Steeda CAI & Tune: 44hp and 52 ft.lbs

Shin

Established Member
Please try to read the entire post first.

The dyno pulls were made in 4th gear due to the car hitting the speed limiter in 5th gear.

87 vs 93 Octane Dyno Graph ----->>> - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forum

both still above 350whp...

Can you please provide that proof? I think you have it backwards.

Regardless, it is the delta (before vs after) that is the meaningful part of this sort of test, not how high (or low) the HP was compared to some other car on some other dyno.

backwards

It's been mentioned before this is my quickest "proof" a photo of this months 5.0 mag
4723218644_4238d6c70f_o.jpg

Shin

Established Member
Notice how the 5th gear pull wins up until 5k RPM? The longer pull is then causing the cat temp model to kick in, richening the car to keep from melting the cats. So this really isn't an equal comparison until the cat temp model is shut off. Then 5th gear wins every time.

Did you read what my post says? on this car 4th dyno's higher, of course if you alter the stock tune the 1:1 will post accurate/better numbers BUT your post still goes along with my original, Steeda's numbers are really low.

Erick

Established Member
I'm only reporting what I read. I'm not trying to defend Steeda in any way, but it makes sense. Also, like Bob Cosby said, this post is about the gains of the CAI, or lack there of.

From Steeda:
Originally Posted by SteedaGus
"We have some numbers now we are ready to release. But first a little background.

In 5th gear this car dyno'd at 368hp but would hit the speed limiter before the rev limiter due to our car being a 3.31 gear equipped car. In 4th gear the car dyno'd at 336hp at the wheels.

We decided to work with the car in 4th gear. As I mentioned earlier in this thread this will produce lower numbers all around, from the baseline number to the final number so they should not be used to compare against other cars.

As mentioned earlier a car with 3.73's will also dyno slightly differently in both 4th and 5th gears. Add on top of that the fact not every dyno reads the same, different days with different weather conditions produce different results, etc and it becomes nearly impossible to make accurate apples to apples comparisons.

That is why discussions on power numbers can become so heated. With questions whether one company or even an enthusiasts dyno number is accurate, what it really means, will it affect performance?... etc... etc...

In addition, with the speed limiter removed and rev limiter increased wheel speeds in 5th were going 170+. As unlikely as it was that a tire would blow out from that wheel speed we decided safety first and did our testing in 4th to keep the wheel speeds safe.

The attached dyno sheet is from pulls done on the same day, on the same dyno, on the same car, all in 4th gear on a manual transmission 2011 5.0 with 3.31 gears. This is the culmunation of over 8 months worth or work both here and with Ford right in Dearborn on pre-production cars. The numbers shown are the result of the cold air and custom tuning. Like our 05-2010 Cold air kits a custom tune/cold air package will be required for these gains.

Peak gains are 44.04 horsepower and 52.84 ft/lbs of torque, with even higher point to point gains. The highlighted point at 5500 shows a gain of 59.83 horsepower and 59.19 ft.lbs of torque. These gains are on 93 octane fuel. The baseline number was on a completely stock car with 87 octane fuel as delivered from Ford."

Last edited:

Erick

Established Member
where is SCT? why the delay?
They just released it

"Now available!!!!

The 2011 Mustang 5.0L preloaded tune files add up to 28 RWHP & 34 ft-lbs Torque to the automatic transmission equipped Mustang, and a tire shredding 32 RWHP & 32 ft-lbs of toruque to the to the 6 speed manual transmission vehicles. SCT's new 2011 Mustang 5.0L preloaded tune files also increase throttle response, shift firmness and remove the Mustang's Top Speed and RPM Rev limiter, allowing maximum performance from your 2011 Mustang GT.

For more information on SCT's Custom Tuning Software or Preloaded Device contact SCT Performance at 407-774-2447"

Jesse@SCT

Last edited:

rexisme

Established Member
I didn't read all the responses. But after reading that little excerpt. Aren't we seeing at least a 20hp gain when going from 87 octane to 93 octane? Then with a custom tune another roughly 20-28hp gain? So how much does their intake with a tune actually add? 4 hp?

Users who are viewing this thread