Starting over AI race car build

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Took a year or so off in disgust after planting my AI race car into the wall at Kansas speedway.

Woke up this morning and figured it's time to start working on the bastard again. Went out to the garage and started pulling the wrecked car apart. I have a 99 v6 that I'll be swapping parts onto and adding a cage to.

I have no timeline on this and I don't want one. Central region race schedule is meh this year. Would be a lot of miles towing to even run half the scheduled races.

Stay tuned.

DocB

Established Member
I know how you feel. Good luck with the build.
Now you can build it better than ever.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That's the plan, there was a lot of good on the last car but it had some bad things too. Cage was technically illegal per the NASA rule book. It had a split x on the diagonal braces at the main hoop. This time it will be built to the CCR.

*edit* Reread the NASA CCR.... Specifically cage rules 2501-3000lbs (without driver and fuel) cage tubing spec is 1.75x.095. My race car last time was 30-40 lbs under 3k with fuel in the tank and no driver.

Last car had short small tube subframe connectors this car will have full length sfcs welded in before any other work begins. I would do through the floor sfcs but I don't think the driver side through the floor would allow me to put my seat as low as I want it. I'm tall and I like to sit very low and very far back in the car. Double bonus weight to the back and my tall ass is better protected being low inside the car.

Ripped some more interior bits out of the 99 V6 interior last night. 3/25/16

*edit * Got a line on a degas bottle off a local ford probe that's being parted out. Wrecked the race car and when I lifted the hood I said "dammit it smashed the degas bottle!!!!" The lfp radiator didn't bother me, just that degas bottle because I know they can be a bastard to get ahold of!!!!

3/31/16 The cobra r degas bottle is here!!! Got it for $25 shipped!! :pepper:

Started pulling parts of the engine bay of the wrecked car, found that the abs unit punched a fist sized hole through the front timing cover. Pass side primary chain looks to be very slack, won't know how much damage there is until I can tear more off the front end.

Last edited:

gregscott

Established Member
Did it look like this, before and after?
th_IMG_54112_zpsc702d7b9.gif

th_photo22_zpseb9d6ca8.gif

Re do.

repaired_zps91cd5ef7.gif

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
That's the plan, there was a lot of good on the last car but it had some bad things too. Cage was technically illegal per the NASA rule book. It had a split x on the diagonal braces at the main hoop. This time it will be built to the CCR.

*edit* Reread the NASA CCR.... Specifically cage rules 2501-3000lbs (without driver and fuel) cage tubing spec is 1.75x.095. My race car last time was 30-40 lbs under 3k with fuel in the tank and no driver.

Last car had short small tube subframe connectors this car will have full length sfcs welded in before any other work begins. I would do through the floor sfcs but I don't think the driver side through the floor would allow me to put my seat as low as I want it. I'm tall and I like to sit very low and very far back in the car. Double bonus weight to the back and my tall ass is better protected being low inside the car.

Ripped some more interior bits out of the 99 V6 interior last night. 3/25/16

*edit * Got a line on a degas bottle off a local ford probe that's being parted out. Wrecked the race car and when I lifted the hood I said "dammit it smashed the degas bottle!!!!" The lfp radiator didn't bother me, just that degas bottle because I know they can be a bastard to get ahold of!!!!

3/31/16 The cobra r degas bottle is here!!! Got it for $25 shipped!! :pepper:

Started pulling parts of the engine bay of the wrecked car, found that the abs unit punched a fist sized hole through the front timing cover. Pass side primary chain looks to be very slack, won't know how much damage there is until I can tear more off the front end.

Did it still have that funky rear suspension?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I guess if by funky you mean an IRS then yeah it had an IRS. New build will use the IRS too.

MFE

Established Member
Forgot about the IRS. Before then it used upper links in place of the quadshocks, never seen before or since.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Did it look like this, before and after?
th_IMG_54112_zpsc702d7b9.gif

th_photo22_zpseb9d6ca8.gif

Re do.

repaired_zps91cd5ef7.gif

Close to the same but I think mine was worse, shifter is sitting at a weird angle in the tunnel. The k member did shift on its mounts.

Your car looks good. I like the satin black hood and details. I think I'm going to go back with of all things John Deere blitz black.

Forgot about the IRS. Before then it used upper links in place of the quadshocks, never seen before or since.

Hmmm that had to have been before I had ever even seen the car.

5/2/16

Removed the seats, center console, carpet, door panels and speakers. E brake handle is nearly ready to remove also. Dash is coming out soon, air bags and steering column too.

Lots of sound deadening to remove.

Subframe install then it's time to cage the beast.

5/7/16
More stripping....
Sun visors, dome light and headliner came out this evening, most of the headliner adhesive peeled right off the roof easily, used my wife's hairdryer on the stubborn parts. A pillar trim pieces are off. E brake handle is removed and the cable is disconnected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread