Steeda Catback question?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Steeda Catback question?

Originally posted by I-CAN-STANG
:lol1: Is it a straight through design though?

Not sure. I do believe that Borla made the setup, so I would assume so, or it could be a snakey. Either way it sure isn't baffled.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The Steeda CB uses the standard Borla street (non-stinger) muffler. It is a non-chambered 'straight-through' design. I know because I had a Stinger on my '01 with an O/R X-pipe and hated it--so I had a custom CB made with Borlas street (ProXS) mufflers and had to do some research into mufflers, specifically Borlas. The stingers are nice if you keep a catted mid-pipe, but definitely avoid them with an o/r. -J
ps--I wanted to the Steeda CB as my first choice, but the custom CB was a few bucks cheaper and I was able to have the guy do a connection under the IRS.

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
"It is a non-chambered 'straight-through' design."
This is correct. I have this setup and it sounds nice. Not too loud and not too quiet. Hardly any drone with either a catted-x or a cat-less Prochamber.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by biminiLX
The Steeda CB uses the standard Borla street (non-stinger) muffler. It is a non-chambered 'straight-through' design. I know because I had a Stinger on my '01 with an O/R X-pipe and hated it--so I had a custom CB made with Borlas street (ProXS) mufflers and had to do some research into mufflers, specifically Borlas. The stingers are nice if you keep a catted mid-pipe, but definitely avoid them with an o/r. -J
ps--I wanted to the Steeda CB as my first choice, but the custom CB was a few bucks cheaper and I was able to have the guy do a connection under the IRS.
The Steeda muffler is different from the standard Borla muffler. Steeda had it made to their own specs. Even the sound is slightly different. So there is the Stinger, Steeda and regular Borla catbacks.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
The Steeda muffler is different from the standard Borla muffler. Steeda had it made to their own specs...
LOL...I don't think this debate will ever be resolved! :-D

About six weeks ago I called Borla and questioned a product engineer about the "real" difference between the Steeda and Borla 14858 cat-backs. He knew exactly what I was asking about, and he kind of danced around the question a little bit at first...telling me about how the tips were different, etc. Ultimately he told me that these two catbacks use the same muffler internals.

Bob, I know you have said in the past that Borla reps told you just the opposite...so who knows what the real deal is. :shrug: I have never heard these systems back-to-back, but when I have heard them on separate occasions they sounded about the same to me. If I was rich I'd buy both systems and cut them open to end the speculation! :-D

All that debate aside... From the pictures below, you can see that even if they are somehow different, they are extremely similar in their overall design.

My Borla 14858 mufflers have a straight-thru design. You can hold them up and look right through them. The pipe inside the mufffler is perforated and surrounded by packing material...but that's it. There are no baffles or turns in the pipe inside the muffler. Looking at the pictures below, you can see how the pipe goes straight into and out of the muffler on the same side of the muffler.

Steeda Cat-Back...

040-13908-450.jpg

Borla 14858 Cat-Back...

promotional_pic.jpg

I was very interested in the Steeda, but ended up buying the Borla due to it's nicer-looking 4" rolled tips. I was able to pick it up for $589 from Brother's Performance, but now they have it listed for $729?!?! Holy price increase Batman!!! :-D

-Greg

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
LOL...I don't think this debate will ever be resolved! :-D

About six weeks ago I called Borla and questioned a product engineer about the "real" difference between the Steeda and Borla 14858 cat-backs. He knew exactly what I was asking about, and he kind of danced around the question a little bit at first...telling me about how the tips were different, etc. Ultimately he told me that these two catbacks use the same muffler internals.

Bob, I know you have said in the past that Borla reps told you just the opposite...so who knows what the real deal is. :shrug: I have never heard these systems back-to-back, but when I have heard them on separate occasions they sounded about the same to me. If I was rich I'd buy both systems and cut them open to end the speculation! :-D

All that debate aside... From the pictures below, you can see that even if they are somehow different, they are extremely similar in their overall design.

My Borla 14858 mufflers have a straight-thru design. You can hold them up and look right through them. The pipe inside the mufffler is perforated and surrounded by packing material...but that's it. There are no baffles or turns in the pipe inside the muffler. Looking at the pictures below, you can see how the pipe goes straight into and out of the muffler on the same side of the muffler.

I was very interested in the Steeda, but ended up buying the Borla due to it's nicer-looking 4" rolled tips. I was able to pick it up for $589 from Brother's Performance, but now they have it listed for $729?!?! Holy price increase Batman!!! :-D

-Greg

Interesting conversation you had Greg. Wouldn't surprise me at all that the info you are providing here is probably right. I know by now that one person hearing one thing from a company rep usually has to be supported by at least a couple of others. LOL! By the way, what is the retail price difference between the two? Is the Borla catback less than the Steeda?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
...what is the retail price difference between the two?
The 14858 lists for an incredible $850 on Borla.com...but is available through other vendors for around 20% less than that.

The Steeda lists for $610 on Steeda.com. People have said they purchased this one for under $600 from other vendors.

Although I was able to get my 14858 for $589, it now (a month later) shows up as being $730. :(

It looks like the Borla costs at least $100 more than the Steeda. I guess it comes down to how much more someone is willing to pay for the Borla's rolled tips. The Steeda looks to be the better bang for the buck unless you can find someone selling the 14858 at a good discount. :)

-Greg

Users who are viewing this thread