Stereos

cobra4548

Ok everyone looking for ideas to improve, enhance and or replace my Mach 460 in my 2004 coupe. Show me what you got!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Running stock head unit, JL Audio C2 Comps in the front and JL Audio C2 Coaxial in the rear to a JL Audio 75x4. Sub is a 12" Sundown in a custom box to a JL1000. All running through an Audio Control LC7i.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Step 1: Remove OEM headunit, all Mach amps, and all Mach speakers.

Step 2: Find a nice aftermarket head unit you are happy with (I've always liked Kenwood), a 4 channel amp, and 2 pairs of 6x8 seperates (or other size with an adapter).

Many aren't aware, but the Mach amps and speakers are 6 ohm, not 4 ohm. Yes, 4 ohm speakers work, but its not optimal and they can/will cutout at higher volumes.

If you are also looking for more bass after completing step 2, grab a nice monoblock or 2 channel amp and 12" sub. No need for three 15s and 6000 watts. I've run a 12" Kicker solobaric in each of my last 2 mustangs, and also have one in my daily. They can make a big deep punch, and require a very small sealed box.

Crutchfield is a great site to wander around on and see what fits your car. You don't need to buy from them but it's a great tool (though they do give you a free radio harness, speaker adapters, interior instructions etc).

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ported FTW ;)
Sub.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I have a Kenwood head unit with Memphis Audio components in the doors. I'm driving those off the tweeter speaker wires as they connect directly to the head unit. The rears are still stock, but I plan on switching those eventually.

For bass I'm running an MTX amp and Infinity 10" sub. It has enough bass to even impress my buddy that loves rap. He's considering going from 2 12" subs to 1 10" like me to save weight. I think my amp is 500 watts peak. So really not much in the grand scheme of things. But sounds good for what I listen to.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That thing is huge. Ported box FTL haha. Not to mention ported is just too boomy for me.
Huge is fine, I have a Truck for a daily driver so nothing goes in this trunk, ported delivers the bass I love. Rock would be better for sealed, all depends on what you listen to as you mentioned. I had a smaller box, sealed..hated it. Sits in the garage collecting dust. Should have seen how big my box for two 15" subs was in my Explorer, lol.

52merc

Established Member
This is what I did. Sounds MUCH better than the Mach ever did. The AVIC Nav head was way over-kill but I got a smoking deal on Amazon and just couldn't pass it up

Attachments

• Replacing the Mach 460.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 411

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I removed the Mach system and did a 5 channel amp with touchscreen head unit, going to a 10" JL Stealth box. Looks factory and sounds great. I did have to make custom tweeter mounts for the mach tweeter location though.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I removed the Mach system and did a 5 channel amp with touchscreen head unit, going to a 10" JL Stealth box. Looks factory and sounds great. I did have to make custom tweeter mounts for the mach tweeter location though.

Aren't those discontinued?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
First step is definitely to gut all of the stock audio.

I have a JVC carplay head unit. Its okay. I want to get something better eventually.

It feeds into a really nice Alpine (PDX-V9) 5 channel amp.

Which then sends signals to Infinity Kappa 6x8 components in the front, and I think (I switched several times) Infinity Kappa 6.5" components in the rear.

Then I've tucked in a 12" Sundown sub in a too small of a sealed box in the trunk.

Overall it sounds REALLY good.

shurur

Established Member
You guys who are getting rid of the mach460 crap..are you reusing some of the wiring and adding as needed..or running totally new.??

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You guys who are getting rid of the mach460 crap..are you reusing some of the wiring and adding as needed..or running totally new.??

It’s easiest to power the head unit using the factory harness but everything else is new

shurur

Established Member
It’s easiest to power the head unit using the factory harness but everything else is new
Another lazy question: Is the wiring for the rear along the front door kick panel and the inside the panels where the rear seatbelt mechanism is?

I don't remember much wiring under the rear seat.

Also, do you replace the wiring for the front speakers as well?

I haven't looked at the schematics for the mach460, but would guess that the rear amp feeds all the speakers, vice a new system that would only feed the rears...because most new head unit have the integrated power to feed the fronts directly..??

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Another lazy question: Is the wiring for the rear along the front door kick panel and the inside the panels where the rear seatbelt mechanism is?

I don't remember much wiring under the rear seat.

Also, do you replace the wiring for the front speakers as well?

Just run new speakers wires from the new headunit to each speaker.
Don't bother trying to use the OEM speakers, they will need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread