PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Here is the updated list:

1. PWORLDSTANG
2. PWORLDSTANG
3. jredline
4. 2sick4v's
5. Local owner - confirmed for the group buy.
6. Hebertmachine

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Awesome, that makes seven! Three more!
List updated below:
1. PWORLDSTANG
2. PWORLDSTANG
3. jredline
4. 2sick4v's
5. Local owner - confirmed for the group buy.
6. Hebertmachine
7. NoLimitRacing

Liquidsnake

Lok'tar Ogar
Established Member
First, they decided to use gussets to connect the front tube that the steering rack mounts to, and the boxed portion of the k-member (shown below). Even though the front tube on the BMR unit runs in at an angle to support the boxed section, I question whether such a small gusset is adequate. On the phone, Dion@BMR claimed the gussets added a substantial amount of rigidity. However the MM and Steeda units both use a tubular connection in that location, and Steeda even went as far as using an integrated gusset and tubular connection. From research, I do know that tubular chassis support is more resistant to torsional loads, which is what you’d want in this location, and is why you find it on the MM and Steeda unit. But BMR decided to use a small gusset in a location that will be subjected to extreme cornering loads.

The pic below is an old one of the OP’s car I found while searching something unrelated, but it shows what cornering loads the chassis, and therefore k-member can be subjected to.

View attachment 1639923IMG_9314

View attachment 1639924IMG_8780

View attachment 1639925IMG_8930

Not only is the gusset small, it is also short. It is welded mid-way between the front and rear a-arm mounts, whereas the Steeda and MM unit provide support through the rear a-arm mounts. You can buy BMR’s ‘a-arm support brace’ for an additional $69 to help with this, but it’s already incorporated into the Steeda and MM design.

Second, they chose to cut the rear of the boxed chassis section to allow for header clearance. Header clearance is great! But what’s not great is that piece of thin, flimsy metal they welded in place. Where the embossed logo is, you can see literally see a bend in the metal from it simply being too thin, and this is with no load on the car. I don’t suspect this would be an issue if a thicker piece of metal were used. What’s worse is there is an a-arm tab welded to this piece of thin metal on the backside of this cut portion. I don’t know what type of loads run through this section of the k-member, but neither the Steeda nor MM unit uses such thin gauge metal anywhere in their designs.

View attachment 1639926IMG_9053

View attachment 1639927IMG_8892

Also, the upper and lower a-arm mounting holes are extremely close together. The thinness between those two mounting holes just make me scratch my head. This is also apparent at the edge of rear subframe mounting tab where only a marginal amount of metal is there at the end of the tab, along with a tear in the supporting gusset. Surprisingly (or not), issues with thinness is not evident in neither the Steeda or MM unit, as visible in the pics below.

View attachment 1639928IMG_9466

View attachment 1639929IMG_8886

View attachment 1639930IMG_8889

Lastly, the overall weld quality appears to somewhat mediocre to me. The powder coating they use helps mask it, but the Steeda unit had vastly superior welds. Some of this is because the Steeda unit it TIG welded which produces small precise welds. However, the MM unit is not TIG welded (I emailed them and confirmed). Theirs is MIG welded and looks as good, if not better than Steeda’s TIG in my opinion. This is likely a non-issue so long as the welds penetrated, but it certainly speaks to the overall quality, design, and other concerns I’ve noted above.
View attachment 1639931IMG_9453

I recommend anyone looking at the pics to either save them and view them on your phone, or zoom in on your phone and look at the detail. These are all minor details that aren't individually significant, but become significant as a whole in my opinion. These are tangible design and quality concerns that are apparent just from studying published pictures on BMR's site, and comparing them with other pictures posted in past Steeda K-Member threads. I think BMR's idea of a boxed, gussets, and triangulated design is great, but as of now I personally want another shot at the Steeda unit.

I don’t think a K member brace can be used with the steeda K can it? Because looking at the design of the gussets, that’s why the BMR premium K is designed the way it is.

That tube on the steeda K connects behind the A-arm mount to make up for a lack of a brace, whereas on the BMR K, the A-Arm brace mounts between the two sides right there and I’d wager the A-arm brace is just as strong or stronger as those tubes on the steeda.

The BMR brace is also a little more forward than where the oem brace was to allow for header clearance.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Of course you can use a brace with the Steeda version. Here’s where all the fervor started, and lots of info on it:

Chassis & Steering

Glad to see new ones in the works. Mine has been in now for almost seven years and has been perfect since day one.

MMKB1.jpg

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Thanks Joe. I'm unsure of how much the BMR brace would help with the BMR K member, but I do know that the MM brace is a benefit on K-members that retain the stock brace mounting points.

MM did testing on this when designing their K-Member and concurred with Ford that not only was it needed, but that the mounting locations were correct based on where support was needed. If that's the stance that both Ford and MM took from what they learned in development, I won't be the one to argue.

shurur

Established Member
Thanks Joe. I'm unsure of how much the BMR brace would help with the BMR K member, but I do know that the MM brace is a benefit on K-members that retain the stock brace mounting points.

MM did testing on this when designing their K-Member and concurred with Ford that not only was it needed, but that the mounting locations were correct based on where support was needed. If that's the stance that both Ford and MM took from what they learned in development, I won't be the one to argue.

I suspect that the BMR would take the MM 2 or 4 point brace as well.

We will see, as there are two kmember threads going on side by side in this forum!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

Also, Steeda has their "G-Trac" brace that will fit, along with the OE 2-point version. When I bought the MM 4-point brace, I had to just assume it would fit since the mounting points looked the same, and it was a total score that it was perfect (also made sure to let the guys at MM know this).

I did also make a superimposed image of the Steeda and factory K's that lined up perfectly, so I was extremely confident that a brace would fit, especially since they really are a necessity!

K-Member%20overlay.jpg

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
Very happy with the install of mine. Just had to double check the spring perch cups and drill out one hole as it didn’t line up at first but simple fix.

Attachments

• 25E26B21-A4C2-49AB-A641-286B9DFA595F.jpeg
    25E26B21-A4C2-49AB-A641-286B9DFA595F.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 181
  • AF717FB8-A7CB-40E4-8989-E9D0A2DFCC46.jpeg
    AF717FB8-A7CB-40E4-8989-E9D0A2DFCC46.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 186
  • A2216453-2D02-4CCF-881F-F6D0071F8EA0.jpeg
    A2216453-2D02-4CCF-881F-F6D0071F8EA0.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 191

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Honestly doubt Steeda is gonna make anymore of these with the BMR K out. That is once BMR sends out the revised version. They claim they have identified the error in the jig for the 1st batch.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Steeda has confirmed with me that they would. This was in two separate conversations long after the BMR unit released. I think those of us who want a Steeda K-Member refuse to settle for less, and end up with a BMR unit. BMR has had years to develop their unit, and our chassis is old as dirt. After looking at the clear design flaws, and other issues, I personally wouldn’t accept a BMR unit for free. I hope the people who do buy one end up happy in the end.

For everyone else interested in the Steeda unit, unless we can get to ten units, we’ll need to suspend this group buy. I still want one as I’m sure others do, but Steeda was explicit on hitting 10 confirmed units to restart production. If anyone not listed in this group buy wants one in the future, please post up and we can see if we can re-spark interest.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I can't justify the cost plus shipping it would be hard for me... tbth I'm probably gonna wind up sticking with the stocker, some Global West Del-A-Lum forward offset bushings in the stock arms with X2 balljoints and a Ridetech air system because I can't get into my damn driveway without scraping in the new house here in Spain... flipping a switch to go up to stock 4x4 ride height would solve a LOT of drivability issues here where while the highways are amazing... the "county roads" and town roads are not. Just to get out of my town I have to take some super convoluted route through the neighborhood here because of the big speed humps on the main road and my car being lowered about 1.25" right now.

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
Steeda has confirmed with me that they would. This was in two separate conversations long after the BMR unit released. I think those of us who want a Steeda K-Member refuse to settle for less, and end up with a BMR unit. BMR has had years to develop their unit, and our chassis is old as dirt. After looking at the clear design flaws, and other issues, I personally wouldn’t accept a BMR unit for free. I hope the people who do buy one end up happy in the end.

For everyone else interested in the Steeda unit, unless we can get to ten units, we’ll need to suspend this group buy. I still want one as I’m sure others do, but Steeda was explicit on hitting 10 confirmed units to restart production. If anyone not listed in this group buy wants one in the future, please post up and we can see if we can re-spark interest.

If you can get 9 people, I'll be your 10th.

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Thanks. Your post just reminded me of why I've always loved your car. Stupid clean, very tastefully modded, and no expense spared.

It's a stretch at this point, but if anyone else is interested, please post up.

Users who are viewing this thread