Steeda x-pipe and mod advice needed

dkd58

Established Member
Need your opinions on this:

Steeda Hi-Flo Catlytic Converter X-Pipe for 2003 Cobra

"Replace your restrictive worn out catalytic converters with these free flowing, all Stainless Steel 2-1/2" high flow catalytic converter X-Pipe. They sound great and improve performance too. Stock Mustangs will pick up about 8-14hp. Modified cars can pick up 20hp or more!"

I'm thinking about getting one. I'm currently running 2-chamber flowmasters and just installed a 2.93 pulley, idler pulley arrives next week. Also switching out my MAC for the Steeda cold air kit. BTW, dynoed 437.8/432.1 with current setup, (just MAC & Flows). Debating on the Diablo Predator vs. their Delta chip to finish the project.

LMK Thanks, Dave 2003 Sonic coupe

Qty Name SKU Price Sub Total
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 555-3115 Steeda Cold Air Kit for 2003 Cobra555-3115 $199.95 $199.95
1 263-4699-man3 Hi-Flow X-pipe for 2003 CobraTBA $399.00 $399.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total $598.95
Grand Total $598.95

http://www.steeda.com/

TruBlu03

The Steeda x-pipe is actually the Magnaflow x-pipe sold under the company name Carsound(think that's the name) of Magnaflow's parent company. They used to use Bassani but switched about a year or so ago. I only know this because I was the owner of the GT they tested and compared on. Anyhoo, the x-pipe is a good unit and well known. Most recomend an h-pipe with flows and an x-pipe with straight through mufflers for best sound/hp combinations. You'll get a bit more power from an x-pipe/straight through setup but it's not really a big deal unless you really want to squeeze out every ounce of power. As far as sound, well that is really up to you. Best thing to do if you can is listen to the setup you plan to pursue. I'd also shop around for the best price, Steeda isn't known for it's rock bottom/competative prices. Not to say I don't buy stuff from them I do, I'm actually a pretty good customer of theirs(I live about 20 minutes from their shop), but I'm still price concious. :D

dkd58

Established Member
I'll check prices on the Magnaflow as well as the h-pipe. Thanks for the input. As far as squeezing out power, I understand the maximum range with the stock fuel system is around 500 hp, would you agree?

TruBlu03

Hopefully someone who knows what the fuel system is capable of will answer because I'm not sure. From posts seen here I would have to assume it can handle more than 500hp though.

dkd58

Established Member
I checked the magnaflow setup and found the msrp comparable to the steeda, a little less. Do you think it's worthwhile to add a mid-pipe and keep the rest of the exhaust stock with the exception of the flowmasters?

Also, I have been told that the problems associated with the mac cai involved installing the older kit that has a smaller diameter than the latest 2003 model. I've heard many good things about the steeda cai lately.

Bottom line is, should I add the x-pipe and switch to the steeda cai, or should I just burn a chip and be done with it?

TruBlu03

Originally posted by dkd58
I checked the magnaflow setup and found the msrp comparable to the steeda, a little less. Do you think it's worthwhile to add a mid-pipe and keep the rest of the exhaust stock with the exception of the flowmasters?

Also, I have been told that the problems associated with the mac cai involved installing the older kit that has a smaller diameter than the latest 2003 model. I've heard many good things about the steeda cai lately.

Bottom line is, should I add the x-pipe and switch to the steeda cai, or should I just burn a chip and be done with it?

Not sure where you checked for prices but I've purchased from Steve at Houstonperformance before and usually has great prices.

The flows might add a bit of hp but are mainly for sound. The mid pipe won't give you much more power, a cat-back is a much better choice if hp is what you are after. Obviously, it will enhance sound greatly as well. Mid pipes are really in addition to for that little extra. But depepnding on what your goals are, there is nothing wrong with a mid pipe, flows and stock cat back. It all really depends on what your intentions are.

I have no info on the MAC CAI other than I've never much liked them on previous rides. I have the Steeda CAI and am very happy with it. It may not give the most power out of the bunch but it works work and does what I need it to. The .Amazon Racing CAI would another good choice IMO.

There are many mods you can do. The best advice I have is try to plan out extacly where you want to go with the car. Once you do that you can start assembling a good list of mods to pursue in beneficial order. I would wait to chip until you are ready for a pulley or header swap.

This forum is a great place to get the info you need. Many experienced modders here who can lead you in the right direction.

dkd58

Established Member
Thank you very much for your input. Just to give an update, here's where I'm at so far. I have installed the 2.93 pulley and am waiting for the idler pulley to arrive. I just ordered a Diablo chip from Steeda as they claim to have performed many of these for the Cobra pulley swap. I also ordered the Steeda CAI. After this is all done, I'm going to choose an exhaust to finish the project. I probably should have done all this in a different sequence, but the end result should be great.

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
The stock fuel system can handle wads of HP 500+. If you planning on running allot more 600+ it would be wise to make changes, injectors, pump, etc. I have not herd of many people changing the fuel rails though.

As for your exhaust system, I'm currently running an all Steeda setup, X-pipe and their Cad-back. If you are interested in hearing the combo, I'm in Chicago land myself email me if you like too hook up.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Hey Dave if headers are in your future, unless your getting shortys I believe you will have to scrap or try and sell your Xpipe cause I dont think they will bolt up to it at least not mid and longtubes. Just a thought :beer:

wtw5974

Head Chef
Established Member
Originally posted by StreetSnake
Hey Dave if headers are in your future, unless your getting shortys I believe you will have to scrap or try and sell your Xpipe cause I dont think they will bolt up to it at least not mid and longtubes. Just a thought :beer:

Ya, your right they will not bolt up to mids and longs.

dkd58

Established Member
I really think at this point that I will have about reached my performance level satisfaction plateau. The pulley-chip-exhaust-CAI will probably do it for me. The added power gain with an x-pipe and cats (not to mention headers) vs. cost seems minimal when compared to the pulley swap I just did. In fact, as for the exhaust, I'm looking closely at the Magnaflow cat-backs as pretty much all I might want. I realize my Flowmasters are considered pretty lame by most but they do improve the sound over stock.

WTW, how do I e-mail you? Your "unlisted" on the forum. BTW, I'm actually in the NW suburbs, maybe we could hook up at the Rolling Meadows car show once it starts up again- damn April snow!

dkd58

Established Member
Replaced the MAC CAI with the Steeda. Noticed that the RPM at idle leveled off right around 750 and stopped fluctuating like it did when the MAC was on. Seems like the mass air meter is happier now. I wouldn't have known about any of this if it were not for the posts in this forum.

Idler pulley installed- very nice. Diablo chip goes in tonight, dyno later this week.

Thanks

Dave

dkd58

Established Member
Dyno run results after chip, idler pulley, steeda intake, ngk plugs. This was done on a different dyno than the last run, hp about the same but torque way up. The exhaust is stock. 447.6 / 456.6

Dyno Sheet

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread