steering wheel suddenly off center.

thegraystang

Established Member
OK maybe you guys can help me out. So last night i was messing around getting the car a bit sideways. NOTE: At no point was the car drifted into a wall or curb anything of the nature. So i turn traction control off and kick it sideways, advantrac stops me. ok cool. turn advan trac off and get it sidways getting into work. no problem. park go to work done deal. I go to leave this morning and i notice my wheel is way off suddenly. tracking straight but the wheel is turned to the left. car doesnt pull or anything. ONLY symptom is the wheel isnt center. On the last power slide i did hear a loud bang that im fairly certain was my tool box banging the trunk. For a second i thought the diff exploded, but again im almost certain its my tool box thats always banging around. I havent changed anything on the car in weeks.

At first i thought maybe something in the rear end shifted assuming the bang wasnt the tool box. but with the car parked and wheels straight as i can tell from looking at it, the wheel is turned to the left. I took a quick look at the tie rods and nothing looks loose or bent. Like i said, i didnt hop a curb or anything of the sort. I have no idea what could have caused it or even less of an idea how to get the wheel back straight. Having the wheel annoys the living hell out of me.

Tl;dr turned advantrac off drifted around a corner, steering wheel isnt straight anymore.

skwerl

Banned
If you can't find the issue by inspecting the car, take it to get the alignment checked. Places like Firestone will check it for free and then charge you if you want it adjusted/fixed. But they will identify the problem area for you.

Mineral_01'

Established Member
Check the EPAS and where it mounts to the K-frame, otherwise it almost certainly has to be tierods or tierod links. Never heard of any kind of failure like this and it would be pretty rare for a tierod to bend or "slip" during a little drift action too. Best luck

2011roush

Established Member
Weird that the toe would be way out from just sliding sideways a couple times. How did the thrust angle look on the alignment?

Users who are viewing this thread