steering rack removal

benzopyrene

Established Member
hey guys. Installing a BMR k member and long tube headers. Finally got the tranny in and complete, went to try and remove the bolts that connect the steering rack to the k member and man are those things on there. I tried an impact, heat, and a breaker bar 6 feet long. I managed to get one of them to break loose, but now the nut is just spinning with the stud, so Im pretty sure I snapped the stud. At any rate anybody got any tips to get these bad boys off? Cheers!

benzopyrene

Established Member
nevermind.....figured it out about 5 mins after I posted this. There was a bolt head on top.....but man was that hard to break!

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yeah I has a hard time too.impact gun wouldn't touch them... Had to use heat a breaker bar and a cheater bar. I actually snapped one of the nuts in half lol! Was a biatch.

A good tool to have for stuff like that is a torque multiplier.

benzopyrene

Established Member
I didnt ralize there was a bolt on top....ended up just having to put a rachet on it with my friend holding on, and then took the 6 ft breaker bar until it popped loose.....it was almost like it was tack welded. then an impact did the job after that. Funny how sometimes simple things are the ones that really get you.

trawoc

Hi guys - any thoughts on how to get the steering rack out of the car while the K member is still in place? I'm trying to figure out how to get a socket & breaker bar on to the top of the three steering gear bolts and space up there is limited pretty limited. Any additional insights?

Users who are viewing this thread