Steering wheel not centered

86Fbody

Established Member
Every so often the steering wheel will become slightly off center, seems to happen when the car is jacked up and the steering wheel is turned. Eventually it centers itself and everything is fine it is just an annoyance. Also when it is off center the car still tracks straight so it isn't affecting the steering. Any suggestions as to what could cause this?

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
When I bought my 02 GT used, the steering wheel was offset from center quite a bit. The car tracked straight and I didn't have any abnormal tire wear so I just drove it like that for awhile. I finally got tired of it and took it in for a front end alignment and told them to straighten the wheel. It's 100% perfect now.

With yours intermittently offset, that's a weird one.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Rack bushings

Every so often the steering wheel will become slightly off center, seems to happen when the car is jacked up and the steering wheel is turned. Eventually it centers itself and everything is fine it is just an annoyance. Also when it is off center the car still tracks straight so it isn't affecting the steering. Any suggestions as to what could cause this?

shurur

Established Member
Me too.

It's likely the rubber ragjoint in steering shaft....
Everything else on my FE is poly, AL or delrin...and tight.
The only other thing it could be is the rack itself..which is dubious at best.

I think there are ragjoint replacements...but not direct replacement as I recall...you can drill out the rivets..etc etc..

Get a solid steering shaft from MM, Borgeson or Flaming River...and worry no more....

Tell the wifey it's a "safety issue" ;-)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...Power-Steering-Rack-1994-04-Mustang-P460.aspx

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
Me too.

It's likely the rubber ragjoint in steering shaft....
Everything else on my FE is poly, AL or delrin...and tight.
The only other thing it could be is the rack itself..which is dubious at best.

I think there are ragjoint replacements...but not direct replacement as I recall...you can drill out the rivets..etc etc..

Get a solid steering shaft from MM, Borgeson or Flaming River...and worry no more....

Tell the wifey it's a "safety issue" ;-)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...Power-Steering-Rack-1994-04-Mustang-P460.aspx

Ill have to check and see if it is still the stock steering shaft, I didn't think it was. And the rack has been "bled" by cranking it side to side a ton with the cap open and no bubbles came out.

86Fbody

Established Member
This. Just went through this with offset bushings during an alignment. Find the center of the play, mark the bushing, torque to spec.

It isn't play, when the wheel is off center it tracks straight and will turn left and right the same as it would if it were centered.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
It isn't play, when the wheel is off center it tracks straight and will turn left and right the same as it would if it were centered.

That's because the rack shifts to a bind point one direction, and when you turn it will shift back to the opposing bind position, but the alignment doesn't change. It seems odd, I wouldn't have believed it if West End Alignment (best alignment shop on the west coast) didn't take the time to show me and explain what was going on when I complained of your same intermittent wheel shift with no change to alignment.

If you don't believe me, get the car on a lift or drive up ramps and have someone turn the wheel 1/8 of a revolution to the right and then back to the left 1/8 from center and see if it's not the same problem I had. You should see the rack bushings pivot some. If that's not it, then I've got nothing.

shurur

Established Member
It could be the rack bushings as well, which I had said was dubious at best; however, with snakeraper11b's latest post it sounds like a likely possibility to me now.
I just know that mine are fine and MM AL...and the ragjoint is the only thing left.

If your rack bushings are original......then....it could be a bit of both problems contributing as well.

Interesting stuff.

MM makes AL and sells Prothane poly rack bushings.
GW makes Delrin rack bushings which interested me.
They are super easy to replace.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
That's because the rack shifts to a bind point one direction, and when you turn it will shift back to the opposing bind position, but the alignment doesn't change. It seems odd, I wouldn't have believed it if West End Alignment (best alignment shop on the west coast) didn't take the time to show me and explain what was going on when I complained of your same intermittent wheel shift with no change to alignment.

If you don't believe me, get the car on a lift or drive up ramps and have someone turn the wheel 1/8 of a revolution to the right and then back to the left 1/8 from center and see if it's not the same problem I had. You should see the rack bushings pivot some. If that's not it, then I've got nothing.

I will check that out, once explained it does make a bit of sense.

It could be the rack bushings as well, which I had said was dubious at best; however, with snakeraper11b's latest post it sounds like a likely possibility to me now.
I just know that mine are fine and MM AL...and the ragjoint is the only thing left.

If your rack bushings are original......then....it could be a bit of both problems contributing as well.

Interesting stuff.

MM makes AL and sells Prothane poly rack bushings.
GW makes Delrin rack bushings which interested me.
They are super easy to replace.

I believe the car has a Flaming River steering shaft and the rack mounts are MM AL so I am thinking they just weren't torqued down.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Ahh so your setup then!

I agree something is not torqued down properly then hope you find it quick and let us know what it was.

86Fbody

Established Member
Ahh so your setup then!

I agree something is not torqued down properly then hope you find it quick and let us know what it was.

Will do, let my dad know what the possible cause could be and we will take it from there. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread