Steering issues sense new on 2006 A&J conversion Thunder package any advise please!!!

glenner

glenner
Established Member
I have a 2006 A&J conversion Thunder it is my dads truck but he put it in my name so it's mine when ever there is a problem. It has 20,000 miles on it. At 4,500 miles the pitman arm broke thank god he was not going fast and ended up in the on coming lane and no cars were coming. At 8,700 the arm loosed up again and one of the American Racing Rims were found to be defected. Part of the thunder package was 20 inch American racing Rims that were a 35inch tire. Rancho suspension and dual rancho stableizer bars. At 45-70 mph the truck shacks and has sense new, it steers like a school bus not sure if this is normal. I know it isn't but if you have any ideas I will be glad to talk to the dealership and ask them to check that. I don't really know and I am kinda frustrated. I ordered the raptor but in the back of my mind I hope it handles better than this.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
We have had the truck sense new. Ford have us the extended 5 year 100000 mile warrenty because at one point it was in the shop for 93days. It would go to the dealership for a month and we could drive it for five weeks and back in it would go at 19000 miles the turbo went. The steering is starting to shake again I think maybe it needs a good alignment I am not sure anymore. You think it's one thing and something completely different is the cause. If anyone has any advise or has had this and knows how to fix it or ideas feel free to trow them out. I think I am in to close I need someone to see it from a distance and throw out an idea thanks Glen.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
How big is the lift? Steering problems are indicative of geometry problems. It may need a drop pitman arm or and adjustable track bar. also, check the tie-rod ends to make sure they aren't overly worn.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
There is no lift just rancho shocks and racho steering shocks and American racing 20 inch rims BFG 35 inch tires and those flare fender deals. The dealership and A&J state that it didn't change the dementions I am having a hard time believing that having all these problems.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
The truck is not taken off road used to pull a mustang and a ranger boat, used twice in the winter. Both times it was used dad was in a fender bender not his falt. Someone hit the rear bumper and left side both times ice fishing he park it in the parking lot or at a buddy's house come back same side was wrecked so he has not used it after that on the winter. The truck has a little over 20,000 miles on it. I hope this helps we are really not sure. The truck isn't under warrenty any longer because we had the Ford garage install a Banks complete kit including ARP chrome moly head studs and Banks torque converter. We also had the banks intercooler and 6 stage with PDA and single banks monster exhaust. Only problem know is the steering we hope that someone has advise. The rancho pitman arm that they make is only for there body lift. But if someone knows anything we didn't try yet we aren't sure what we are missing.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
When you drive it does it pull to one side or the other, does it make noise in the front? Something is seriously screwed up if it's eating front ends at the rate you're talking about. Also, the engine mods should not effect the warranty on the front suspension. I'd make them buy the truck back and get a new one.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
If you turn to tight the front wheels grind also it walks like a AC cobra it changes lanes if your not paying attention how I know this my father had two a 427,289 and gt500 he is in the Shelby registry for all three he bought in milwakee,wi. So when I make these statements they are factual. We thought it was allignment issues. I think the stock pitman arm is not long or strong enough for the A&J conversion package. The only pitman arm Rancho sells is one for there lift kit. A&J never put the lift kit on the truck only the Rancho shocks,and Rancho dual stablizer bar. Then they put Twenty inch American Racing Tires. BFG 35 tall. Huge ones. The fender flares and painted the bottom of the truck a chevy gray I know, had to have the box fixed from hit and runs. These problems happened before that and continue to occur. I did know if anyone else had a similar thing happen and how they fixed the issue. That is the only reason I am asking these questions.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
Three pitman arms, four steering boxes, seven sets of tie rods in 20000 miles that is what has been replaced so far.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
Thanks Sid, that is the only thing the have not replaced on the F250 the BFG are a 305/55/r20 all terrain t/a. It is a nice truck just alot of problems boss bars on sides, rino lined, bush wacker fender flares and lowrider fiberglass cover conversion vehicle manufacture number 2898807.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
Sid, do you know if anyone makes a pitman arm that is a little longer than stock but not as. Long as a lifted arm?

glenner

glenner
Established Member
I kinda think that may be the problem because of all the steering boxes that have been replaced. Also breaking three pitman arms and really can't see how it is happening. James drove it he thought I was falling a sleep. He drove fifteen miles pulled over and said you drive. The truck is all over the road turn the wheel to tight it sounds like something is going to break. Thunks and grinding metal. Then on the road the truck should pull left a little because of gain in road (slope). Mine pulls right wants to go across the center lane if you let go of the wheel.

glenner

glenner
Established Member
Also I was wondering if by any chance all A&J did was install the rims and tires and not put the proper spacers behind the American racing 20 inch rims if that would cause this?

glenner

glenner
Established Member
I really think it is something myself and Ford are missing it really maybe something real simple. I feel if Ford sold me this conversion they should know how to fix it. I don't want a B.S. Excuse. That we didn't do this it is out of our hands. The $62,000 I gave you for this truck went in your pockets real nice so. Fixing it to drive should also be on top of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread