steel or aluminum flywheel???

THEWOODKING

im looking into an eaton swap in the near future and have some what decided on a spec 2 clutch.....good choice or bad choice??? i also wanted to ask if i should keep my stock flywheel or go with an aluminum??? if aluminum, which flywheel??? also what should i change while im in there and if anything where should i get it??? thanks

cobracide

Established Member
Aluminum, especially if your putting in an eaton. It reduces drivetrain shock. Centerforce has a good flywheel. Part No. 900205.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i run the spec stage 2 with a steel flywheel in mine. i debated on the aluminum one too. i researched it quite a bit and found a lot of 03/04 cobra guys actually swap to a steel one for better/easier launches at the track.

v8volvo

Face Smasher
Established Member
I had the aluminum '03-'04 flywheel in but, had a clutch incident that also ruined my flywheel. I replaced it with another aluminum flywheel. This time I went with the Fidanza. No issues ever with running an aluminum flywheel.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Better and easier launches with a steel flywheel and a positive displacement blower? That doesn't sound right at all.

01 Venom

Established Member
Ya I dont know, been debating this myself. I have a Spec II and I love it, very nice street clutch.

Not sure what to do myself though, I will just wait to see what rio does ;) thats what I do with everything else heh.

snakebite72

Established Member
the steel flywheel will have more centrifugal force (sorry if is writen wrong) so it will hit harder than the aluminum one,the benefit is that your car with the steel flywheel will not bug out when using slicks,dont get me wrong i have an aluminum flywheel and i love the rpm response when coming out of a corner,just feels great.........

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
snakebite72 said:
the steel flywheel will have more centrifugal force (sorry if is writen wrong) so it will hit harder than the aluminum one,the benefit is that your car with the steel flywheel will not bug out when using slicks,dont get me wrong i have an aluminum flywheel and i love the rpm response when coming out of a corner,just feels great.........

I understand that but with a Positive displacement blower and a steel flywheel the hit would be brutal.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
01 Venom said:
Ya I dont know, been debating this myself. I have a Spec II and I love it, very nice street clutch.

Not sure what to do myself though, I will just wait to see what rio does ;) thats what I do with everything else heh.
ha ha! you finally admit it. kidding :beer: well, i went with the Spec steel flywheel w/ my stage 2 clutch if that gives you any ideas...;-)

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I was always told an aluminum flywheel slows down faster than a steel. Therefore aluminum was better for the track and steel for the street. Is that BS or is there some truth there?

THEWOODKING

ive heard that aluminum is better for auto cross as when you come out of corners the light flywheel stays revved up and the steel is better for drag as you have more rotational weight for launching off the line....it makes perfect sense

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
01BlueCobraVert said:
I was always told an aluminum flywheel slows down faster than a steel. Therefore aluminum was better for the track and steel for the street. Is that BS or is there some truth there?
yes, that is true. from a take off on the street the amount of revs required with a steel flywheel will be less than an aluminum one due to the greater inertia it carries from its larger mass. since the aluminum flywheel weighs less it will require slightly higher revving to get your car moving from a stop. so, in theory a steel flywheel will be easier to drive with on the street. however, there are quite a few running aluminum flywheels on the street and say that the difference in revving required to get going from a stop is little to none.

BlueVenom01

Established Member
99riocobra said:
however, there are quite a few running aluminum flywheels on the street and say that the difference in revving required to get going from a stop is little to none.

anyone else find this to be true?? i'm looking at an 04 clutch/flywheel set up for cheap...so i'm seriously considering it.

My94GT

Established Member
i thought it was the steel was easier to launch with becuase of the rotational mass. and the steel holds revs longer, but the simple remedy for the aluminum was to launch higher and power shift??? just what i heard. no clue as to if thats true or not

Users who are viewing this thread