Steering Stop popping Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disintegr8or

Established Member
I first thought I had the "clunk" but when I was looking at my lower control arm bolts, I noticed that they haven't been shifting around like most pics show. I read that it was most likely the steering stops causing the popping noise on full turn.

I greased them, and the "pop" went away. Well, I got tired of having to grease them every so often, so I thought about it. My Dad has an '04, and he hasn't ever had the "pop". I figured it must be something in the manufacturing process that separates the two of us.

Since the Spindle is cast, it has a pretty rough finish. I figured that by using a die grinder to smooth out the portion on the spindle that the steering stop contacts, that would be a greasless fix.

I sprayed some white lithium grease on my spindles so I could pinpoint where the stop was contacting the spindle. As you can see, it is marked fairly well.

117743598.jpg

I used a die grinder with a round bit, and smoothed out the area where the two pieces contact.

117743586.jpg

It is hard to see in the pic, but you can tell I smoothed out the spindle down to shiny metal.

117743592.jpg

I did both sides, and used a degreaser to clean off the grease. I took the L out for a spin, and the "pop" was GONE!! Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread