starting mods for my 05 stang?

Oman_cobra

Established Member
so i want to start moding my 2005 mustang..
i have a couple of ideas in my mind, but im sure it would help me if i hear more suggestions..
ok, so 1st of all, im going to be using my car for a long time (prob 5 0r 6 years) so i dont want to make it a very high horsepower car.. because its my daily use vehicle..
im thinking of JLT CAI (is it the best?)
Short or Long Headers?
full aftermarket exhaust system (Borla, Bassani,etcc which brand is the best)
programmer (SCT or Diablo Sport?)
& if i did all of the above, how much aprox. hp i'll gain?
any other suggestions??

thanx in advance..

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
if you want a nice, quick, and EASY hp gain (short of supercharging), then hop on a cai/cmrc delete/tune combo with an off-road mid pipe. That stuff is relatively cheap and gives great rewards.

For cai, I recommend either of JLT, C&L, or DeMolet.
For tuner, I recommend an SCT tune from BamaChips, Brenspeed, or Evolution.
For cmrc delete plates, the cast aluminum FRPP plates are cheaper than the billet aluminum Steeda plates and they do the same thing... just one is cast and one is billet. However, the FRPP's are now discontinued through Ford, but now Steeda sells the cast versions as an "economy" plate as well... it's a mess to describe what went down with Steeda & Ford. However, my neighbor just removed some FRPP delete plates from his car since he bought a Kenne Bell. He wants to sell his.
You will need a tune for the cmrc deletes, but if you get a tuner kit from one of the sources above, they can kill 2 birds with one stone and put the cmrc delete tune in your tuner right off the bat.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
my wife's 06 gt convertible auto transmission
*eibach pro kit springs
*jtl cold air intake
*evolution performance 93 octante tune
*ford racing (borla stingers) axleback exhaust
the car is fun to drive on a daily basis.
here is a clip of the exhaust and a pic.

http://media.putfile.com/mustan-gt-borla

loweredbordersi9.jpg

Oman_cobra

Established Member
DMassey said:
if you want a nice, quick, and EASY hp gain (short of supercharging), then hop on a cai/cmrc delete/tune combo with an off-road mid pipe. That stuff is relatively cheap and gives great rewards.

For cai, I recommend either of JLT, C&L, or DeMolet.
For tuner, I recommend an SCT tune from BamaChips, Brenspeed, or Evolution.
For cmrc delete plates, the cast aluminum FRPP plates are cheaper than the billet aluminum Steeda plates and they do the same thing... just one is cast and one is billet. However, the FRPP's are now discontinued through Ford, but now Steeda sells the cast versions as an "economy" plate as well... it's a mess to describe what went down with Steeda & Ford. However, my neighbor just removed some FRPP delete plates from his car since he bought a Kenne Bell. He wants to sell his.
You will need a tune for the cmrc deletes, but if you get a tuner kit from one of the sources above, they can kill 2 birds with one stone and put the cmrc delete tune in your tuner right off the bat.

thanx man.. appreciate your reply & actually im now more into the 1st two steps ( JLTCAI & SCT) but sorry if i may sound *un-awared of the third part?!
& what does the CMRC Delete plates do?
thanx again bro..

& thanx for all you guyz again

Last edited:

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Charge Motion Control Plates (CMRC)

Basically they are plates that fit between the intake and the heads and they have valves that control the airflow based on the load and RPM and such.

More or less at low RPM the head thinks it has small diameter long intake ports (high torque) and at high RPM the valves open up and the head thinks it has short large diameter ports (high horsepower)

The reason for replacing these plates is two fold.
1. The Steeda plates for example remove the valve ( which is actually just a flap) which opens up the port and allows it to flow more air.
2. You can get the Steeda CMRC delete plates with bosses set up for nitrous injection, making it fairly easy to do direct port nitrous injection, which is a very nice setup.

Hope that answers your questions.

UrS4

Established Member
CAI+tune
Gears
UDPs
CMCPs
Mid pipe

These should be the least expensive and best bang for your buck to wake up your stang!

Pretty much what everyone else is saying.

Oman_cobra

Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
Charge Motion Control Plates (CMRC)

Basically they are plates that fit between the intake and the heads and they have valves that control the airflow based on the load and RPM and such.

More or less at low RPM the head thinks it has small diameter long intake ports (high torque) and at high RPM the valves open up and the head thinks it has short large diameter ports (high horsepower)

The reason for replacing these plates is two fold.
1. The Steeda plates for example remove the valve ( which is actually just a flap) which opens up the port and allows it to flow more air.
2. You can get the Steeda CMRC delete plates with bosses set up for nitrous injection, making it fairly easy to do direct port nitrous injection, which is a very nice setup.

Hope that answers your questions.
thanx alot bro,it realy helped..
plus i found this nice article..
thought i'de share it
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0510_pauls_high_performance_cmrc_delete_kit/

Oman_cobra

Established Member
i wish it isnt a problem Bamachips, or any other SCT XLA2 tune dealer (like Pauls High performance, which im considering) shipping it to my place, Oman..

HerNameIsPonie

LAMC ftw
Established Member
I have a jlt cai and sct tuner. My friend steve has similar mods but he also has magna packs and he dynod. 305.Rwhp and 310 torque

Oman_cobra

Established Member
ok, i have one question..
because i understood that the Delete plates are dealing with the airflow from the heads, so they will benifit me if im not planning to install headers, right?
in other words, can i install both the delete plates & headers??

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Delete plates reduce teh restriction to the incoming air to the intake ports in the heads.

Headers take the exhaust from the exhaust ports in the heads and route it to the mid pipe.

Yes you can do both.

Oman_cobra

Established Member
swoosh_stang said:
Delete plates reduce teh restriction to the incoming air to the intake ports in the heads.

Headers take the exhaust from the exhaust ports in the heads and route it to the mid pipe.

Yes you can do both.
thanx man..
& sorry if i seemed *un-awared about these delete kits

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
Does any one have a clip f how the 2 Chamber Flowmaster or Magnaflow Mangapack sound on an 05+? Also, what about the H&R springs? I have the Super Sports on my 00 and it is perfect - are they still as effective on the new style Mustangs? Finally, what do ppl think about the Hurst Billet shifter? It looks sweet for the new cars - just wondering about performance...

Thanks - sorry for the additional qus but they do fit with the initial subject line.

~Darren

UrS4

Established Member
Darren,

I don't have a clip of the flows or magnas but my opinion is they don't sound as good on the 3V as they do on the 2V. Most 05+ guys are running the eibach pro springs and the ones with the sportlines can look a little too low with certain wheel tire combos. I would imagine the H&R SS springs would drop it as much as the sportlines. Also, I have seen that the H&R seem to be stiffer than eibachs. As far as the Hurst shifter, many people really like theirs. I happen to prefer that look and was about to buy one when I realized that 1) the unit looks very close to the stock one 2) Hurst got bought out and the shifter is hard to find 3) MGW makes a better shifter.

BooRail85

Banned
+1 on the long tube headers... definitely a great mod on all modulars. RPMOutlet has a heck of a package. JBA long tubes, JBA o/r h pipe, Motoblue over axle pipes and a pypes violator axleback. all stainless steel, and inclues all bolts/gaskets and the o2 extentions. $900. $50 shipping. For another $100, you can get the SLP powerflow axleback, for $150 extra the Bassani axleback, and for $200 extra the corsa axleback.

I am going with this route, and am opting for the Corsa hopefully. Just the JBA headers and the Corsa Axleback is over $1200 retail price, so for $1150 shipped including everything else is a heck of a deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread