Stereo help

gamebred26

Established Member
What are you guys using for a head unit replacement? What about door speakers and front tweeters?

I replaced the rear deck lid speakers and obviously they aren't working right cause the originals were speakers and tweeters separate back there. Don't what or how it was crossed over etc. So they don't play any mid or high just shitty bass ..

I just want a head unit and I need to do the front door speakers and front tweeters.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Dude trust me...Pioneer Appradio3 da210.

My setup is so hi tech that my touch screen AR3 mirrors my phone. And I have a bad ass voice control setup on my phone, which means I have ba voice control sytem through Hu microphone.

I run Torque for real time stats right on my HU.
Bad facking ASS.

You have Android for a cell phone?

Last edited:

Dominican_7

Established Member
I had an Alpine installed in my 02 GT at Bestbuy and it sounded great. I kept the original Mach 460 speakers and amp. Added 2 10" alpines with a 1200 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp. Thumped hard and the mids and highs were perfect from the 460 set up.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I used the metra harness at bb. Thry will match any price on Amazon and buy.com.

Got mine for 279 a year ago. Bb did the wiring for 50 bucks.

Bb will do the whole thing for a 100.

I wpuld do the da210, the price.value cant be beat.

And the adjustable angle of the touch screen is sweet.

Last edited:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
sorry not to hijack the OP thread,
but wheelstander, how does it sound, compared to the mach, any weird quirks, such as certain speakers non adjustments, or engine humming sounds through the speakers, or thumps when car is started?

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I was ready to spend 400 on new speakers next...but it sounds so much better I was shocked. Especially coming from a Kenwood I was pleasently surprised. And I like my music loud.

Speakers on the back burner for now if ever.

Last edited:

gamebred26

Established Member
I got a blown tweeter and door speaker...what are you guys using? are the door speakers that are stock complete with tweeters etc? or is it the same deal as the decklid shit?

ie..when I go after market head unit to I just get rid of the door tweeters up top? or can I put something else in their place?

Tobys_termi

Established Member
I have a pioneer double din (touch screen) head unit, it has bluetooth and you can get one with GPS, and it can do a lot more. It made the stock mach speakers sound better because you can adjust more things when it comes to the sound. im still not satisfied when it comes to the stock mids and highs just because its me lol but it did make a difference. For my subs I just have 2 10" Rockford P2 subs with a rockford 1200 watt amp in a custom ported box and custom enclosure. But what i would recommend for your door speakers is the rockford power series T1 6.5" component speakers so you can still have your tweeters in the same place and the back T1 6x9 coaxial with a 600 watt or more 4 channel amp. But I wouldnt just replace the tweeters up top, I would at least change the front door speakers with them. Alpine and JL also make really good quality stuff.

gamebred26

Established Member
Do they make blocking pieces for where the mach 460 tweeters go on the cobra front doors ? I just put in a new stereo and took out those tweeters on the front doors and now there is a gap there.

Didn’t some stangs not have that stereo?

Also on that rear decklid how do the rear speakers come out ? does that black plastic plate unbolt? I have to wire in my new rear speakers...fronts and head unit are done...

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Gamebred - the problem with the Mach 460 system is the impedance of the speakers is not your normal ratings you find in aftermarket products. So what most are saying here is use the stock speakers/amps and change the head unit - which doesn't really answer your question very well. Others have added an amp and subwoofers as an add on - but kept the speakers and stock amps running as well (just put a little more kick in the sound). Or a combination of both obviously (which is where I'm currently at).

To answer your question - you are going to need to do more than just by a speaker. Your cheap/best bet is to find someone who did an upgrade and is selling their old speakers. Why? As I have mentioned above - the stock impedance in these cars is not something you are going to be able to match in aftermarket products. It is very important that the speakers and amps have the same impedance ratings - otherwise you are most likely going to over drive the stock amps or blow the speakers. Just as it is - adding aftermarket tweeters only will change the impedance of those speakers and they will not produce as much sound as they used to. If you are like me - you have studied the options to death and found that the only proper solution to change the speakers is to swap out the stock amps as well. And if you are going to swap out the stock amps - you have to swap out all the speakers, not just the tweeters.

The other option, with an aftermarket head unit is the have the head unit drive the speakers directly and bypass the amps. That still requires for you to re-wire the speakers to pull the signal straight from head unit in the dash instead of the amps in the trunk. It does allow you to at least do it in phases this way though.

As always - I'm just sharing what I know - I could be wrong in my findings. Here is a link that should help you better understand our stock system: http://www.flemworld.com/mach460/mach.html

gamebred26

Established Member
Gamebred - the problem with the Mach 460 system is the impedance of the speakers is not your normal ratings you find in aftermarket products. So what most are saying here is use the stock speakers/amps and change the head unit - which doesn't really answer your question very well. Others have added an amp and subwoofers as an add on - but kept the speakers and stock amps running as well (just put a little more kick in the sound). Or a combination of both obviously (which is where I'm currently at).

To answer your question - you are going to need to do more than just by a speaker. Your cheap/best bet is to find someone who did an upgrade and is selling their old speakers. Why? As I have mentioned above - the stock impedance in these cars is not something you are going to be able to match in aftermarket products. It is very important that the speakers and amps have the same impedance ratings - otherwise you are most likely going to over drive the stock amps or blow the speakers. Just as it is - adding aftermarket tweeters only will change the impedance of those speakers and they will not produce as much sound as they used to. If you are like me - you have studied the options to death and found that the only proper solution to change the speakers is to swap out the stock amps as well. And if you are going to swap out the stock amps - you have to swap out all the speakers, not just the tweeters.

The other option, with an aftermarket head unit is the have the head unit drive the speakers directly and bypass the amps. That still requires for you to re-wire the speakers to pull the signal straight from head unit in the dash instead of the amps in the trunk. It does allow you to at least do it in phases this way though.

As always - I'm just sharing what I know - I could be wrong in my findings. Here is a link that should help you better understand our stock system: http://www.flemworld.com/mach460/mach.html

I put in an aftermarket head unit now...new door speakers a 4 channel amp..need to do rear speakers now..i have some new pioneers back there just have to run the wires now to them from amp..but I didn't put them in when the cage was done...a buddy did..

so I assume the 6 bolts in that back panel will drop and the speakers are on that?

Users who are viewing this thread