Stereo touch screen went blank

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help with a problem that occurred today. I Have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH in my 04 Cobra. A couple times recently, right after I would start the car, the screen would come on, and blank off. I would turn the car off/on again, and it would then be fine. Today after starting the car, I was changing the music, and the screen went off again. This time it wont come back on. If I remember where the buttons on the screen are, they are still functional, the stereo still plays audio, just the screen is black. Now every time I turn the key on, the stereo starts up, you see the screen for about a second, and it goes off. Wont stay on. I've tried resetting it by pulling the fuse, checked all the connections on the rear harness, and I cant find anything wrong. My guess is the screen is burned out. (LEDs?) Its a newer stereo, I bought it Feb 12, and the sticker says it was manufactured Jan 12.

Anyone know whats wrong or had experience with the same problem? thanks.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, I'm going through similar crap with my Pioneer Avic F700BT, except there was no intermittent blacking out like yours. Just one day last season it just never lit up again when I started the car. I suspect that it is a software related crash type of thing because, like yours, I still have power going to the unit since the backlighting around the dial still works. Mine does not play, or do anything however. I have been meaning to contact Pioneer about this, but have had other more pressing issues to deal with on the car, so the radio thing is on the back burner for now. Please let me know if you do find an answer, though, and what needs to be done.

gwalker

Established Member
I have similar issues with my pioneer. I think i have the f700 also. Mine works fine once everything is warm. But in the cold weather it lights up and turns off. If i drive the car and get the heat up and restart it works fine.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have similar issues with my pioneer. I think i have the f700 also. Mine works fine once everything is warm. But in the cold weather it lights up and turns off. If i drive the car and get the heat up and restart it works fine.

I wish mine was at least intermittent like yours, but mine literally just worked one day, then wouldn't turn on the next time I drove the car, and hasn't worked since (last year). I'm super pissed about this because the car is a total garage queen that sees maybe 500-1000 miles a year (if that), and this stereo definitely has under 1k miles of actual use on it. That was a crapload of money to spend on something that lasted for what would be a month of actual driving time for almost any average user! I have been thinking lately of just pulling it out and re-installing the factory 6 disc, but I have custom CF trim panels, and I'm pretty sure that I had to do some custom fitting around the trim plate on this stereo, so I don't want it to look hokey. I also like the more modern appearance of the touch screen, so I may just replace this (not with another Pioneer!) if I can't fix this one. Honestly, it hasn't been a huge priority though because I never drive with the top up, so I don't miss the stereo that much with the "whipple music" playing whenever I cruise.;-)

gwalker

Established Member
Mine was in the car when i bought it. I would much rather have factory. Actually i am fine without the radio but the old lady wants it on.

Nosdog2

Hi my name is...
Established Member
I had the similar problem with my AVIC D3, there is a small "bulb" behind the screen that goes bad. There is a few people that can fix them on the D3 ebay, not sure about other radios.

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
Hey everyone, well, I got a call and found out what is wrong. The display driver needs replaced, but they cant get just that one little part, they would have to get the whole board, and its a $300 part! The radio was $500. Needless to say, I'm not happy. The new App Radio 3 just came out though, and it looks pretty good. I may just buy a new one instead. Maybe I can give my broken deck to a good friend who wants to spend $300 to get it fixed..

black 10th vert

Established Member
Hey everyone, well, I got a call and found out what is wrong. The display driver needs replaced, but they cant get just that one little part, they would have to get the whole board, and its a $300 part! The radio was $500. Needless to say, I'm not happy. The new App Radio 3 just came out though, and it looks pretty good. I may just buy a new one instead. Maybe I can give my broken deck to a good friend who wants to spend $300 to get it fixed..

Crap, that's what I was afraid of. Did you get this info from Pioneer, or a repair place?

SVT_ DRiX

Established Member
Crap, that's what I was afraid of. Did you get this info from Pioneer, or a repair place?

From a repair shop, but from what I've heard, the guy is pretty good at what he does and has worked there for a long time. I might still try somewhere else and see what happens another time. Buuuut.... I ended up getting the new AppRadio 3. The display is much clearer, and cleaner. And after I finish setting it up, it'll work with my Galaxy S3, and I can run Google Maps off it and stuff.

klean4.6

Established Member
is your S3 rooted and ROM'ed or stock? I'm looking at the appradio3 but really wanted the HD radio if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread