Steering position change after I sealed rear diff. Help

Marines691

Established Member
So I sealed the rear diff recently on my 04 MC. After doing so and re assembling everything I noticed my steering wheel was canted slightly when going straight. Instead of its normal even/level steering wheel position. What could have caused that to occur by removing rear wheels and pulling pumpkin to reseal etc? Any help is appreciated. Do I need an alignment? Sorry if I am off base here, I know enough to get myself into trouble as you can see lol. If it helps here are my build sheet mods and still have the IRS

Attachments

• IMG951328.jpg
    IMG951328.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 79

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you completely remove the rear knuckles or just tilt them up to get the half shafts out? More than likely you just need an alignment after messing with the rear suspension.

Marines691

Established Member
Only unbolted the control arm to get the axle popped out. So probably control arm made it not be aligned anymore?
Did you completely remove the rear knuckles or just tilt them up to get the half shafts out? More than likely you just need an alignment after messing with the rear suspension.

Albatross

Established Member
You changed the thrust angle somehow. You definitely need an alignment. When the rear thrust angle changes you get what is called “dog tracking” which is basically the rear end wanting to wander one way or the other and you have to correct the steering wheel to compensate.

Marines691

Established Member
You changed the thrust angle somehow. You definitely need an alignment. When the rear thrust angle changes you get what is called “dog tracking” which is basically the rear end wanting to wander one way or the other and you have to correct the steering wheel to compensate.
Okay I set up an alignment for like two weeks from now. Is it okay to drive a little from now until then? Or no? Thank you!

MG0h3

Established Member
The only adjustment back there is toe. Did you turn the end links to get them back into the knuckle? You would’ve had to break the lock but loose.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Marines691

Established Member
The only adjustment back there is toe. Did you turn the end links to get them back into the knuckle? You would’ve had to break the lock but loose.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
This is what my steering position looks like going straight. Maybe the drive shaft need turned? Idk.

Attachments

• 20221112_154830.jpg
    20221112_154830.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 57

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The drive shaft wouldn't affect alignment. Camber and toe can be adjusted. Not a lot, but enough. My long shot guess would be when you dropped the control arm the knuckle managed to spin the camber bolt somehow. If that happened it'll affect camber and toe. I'm sure a decent alignment shop can get you squared away.

Marines691

Established Member
The drive shaft wouldn't affect alignment. Camber and toe can be adjusted. Not a lot, but enough. My long shot guess would be when you dropped the control arm the knuckle managed to spin the camber bolt somehow. If that happened it'll affect camber and toe. I'm sure a decent alignment shop can get you squared away.
Taking it to pep boys Friday for 4 wheel alignment. Thanks guys. See if she works after. I have MM coil overs so going with this spec? Yall agree? .8 - 1.0 negative cam and 4.5-5 positive caster with .5deg toe out?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-192302_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221116-192302_Chrome.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 56

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You don't want toe out on a street car. It makes the car feel darty. Stick with the toe in. My front camber is somewhere around -1.5 degrees. But I have all MM stuff up front. And the shop I took it too recommended a little more camber with the Toyos. I don't remember what the caster is though.

Honestly, if you have mostly stock parts and mostly cruise the car I'd stick with stock specs. Plus Pep Boys might not give you much option.

Marines691

Established Member
You don't want toe out on a street car. It makes the car feel darty. Stick with the toe in. My front camber is somewhere around -1.5 degrees. But I have all MM stuff up front. And the shop I took it too recommended a little more camber with the Toyos. I don't remember what the caster is though.

Honestly, if you have mostly stock parts and mostly cruise the car I'd stick with stock specs. Plus Pep Boys might not give you much option.
Here is my build sheet. I have an entire MM build. Most everything on this car is after market lol. Still same suggestion ya think?

Attachments

• IMG951328.jpg
    IMG951328.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 49

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Taking it to pep boys Friday for 4 wheel alignment. Thanks guys. See if she works after. I have MM coil overs so going with this spec? Yall agree? .8 - 1.0 negative cam and 4.5-5 positive caster with .5deg toe out?
Just follow what MM recommends for street car use. They know a little bit about what they are doing.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Okay so those specs on that sheet I should follow? Im using a full MM setup.
Go by the specs mentioned in the written recommendations, not the box of specs at the top of the page.

They clearly differentiate their recommendations for street cars and race cars.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Here is my build sheet. I have an entire MM build. Most everything on this car is after market lol. Still same suggestion ya think?

Just follow what MM recommends for street car use. They know a little bit about what they are doing.

What he said. I'm pretty sure my specs are close to that and the car handles pretty good.

Did you tell Pep Boys all the mods you have? I tried to have my car done at a local Firestone (the only place open on a Sunday) and was straight up told no when they found out what I had under the car.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I've played on mine with alignment at home.

We banged a curb and wheel was tilted.

For me I have the upper cam turned the most out ,and set toe to 0..

Both cam and toe will make steering wheel go left or right .

Toe I just used a tape measure

I scribed a line around wheel and measured front and back side at same height.

Set to 0..
To center wheel ..
Shifting 0 side to side.
That turn 1 link a turn than move the other to 0 again.

1 way or the other ,

I've gotten 50k out of rear tires

Doing this car is on stands with rear wheels off ground,,

With 315s I needed as much clearance as I can get.

Have some one drive car and you follow.

Rear tires should stand straight,,you will top of wheel in or out to much.

Did alignments for years,,with hand guages before fancy equipment ,

Straight wheel,
Straight driving car
Max tire wear.

Put it where it works.

Users who are viewing this thread