stereo upgrade

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Since there has been talk about how the 03 cobra's stereo sound could use some improving, what upgrades would be good for it. I personally like the stereo head unit itself. Being able to change out the CDs without going to the trunk is a nice feature.

But for sound, would simply upgrading the speakers be the way to go? If so, which ones would be good to get... pioneer, kenwood, clarion...??? I'm not even sure what brands are good anymore. I'd want to install them in the stock locations and not install giant 12" subs or anything like that.

Thanks

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
ygohome - this is freaky - I just posted a very similar thread... sorry to duplicate the effort.
Cheers,
Pete

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Funny there are two threads on this.

Because of the way Ford put together the Mach system there is no simple drop in upgrade for the speakers. The small speakers are not just tweeters, but tweeter/midranges. So they are not crossed over at a place where you can upgrade them with anything available on the market.

Some people have upgraded with a subwoofer by tapping the line level outputs to the woofers which you can find in the trunk.

I found that the treble and midrange just was not clear enough once you turned it up, so I replaced the whole system. I know this is drastic, but if you want to play it loud and clear I see no other way......Steve

03rocks

Established Member
El Culebra, The pic of your ride with the golden gate is sweet. Nice car. Hope you don't mind but your car will be my wallpaper for a couple days till my '03 comes in.

With the Din size head unit in there, what happens to the rest of the space left by the stock head unit?

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
El Culebra, What's the tint value on the windows? I'm from the
Bay Area and they are tough on tinted windows. I can't count the tickets I've had for very light tint on the drivers and passenger side windows.

When I lived in Sacramento for 4 years, they weren't quite so tough, but San Jose and the East Bay were jerks! My 90 TB SC
had the tint removed and replaced several times. I never did my tint my 98 Snake because I didn't want the hassle.

Your ride looks AWESOME. Some $$$$ in the tunes!

Mac03Cobra!:beer:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
El C,

The Bridge is one of my favorite places in the world.... Outstanding, beautiful engineering, just like the '03 Cobra.

Great pix!

Peter in CT

:beer:

Have an Irish Coffee by the seafront.

a94cobra

Established Member
JBL makes a speaker that fits where the tweeter/mids go in the door pod. They are the Gt series or something. I have a set in my other Cobra. They sound really good. I may get a set for this one as well. I really like the in dash 6disc unit, but it needs more something...

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by needspeed

Some people have upgraded with a subwoofer by tapping the line level outputs to the woofers which you can find in the trunk.

I found that the treble and midrange just was not clear enough once you turned it up, so I replaced the whole system. I know this is drastic, but if you want to play it loud and clear I see no other way......Steve

I agree, my whole system from my truck is going in. I wanted to save the stock head unit, but the only thing I can think of is to run the enture system off the preamp outputs that run to the back amps.

My crossover is a Fosgate PA/2 and I just assume use it with the head unit (RFX9000). I need to buy a JL 500/1 for the subs (2 12 W3's). I'm torn on mids and highs -- no JL XR series in the size (I think).

Lots of research left to do.

Users who are viewing this thread