only and grabbin sth else for the track

it just sucks havin all this power and cant even smoke em if i want to
ya know what i mean

Normally I do not recommend the 'Mathis' brace like greengt88 suggested because I just do not feel they are all that effective. But in the instance of these special case 'verts', I am NOT opposed to trying that rear subframe brace.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Ryan:

Hope that helps.

Hey Bruce
what u think of the airbags?
Ya think a 6point cage would help?

monX

Established Member
Def go back to 17s or 18s will help your problem and decrease the weight.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
what is the 'Mathis' brace? do you have a picture or link?

BF-IRSBRACKETS_MED.jpg

BilletFlow 99-04 Cobra IRS Subframe Support Brackets [BF-IRSBRACKETS] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I agree that the "mathis brace" product is ineffective and should even be given the distinction of being a "snakeoil" product. I've gobe mod by mod when addressing my IRS hop issue and those brackets did ZERO to reduce the hop. The alum. diff. bushing kitt was what knocked out the hop for me.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I agree that the "mathis brace" product is ineffective and should even be given the distinction of being a "snakeoil" product. I've gobe mod by mod when addressing my IRS hop issue and those brackets did ZERO to reduce the hop. The alum. diff. bushing kitt was what knocked out the hop for me.

the whole whole kit front(pinion) and back?or just back(MM solid)

the whole whole kit front(pinion) and back?or just back(MM solid)

I have Bruce's diff kit which covers all 3 bushings, front and back. I've used the MM solid kit on my 01 Cobra before but in comparison to Bruce's, I think Bruce's kit is as good as theirs and more affordable.

monX

Established Member

Was there an increased noise and loss of comfort? if so by how much? :beer:

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
I have Bruce's diff kit which covers all 3 bushings, front and back. I've used the MM solid kit on my 01 Cobra before but in comparison to Bruce's, I think Bruce's kit is as good as theirs and more affordable.

Im runnin bruces full kit aswell..but because its a vert im still havin some hop issues ,
I wonder if I used MMs rear diff mount if that would help(just because it would take one bushing out of the equation)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Im runnin bruces full kit aswell..but because its a vert im still havin some hop issues ,
I wonder if I used MMs rear diff mount if that would help(just because it would take one bushing out of the equation)

As I've previously stated, you'll know I refer to verts as "Special needs vehicles". Unfortunately these vehicles require a little more effort to completely eliminate all traces of wheel hop.

The rear diff mount will make no difference in your existing hop. Our rear Delrin bushed mount is holding the rear of your differential just fine.

I would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can. But first I need to know what we are dealing with:

rear springs?
rear shocks?
brand of FLSFC's?
air pressure you're running in the tires?

Was there an increased noise and loss of comfort? if so by how much? :beer:

When I'm cruising there is a slight increase in "whine" from the rearend. But its nothing that bothers me in terms of additional noise in the cabin, when I'm crusining or have the radio off. Comfort is actually the same with the oem bushings and I actually had a vibe that always reared its ugly head at around 75-80, disappear. Chased this vibe for about 2 years and did everything you could imagine to troubleshoot it. Car hooks so much better too. :beer:

My 01 was a vert and the MM kit removed almost all of the hop. But my 01 didn't have the low end torque that the 03 does. So its a subjective comparison. If you're going to mess around with those diff bushings, replace all 3 with alum. Its the only way to go IMHO.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
hop

As I've previously stated, you'll know I refer to verts as "Special needs vehicles". Unfortunately these vehicles require a little more effort to completely eliminate all traces of wheel hop.

The rear diff mount will make no difference in your existing hop. Our rear Delrin bushed mount is holding the rear of your differential just fine.

I would be more than happy to assist you in any way I can. But first I need to know what we are dealing with:

rear springs?
rear shocks?
brand of FLSFC's?
air pressure you're running in the tires?

right after the install was done i went an dropped the hammer and did my first smoke show in the cobra and was happy ,the next time it hopped and the next time it hopped,what ive realized is on blacktop im good!!!!
concrete equals hop(most of the time)

eibach springs
tokico Dspec shocks
not sure the brand of FLSFC(came on the car when i got it)

right now the car has 19s all the way around with 285 30s on the rear and im runnin about 35psi(tires came on the car)the rims is wider than the tire so it has that import look goin on cause the sidewalls are being stretched outward,
Savin for 305 30s which will give a bigger sidewall and sit flush with thedge of the rim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread