Steaming radiator?

Huff035

Established Member
So I finally have gotten my motor back and installed after a lengthy process. First start was yesterday...

Today I started the burping process. Well my radiator started to produce steam as the car got up to temp... I'm kind of lost. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere for it to produce steam. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New 170 thermostat, new water pump..

evolve

Established Member
Burp again. Sounds like you might be overheating, or is it possible you put the t stat in the wrong way?

Huff035

Established Member
Temp was reading ok on the gauge but as soon as it started to steam I shut it down. I'm pretty sure it's in the right way because I was checking to make sure that it was as I was doing it. Going to let it cool tonight and try again tomorrow.

Would a bad t-stat cause this? Is it even possible to have a new one that is bad out of the box?

evolve

Established Member
It doesn't sound like you have a leak. But you definitely have a temperature/cooling issue. What kind of water pump did you install? What kind of t stat?

Huff035

Established Member
I've been reading and searching... Someone said something about the coolant to water mixture? That doesn't even sound right. Could it be a bad radiator?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
No way something could have gotten clogged? Being that everything is new, and you didnt have any issues before, start to eliminate things... Put the stock thermostat back in and see if it does it... if yes then do your best to burp it, and if it still doesn't work i would try flushing the radiator with it out of the car and get some pressure through it.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Let it run..it ciuld be over flow and debris from work done..

Allow it to get hot and burn off some..than see how it looks..

Huff035

Established Member
Let it run..it ciuld be over flow and debris from work done..

Allow it to get hot and burn off some..than see how it looks..

Ok, thanks.

Improperly burped hands down. Especially with a completely emptied motor.

I'm hoping this is the case. I've only burped it once which was this time. So I'll try it again... Hopefully it works itself out. ThAnks for the reply. How many times should I have to do this?

Sagittaria

Established Member
Ok, thanks.

I'm hoping this is the case. I've only burped it once which was this time. So I'll try it again... Hopefully it works itself out. ThAnks for the reply. How many times should I have to do this?

Best way to make sure is to take a funnel place it on the crossover plug and fill it to the brim (the funnel should sit to where the cone seals around the crossover tube). So there's some more pressure to push into all the little air pockets in the motor. It'll be a bit messy once it gets full. Then drive it for a little bit. Then repeat. You usually notice the coolant reservoir empty out a little bit. All the air collects there. But I fill the reservoir then I repeat the funnel trick. I usually get it in two tries.

But if you didn't have a emptied motor (IE: you just drained coolant from the radiator and didn't pull the engine coolant plug) then you can get away with just one time. Most of the airpockets in the motor are still filled.

Last edited:

Huff035

Established Member
Best way to make sure is to take a funnel place it on the crossover plug and fill it to the brim (the funnel should sit to where the cone seals around the crossover tube). So there's some more pressure to push into all the little air pockets in the motor. It'll be a bit messy once it gets full. Then drive it for a little bit. Then repeat. You usually notice the coolant reservoir empty out a little bit. All the air collects there. But I fill the reservoir then I repeat the funnel trick. I usually get it in two tries.

But if you didn't have a emptied motor (IE: you just drained coolant from the radiator and didn't pull the engine coolant plug) then you can get away with just one time. Most of the airpockets in the motor are still filled.

Well i've had the funnel in the crossover and have done it like i always have before. (the correct process) but this was a new motor/block everything. might just take some more time. I havent driven the car at all so driving it might help release an air pocket. I do have the front in the air though, since that is supposed to assist with the process.

Is there a trick to making sure there isnt air in the radiator? maybe a petcock on the bottom?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread