STI-----> cobra

timeattack

Established Member
hey guys. i am about to take the plunge. trading my 2005 subaru sti for an 03 cobra coupe. dsg with bolt-ons. stock suspension.

now i sort of know what i am getting myself into. i am a frequent autocross'er and plan to do some open track events. i am near positive that this car will NOT compare to the sti in the handling field, but i would like to try.

my plans as far as suspension mods are as planned.
MM or KW coilovers with a 375/600 combo
camber/caster plates
275/40 &315/40 dirrezza star spec tires
i know i need a rear diff brace and bushings
what about sway bars? and rear camber adjustment?

im really looking for some guidence as i come from an import backround and would like to know if i can get this thing to handle well enough for some tight auto x track and just all around fun.

AM i wasting my time?
should i just keep the sti if this is what is important to me?

p4c
3899786490_294093bf40_b.jpg

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Try road course events, my dad gave up on autoX when he got his 03 and found he was much more competitive in open track events. Thats what I'm doing this summer.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
maybe a little nose heavy w/ a lot of power...........I have an 01' so my power level is less, bushing upgrade will help the stiffness and your enjoyment has just begun

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
To get it to handle like you subi you will need to do a full tubular suspension form wither MM, Agent 47 or Griggs. Coil overs will help but our cars just don't have the right suspension geometry, which the afore mentioned part will fix.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
In my experience either of those cars can be driven equally effectively in both the autocross and track contexts...particularly on track rubber. As a driver of any car, you must use the car's strengths for maximum advantage. Point and shoot works great on the Cobra. As long as you're aiming for the back flanges of the cones, and try not to waste too much time sliding the car around (can't be avoided sometimes) it can turn pretty darned well. I was very competitive with the STi's in my group. On the right rubber, some CC plates, and some H&R race springs, the car could really dig in.

800LDIG.gif

timeattack

Established Member
looks like the rubber is letting the car hang on for dear life!

i know its never going to be as nimble as the scoob. whats the weak points? excessive understeer?

TroyV

Established Member
I was pushing the car hard that day.

It is not as much of a difference in performance as popular opinion suggests. Competent driving gets that car around just as quickly. The Sti isn't necessarily a better handling car, it just has more grip, and it is important to make that distinction. The cobra traditionally understeers, but with the right pieces, like the CC plates, good rubber, and some other trinkets, you can tune it out. You also can't drive the Mustang like you drove the Sti at all. You must force the Cobra to do your bidding, and you really need to concentrate on late apexing the cones.

There is no finesse. It is all in looking for the opportunities to use the awesome power the car has at WOT. Find those opportunities early enough in the day, and lay waste to your competition. :)

TroyV

Established Member
I tried them. The car stuck better with the stock bars. There was some roll, but it served to load the tires more for better grip....especially for the sweeper turns like the one in the pic.

JamesHell

to poor to be fast
Established Member
I added a Steeda sway bar up front only and it helped me a lot.
The other big thing not mentioned yet is the brakes. The car is very heavy for autocrossing and I would advise you to brake early and straight. For the obvious weight reason plus the fact that the Cobra is very fast compared to the Subi and the corners come up a lot faster than your used to.

Try to get 1* negative camber on the rear ( I could only get .9*). A tiny touch of toe in. I put a bumpsteer kit on the rear and set it to toe in under bump with 0 toe at rest. That made the rear more stable than I thought a Mustang could ever be. Get Bruce's kit for the rear or your wasting your time with that rubber.

timeattack

Established Member
wow really, only -.9*?? with an irs car id assume it would love to see -2 or so for nice daily/handling.

whats the limiting factor?

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
wow really, only -.9*?? with an irs car id assume it would love to see -2 or so for nice daily/handling.

whats the limiting factor?

I was able to get -1.7 on mine ...but I had cut stock springs at the time and it sat VERY low. I couldn't get it to go more positive. :lol: What JamesHell said is pretty much my alignment setup for the rear.

ESP Cobra

Established Member
275/40 &315/40 dirrezza star spec tires

If you're talking about 17's the largest in the Dunlop Sport Z1 is 255/40. Even in an 18, 285/35 is the max. You might want to check out the NT05 or the Kuhmo XS, with the same size all around. The staggered set up isn't going to help that front heavy monster with it's under steering attributes. :nonono: And IMHO, you're going to be disappointed with the auto-x capabilities compared to the STI. An O/T setting may level the playing field, but even then, the STI is still a strong performer. Good luck with your decision...

VNEMUS

Established Member
Mustangs definitely have the cool factor, especially when they are fast on a track, but all that handling and braking comes at a cost.

Subaru WRXs & STIs are one of those few affordable cars that are decent out of the box. There's a lot to be said for cars that are great out of the box.

Have you thought about a stock 2001 - 2004 Z06 or same vintage M3 for "similar" money? Those 2 cars out of the box (similar experienced driver) can usually hand otherwise stock Cobras their hats on an open track, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread