Stearing still groans :(

mfergel

Established Member
Steering still groans :(

So, I had replaced the power steering pump because it was groaning on stand stills when I turned the wheel. Seemed to be working fine for about a week after installing a used steering pump. Then it started groaning again. Went out and bought a new (well, refurb) steering pump from autozone. Still groans. Now, I realize it's "possible" the new one is shot too but I'm starting to think not. It seems like it works fine under normal driving conditions with speed but slow corners and especially parking spots are extremely obvious that somethings wrong? Especially seems like turning right is worse than turning left. What else could it be? Steering rack?????

Last edited:

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Did you purge the air out of the system?

If not then put the front on stands and turn the wheel to left lock then to right lock very slowly and about 30 times.

Last edited:

mfergel

Established Member
As near as I can tell yes. I had the front up by driving onto a couple of 2x8's so maybe not high enough. Filled, ran car for about 5 minutes, refilled, turned steering slowly to left/right lock several times.

mfergel

Established Member
Parked on a hill and went through the entire bleeding process just to make sure and still no good. Almost worse.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Are you using the correct fluid? I've used Lucas power steering additive to quiet down the power steering on a few cars. Most were on Chrysler minivans when I worked at Dodge. Supposedly there was a tsb instructing to add some Lucas to these cars to quiet them down when no real problems can be found and/or pump replacement did not fix the problem. I never saw the tsb with my own eyes but an older tech there told me about it, and it worked.

Maybe give it a try. I used some on my Cobra also when the PS pump started to get noisy and it shut it up a bit.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

mfergel

Established Member
Added some Lucas additive. Didn't help. This pump is almost noisier than the one I replaced. Wonder if there's a chance this pump is bad??

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Are you using regular old power steering fluid? If so that could be your problem. I believe the newer Fords take Mercon.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread