sticking shifter!! grr!!

IXSLR8

Established Member
today i missed the 2nd to 3rd shift....damn stock shifter!! Well the shifter ended up getting stuck in neutral!! Don't ask me how i still don't understand it. I ended up pulling off the road turned the car or let it set for a minute or two then i could get it in gear. Any ideas what may have caused this? Anyone else have the same problem before??

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by IXSLR8
.....Any ideas what may have caused this?
Nope.

Anyone else have the same problem before??
Nope.

Sounds like you need at the very minimum an MGW shifter handle. Mine works great. Much better feel than stock. Only costs about 35 bucks.

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Dunno what may have caused your prob, but personally, all my shifting probs went away once I installed my Pro 5.0 shifter.....

-norcal_cobra

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Unfortunately, A PRO 5.0 will not prevent you from missing 2nd-3rd...

norcal_cobra

Brand-X Eater
Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
Unfortunately, A PRO 5.0 will not prevent you from missing 2nd-3rd...

I haven't had any probs since I converted. I guess it is just that is was a good upgrade from the crummy stocker.... :shrug:

-norcal_cobra

davidmax

Established Member
If your not getting any gears check to see if clutch forks are bent????
Dave S.

Billy Pilgram

I have a Triax shifter and occasionally have "sticky" gears. I don't think it's in the shifter, but rather in the tranny itself. There are times when I'm at a dead stop, clutch firmly on the floor and when I put it into gear I hear and feel a definite clunk. Nothing major, but still a source of concern. Also when I'm in to a little "spirited" acceleration, it seems 2nd doesn't want to let go. It might be the clutch adjustment and I'll have to go with anew quadrant set-up to get some real adjustability. Reading on other threads it sounds like a fluid change helps too so I will also be trying that.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I have the stock shifter (march 03 build date) and it goes in any gear I want it to with no problem. I only have trouble getting it to snap into reverse once and a while. Who needs reverse anyway!

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by Bad Habit
I have a Triax shifter and occasionally have "sticky" gears. I don't think it's in the shifter, but rather in the tranny itself. There are times when I'm at a dead stop, clutch firmly on the floor and when I put it into gear I hear and feel a definite clunk. Nothing major, but still a source of concern. Also when I'm in to a little "spirited" acceleration, it seems 2nd doesn't want to let go. It might be the clutch adjustment and I'll have to go with anew quadrant set-up to get some real adjustability. Reading on other threads it sounds like a fluid change helps too so I will also be trying that.

I second that.

Ricks2003Cobra

Established Member
I have a tri-ax shifter and it gets sticky sometimes also. Twice i have had to sit and jam the shifer around just to get it first. I am hoping it just need to break in a little. I have a Pro 5.0 in my 01 and did not have this problem. I tried the tri-ax at the behest of a racing friend. Jury is still out.

Users who are viewing this thread