Stiffening up the '03

Cobra'03

Established Member
Rwick: Some friendly advice - you are getting a lot of reads, no responses because your questions have been "asked and answered" ad nauseum. The FR500 has 30 responses in various threads at least. Suggest you do your homework: Search on "FR500", catback, subframe connectors, shifters, pulleys, synthetic oil, viscosity, etc and any other of the usual new guy questions. That will get you the broadest range of answers. Good luck, and welcome.

Rwick7

Established Member
I'm pretty new to these boards...I guess I just assumed I'm asking everything for the first time. Thanks

Hammer

Established Member
Yes, I have the Kenny Brown super subs. I did not do the whole kit...just the subs.

My feeling is this: the subs are an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE. They will generally ensure that everything stays nice and straight (at least with street tires).

The other chassis stiffening will not do a whole lot more than just subframes alone. They are the real important one. The K-member brace and strut tower brace are only marginal additions.

For real chassis stiffening after the subframes you need a cage.

So for me subs are enough.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Oh yes,,,I just had my subframes welded on,,,,what a difference!! the car feels much more stable and feels like the car is one piece now.

Blades

Established Member
So you guys really like the feel of the car now that you have your subs on? Does it actually ensure better handling or just ensure better confidence? :D

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by Blades
So you guys really like the feel of the car now that you have your subs on? Does it actually ensure better handling or just ensure better confidence? :D

Sub frames are not something that "enhances the feel" of the car. You should not get subframes with an expectation that you will notice a better feeling in the car.

Our cars are pretty solid to begin with. I do notice a little less rattles and noises with the subframes but nothing earth-shattering (no pun intended).

One famous racer once said, "If there's one Mustang mod you can't over due it's chassis stiffening".

Subframes will definately reduce chassis flex a good deal. That allows your suspension system to do it's job properly. The weight transfer action of the shocks, struts and springs will work the way the engineers intended it if the car's body is not flexing. Body flex skews the functionality of the suspension system. So I would say that subframes, while adding a small amount of weight, would enhance all performance aspects of our cars: cornering, launching and braking.

Again, don't expect a "noticable difference" but get them welded in and enjoy the piece of mind that you just preserved and enhanced the life, durability and performance of your Cobra.

docs03

Established Member
kenny brown

I have the extreme matrix bracing welded in my vert and it is great. The car is a little stiffer, but you don't have all the body roll. The stock connectors were not doing the job.

I will be adding the strut tower brace and lowering the car soon.

doc

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Hammer
Yes, I have the Kenny Brown super subs. I did not do the whole kit...just the subs.

My feeling is this: the subs are an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE. They will generally ensure that everything stays nice and straight (at least with street tires).

The other chassis stiffening will not do a whole lot more than just subframes alone. They are the real important one. The K-member brace and strut tower brace are only marginal additions.

For real chassis stiffening after the subframes you need a cage.

So for me subs are enough.

I just had this done a week ago - KB Supers.

I agree with Rich - these made a bit of diff, not light and day, but they will keep the car trued up - I have heard of Stang's where the doors won't close easily after a few years of flexing, one good slide, etc. The car seems to turn in a bit better in fast sweeps or transitions.

Users who are viewing this thread