Steeda timing mod

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
I have recently just purchased the steeda timing adjuster.. and i was wondering w/ what mods i have, what should i set the timing at?.. or will my local mustang shop set it up for the best performace for me..?.. thanks.. :p

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Stock timing is 10 degrees. It is best between 12 and 14 degrees depending on the octane and quality of fuel you use. I've seen guys running 100+ octane gas and adding even more timing. You need to listen close for any detonation/spark knock. If that happens, stop right then and back the timing back down.

PS if you do this mod yourself, don't install the crank position sensor back into the block until you have routed the belt.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Between 12 and 14 is a good guage. The T/A is not exact due to the variance of the space between the crank pickup and sensor wheel. It can be off one or two degrees. Meaning, if you install it and set it to 10 degrees it may actually be reading 9 degrees. Which is no big deal. Whatever amount of timing you add in is correct. If you add in 4 degrees it is adding 4.

Example. You install the TA set it to 10 degrees, which is stock, and dyno the car. It is down a tad. The TA is reading a tad less than 10 degrees. Add 1 or 2 degrees to get the car back to the previous dyno runs. The TA will show 12 and you should be back to stock timing. Then you can add about 4 degrees to increase HP.

If you don't have a dyno run, I'd start with 14 degrees and adjust from there. Adding more until you get some sparkknock/detonation at WOT. Then back it down to eliminate that.

PS I would install them myself. It is a very easy mod.

Last edited:

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Ok... great.. well in my local area theres a really good place that works on just mustangs called lomata's... they do really good work.. im not to handy (as of yet) working on the car myself... but im learning.. so im deffinately gonna take it to them..and hopefully they can set it to what i need...Thanks again great white.. big help :)

Users who are viewing this thread