Stereo install kit.

LETHALITY

Established Member
I'm not crazy about either one of them, but I would have to go with the Schosche. The screen on the metra just looks out of place being that small.

kingnut

Established Member
Have you guys seen this?
Metra

I really like the outputs through the touch screen.

Very responsive screen and has some great features. It is a little small but i think its a win. They had to keep screen size down to keep the price down.

cdog1157

Established Member
The screens are actually the same size but the Metra looks smaller because it doesn't have any buttons on the sides like Scosche.

QTR

STAGE 3
Established Member
I just bought the Alpine perfect fit kit, it's a Scosche dash kit but imo the way they should've done it in the first place, and the Z928HD headunit. It sure was expensive, but I really liked the way it looked.

Here's a pic from the web, real pics coming after I do the install.

x500KTXMTG8-o_installed.jpeg

bbksv

Established Member
I went with the Scoshe..works great and way cheaper than the alpine.

imag0144ck.jpg

And for the bottom end :)
scaled.php

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
I went with the Scoshe..works great and way cheaper than the alpine.

imag0144ck.jpg

And for the bottom end :)
scaled.php

Looks great. Seeing these pics makes me sold on the Scosche kit over the Metra.

Really want to get my ID sub installed in my car, but not sure if I want to go through the expense of swapping headunits just yet.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I have my IDMax in mine with the stock H/U... I just used the Lc2i from audiocontrol. It sounds fantastic!!! This is the first time I've ever used a stock H/U with a sub, and I am amazed with how good it actually sounds.

20120803_123057.jpg

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
I have my IDMax in mine with the stock H/U... I just used the Lc2i from audiocontrol. It sounds fantastic!!! This is the first time I've ever used a stock H/U with a sub, and I am amazed with how good it actually sounds.

20120803_123057.jpg

Mine's just a baby IDQ v3. Was just getting it broken in, in my STi before I sold the car. The stereo in this car is sooo much better from the factory, so I'm really looking forward to adding so low end punch.

Are you using the stock speakers and door subs as well? I was contemplating upgrading all of that at minimum to help give it some high end so it doesnt all sound muddy.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
I have stock door speakers still. Honestly, I'm afraid to pull the doors apart because I REALLY REALLY don't want loose/rattly doors :( This is my first ID sub and I am very impressed with it. I have it in 2.3ft^3 tuned low 30's and it plays CLEAN and LOUD.

bbksv

Established Member
With even a little work you can get doors that dont rattle. Mine are solid and I don't even have a ton of sound dampening in the doors. Best thing to do is use butyl in areas that would rattle (parts where plastic touches plastic..etc)

The head unit really isn't bad at all. Everyone raves about swapping out head units being so great for sound quality..but the human ear can't even differentiate between the difference in signal to noise ratio. (I had a national SQ champ car in 2005 that won with a stock deck)
What does make a difference is the more flexible options..like EQ and time alignment..but you dont need to change the deck to get that. Audio Control LC6(I have one for sale) is a good piece for integration or if you want to go all out MS-8(which I use) or Audison bit one.

really the best thing you can do is get an amp and the best quality speakers you can afford..

cdog1157

Established Member
I have stock door speakers still. Honestly, I'm afraid to pull the doors apart because I REALLY REALLY don't want loose/rattly doors :( This is my first ID sub and I am very impressed with it. I have it in 2.3ft^3 tuned low 30's and it plays CLEAN and LOUD.

I've had my door panels off several times and have no rattles. There's 9 or 10 screws that hold it on along with several of the normal push pin plugs so you really don't have to worry about it rattling. I've got a JL audio stealthbox with 600 watt RMS amp, Pioneer door speakers, Boston Accoustic rear deck speakers and the only things that rattle are the interior light console (easily fixed) and the trunk when the bass is up (which is mostly gone when you lower one of the rear seats).

I wish they sold that Alpine version of the Scosche without the HU. It looks a little better without the stock screen at the top and it raises the radio a Little more. Overall I'm very happy with the Scosche and my audio setup.

stang8psi

Established Member
sucks that no company makes a kit with screen placed at the top !

^ this! I think they should put the ac controls back down the bottom where they are factory and move the opening for the double din up top more, Kinda pointless if you have a nav setup and have to look all they way to the bottom for directions taking your eyes off the road to continue to look down at either the radio or Nav! Seems Like a safety issue!

scott_0

Established Member
There is not enough clearance to mount an aftermarket unit all the way up top, it could go up maybe another 2" tops but any higher and it would be hitting some misc shit that's mounted up there, they can do it with the factory navigation because it's just a display that's maybe 1" thick, the guts of the actual unit is mounted lower where there is ample clearance

scott_0

Established Member
I just looked into the 8"alpine unit, jeez its $1500 for the head unit and another $600 for the dash kit that includes plug and play harnesses, my wife would kill me if I even mention this lol

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I just looked into the 8"alpine unit, jeez its $1500 for the head unit and another $600 for the dash kit that includes plug and play harnesses, my wife would kill me if I even mention this lol

Yeah $2100 + is a bit much Then add some speakers and a amp. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread