State Income Tax Opinion - Country boys opinions not needed :D

starnsey

Established Member
So here's the deal: I start my new job on Monday in Seattle. After two-or-so months of training, I'll be based out of Longview, WA, 40 miles north of Portland, OR. My wife will have to work out of her company's remote office in Portland so we're pretty much boned there either way with Oregon state income taxes.

I already know what some of you country-folk and hardcore conservatives' opinions are, so I'm looking for people more interested in city-life: would it be worth it to pay an additional $6500 per year to live in Portland in a more "hip" area as opposed to saving that $6500 per year and living in Vancouver where the more "urban" scene is super localized and the apartments and what not aren't as good of quality?

Living in Vancouver, WA would save that $6500/year and knock a couple minutes off my commute but the scene over there isn't as interesting as Portland. My wife and I have lived in the suburbs since we graduated college and we're tired of living in boring-ass areas with no cool bars or restaurants to go to and being surrounded by angry, old people. Downtown Vancouver is pretty interesting but the apartments there have shit reviews: they look really nice but have paper thin walls, etc. Whereas Northern Portland has really nice apartments with outstanding reviews and substantially more stuff to do.

Like I said, I don't need opinions from those of you that love living fifty miles away from other people. That's great if it works for you, but that isn't what we're looking for. And I know everyone on here hates taxes and hippies and shit so you don't need to reiterate that any further. Just wondering if someone in my shoes would sacrifice the additional dough to be in a more interesting area.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Depends on your financial position, If you can afford it, live in Portland.

starnsey

Established Member
Sounds like you already know what you want to do.

It may sound like it but I'm pretty well torn between saving the money and living somewhere interesting. We can for sure afford it, but is it truly worth it? I'm not sure!

For example, living in Vancouver gives us relatively easy access to Portland where things are more lively, but I enjoy being able to just walk or bike to a coffee shop or bar or restaurant. But then again, maybe I won't even have time to do that stuff except for on weekends so getting into Portland won't be a huge deal. So hard to know!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
IIRC, you have no kids? If not i don't know your intention in regards to. But it is easier to move away from the "scene" as opposed to move toward it. Live life and have plans/ideas for the future.

Equalbracket

Established Member
You're moving from Houston? Anywhere else will be such an improvement it doesn't matter. That said in my personal experience the further from the the "hip" the further from the crime. You will probably regret living in an "interesting" area, at least once, till you finally learn that's why successful smart people get the hell out of those areas, and why those areas eventually turn ratchet, which is a never ending cycle.

Lol also kind of funny you don't want opinions from probably 85% of the forum.... which don't live in places with foot traffic on the way to go get some 40z from da stow.

Last edited:

starnsey

Established Member
If you only want opinions from one side of the argument why even ask the question?

Eh, not quite. Vancouver isn't the sticks. I'm asking about the more urban areas of Vancouver vs Portland which is pretty much completely urban. So, incorrect.

IIRC, you have no kids? If not i don't know your intention in regards to. But it is easier to move away from the "scene" as opposed to move toward it. Live life and have plans/ideas for the future.

No kids and no intention to have kids.

You're moving from Houston? Anywhere else will be such an improvement it doesn't matter. That said in my personal experience the further from the the "hip" the further from the crime. You will probably regret living in an "interesting" area, at least once, till you finally learn that's why successful smart people get the hell out of those areas, and why those areas eventually turn ratchet, which is a never ending cycle.

Haha indeed this entire part of the country is better than Houston. Not too concerned with crime. Plenty of smart, successful people in the urban areas up here. Hell, Seattle is full of those kinds of people and they're obviously not going anywhere and Seattle is an incredible city in its entirety. Some sketchy areas but its maybe a couple blocks that are about as bad as the best "bad" parts of Houston.

Last edited:

Equalbracket

Established Member
Eh, not quite. Vancouver isn't the sticks. I'm asking about the more urban areas of Vancouver vs Portland which is pretty much completely urban. So, incorrect.

No kids and no intention to have kids.

Haha indeed this entire part of the country is better than Houston. Not too concerned with crime. Plenty of smart, successful people in the urban areas up here. Hell, Seattle is full of those kinds of people and they're obviously not going anywhere and Seattle is an incredible city in its entirety. Some sketchy areas but its maybe a couple blocks that are about as bad as the best "bad" parts of Houston.

Houston is so bad, good for you getting away from it, and farrrr away from it lol. Crime is 100% irrelevant where I live and the most important factor for me, personally. I would not pick the cheaper apartment tho. If crime rates are similar, I would have the better house, or whatever.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
"Hip." "Urban scene."

Sounds like you'll fit right in, city slicker. Enjoy getting badgered by the homeless everytime you step foot outside.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
"I'd like to hear your opinion as long as it is the same as mine".

Serious question: How does living in another City in the same State affect your State Income Tax? Is that is a WA thing?

Rct851

Established Member
Did you factor in your food/entertainment expense increase from living in the city? With more fun options is easier to find an excuse to go out where in suburbia your going to be at a grocery store more if assume.

Dusten

Established Member
SweetSVT, Portland and Vancouver are not in the same state, and Washington doesn't have income tax.

jbs$

Established Member
Where are you coming up with the $6500 number as the extra cost for city living? This number looks very low, for two people. Are you selling your cars? Have you properly priced housing in a neighborhood that you really want to live in? Just eating out and doing city things that are the reason for considering the move will go through $6500 in a heart beat.

Dusten

Established Member
Where are you coming up with the $6500 number as the extra cost for city living? This number looks very low, for two people. Are you selling your cars? Have you properly priced housing in a neighborhood that you really want to live in? Just eating out and doing city things that are the reason for considering the move will go through $6500 in a heart beat.

I'm guessing that's the increase in sales tax. Portland and Vancouver should have pretty similar COL considering they are 10 minutes away from each other.

I would personally live in Portland. I think its that much nicer of a town. Granted, I grew up in Oregon, and have lived in Washington since 2001.

Machdup1

Established Member
If you are going to the city thing, go big or go home. A couple of localized area of interest would get old quick if you are looking for a positive change.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Also, might not be relevant to you, but you could purchase something in one area, drive a mile and it become a felony. Just saying.

starnsey

Established Member
Did you factor in your food/entertainment expense increase from living in the city? With more fun options is easier to find an excuse to go out where in suburbia your going to be at a grocery store more if assume.

Definitely, but we're pretty good about not getting too carried away with the kind of thing. Obviously, there are going to be the "**** it" nights during the week but I don't think we'd get too carried away.

Yeah, the $6500 is the amount my income would be taxed due to the state income tax of Oregon. My wife's income will already be taxed regardless of where we live since her office will have to be in Portland either way.

I'm guessing that's the increase in sales tax. Portland and Vancouver should have pretty similar COL considering they are 10 minutes away from each other.

I would personally live in Portland. I think its that much nicer of a town. Granted, I grew up in Oregon, and have lived in Washington since 2001.

Yeah, it seems the popularity of Portland is spilling over into Vancouver. Apparently they're experience a "crisis" of sorts in Vancouver due to the rising cost of real estate.

If you are going to the city thing, go big or go home. A couple of localized area of interest would get old quick if you are looking for a positive change.

Definitely a good point. My wife and I essentially went to the same place every week in Houston since it was the only decent bar within 5 minutes of us. Enjoyed it and had a great relationship with the bartenders but it could certainly get old food-wise and scenery-wise. And it closed at like 9 PM on weeknights and 10 PM on weekends. Portland would provide more options at the cost of a little bit longer commute for myself.

Also, might not be relevant to you, but you could purchase something in one area, drive a mile and it become a felony. Just saying.

If you're talking about MJ, its recreationally legal in both states. That doesn't really pertain to me since my company requires drug screening.

The other big problem with Portland is getting closer to an hour commute for me. I drove 120 miles round trip every day for three years for my first job in North Texas. Granted, I didn't enjoy the job anyway, and this new job is nearly a dream job, but damn did I hate that commute. Wiped out time in the evening from exercising and what not. But if it really gets that bad I could just exercise up near work during lunch or before heading home in the evenings.

starnsey

Established Member
"I'd like to hear your opinion as long as it is the same as mine".

Serious question: How does living in another City in the same State affect your State Income Tax? Is that is a WA thing?

lol, like I said, I know my wife and I are both not interested in living in suburbia again or out in rural areas. Its comparing two similar areas but one has more stuff to do and better living situations at the cost of a greater expense.

I just know some people love rural living due to low cost of living and it doesn't help if fifty people say "live where its cheapest because taxes blow". I already know that side of things.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread