Stifflers clutch line nightmare install - HELP!

Dinosgt

Established Member
Folks:

In my infinite wisdom I decided that while I was flushing my brake fluid for DOT 4, I would also install my stiffler SS clutch line thats been on the shelf for 2 years. Now after three hours are screwing around with said line - I am ready to burn my car to the ground.

I can not for the life of me get the damn little clip to reinstall in the firewall, nor can I possibly get my hands up high enough to guide the line into the elbow on the bellhousing. Assuming I could, or somehow shrunk my hands and wrists to the size they were when I was six, I have no idea if that clip will install either.

A few things seem to complicate the issue - the stifflers SS lines have two o-rings in each end (vs the OEM's 1), and they seem a tad larger than OEM to boot. I removed the second one and swapped it with the factory o-ring and it will now seat. However, I CAN NOT get the friggin clip to re-seat. Can someone please enlighten this old man as to what the trick is to seat those damn things?

According to the Ford SS line installation guide, you seat the clip first and then push in the line. No freaking way. I have tried everything to get that sucker to seat. SO - PLEASE someone tell me a) how to seat the clip (install it first, install it halfway, etc.), and b) how the heck you get the SS line guided into the elbow on the tranny with so little space.

Please help! Thanks very much...

Coosawjack

Established Member
I actually was going for the gasoline and matches myself when I decided to try one more thing!!:mad:

I made a tool out of a coat hanger......90* bend with a "U" bend to hold the end of the SS line fitting tight.......simply pulled the line fitting downward until it locked in to the trans fitting with the clip in place.......TADA!!:D

It actually took several tries but eventually it worked out and I began the pumping of the clutch pedal with my hand......at least 150 pumps after I got the pedal to return!!:eek:

Good Luck and I hope ya get it done!! ;)

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If you look at the photos in this tutorial https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-hydraulic-clutchline-0514v8-cust-install.html you'll notice that they're not taking the clip completely out of the housing. If you can't push the clip back in, try pulling the line back a hair. The clip has to go into the groove in the fitting. Don't assume it's all the way in the fitting. Try pushing on the clip and pull the line back out slightly and see if it doesn't fall into place. On the transmission side, you can put a jack under the transmission and remove the transmission cross member and let the transmission down to get more access. Those aluminum shield are also easily removed to get even more access. Here again, you should not have to completely remove the clip to replace the line. Lubing the o-rings with a little brake fluid might help seat them too. New o-rings can be stubborn.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Thanks guys. After walking away from it to put the matches away - I went back at it.

I ended up using one o-ring from the OE unit in combination with the second. Also figured out finally how to get the friggin clip to seat.

Last trick was removing the elbow at the bell housing. It’s the key to making this go quickly. You need a small dental mirror to get to it but once it’s off it’s cake.

Thanks again gents.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I had to do the same thing on the bell housing end when I installed my FRPP clutch line.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Oddly enough I read just about every thread on this and it was rarely mentioned. Even Fords instructions for the line you have say nothing about it. There was no way, without dropping the tranny, I was going to get that sucker hooked up. Dropping the elbow literally took five minutes.

Next time I can do this job in thirty minutes. Which of course will be never, ever again.

I hope the new GT500 spares me the trouble.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
We did this on my recent clutch install and it's a bitch even on a lift. Glad you got it fixed. All SS lines and better fluid were good upgrades.
-J

Dinosgt

Established Member
We did this on my recent clutch install and it's a bitch even on a lift. Glad you got it fixed. All SS lines and better fluid were good upgrades.
-J

I’m telling you - there was no way I was getting to that thing off with my big fat hands.

However if you get a dental mirror you can see how easy it is to get the little elbow off. Once it’s off it’s really easy. Just attach the elbow to the clutch line and reinstall the elbow.

Overall not bad a mod. As you note - dumping all the fluid for a Motul flush in the whole system was my goal - but I did notice that when the car is hot, I used to feel a slight ‘rotating mass’ feel in the clutch when depressed on a high rpm shift. Now it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread